PLEASE NOTE: This is the Archived Sexyloops Board from years 2004-2013.
Our active community is here: https://www.sexyloops.co.uk/theboard/

Where to get cobblers wax?

Mike Connor
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Mike Connor »

Someday, I will post one of my own attempts at cat-strangling.

Or maybe even a whistle tune?

I do believe there are some vocals buried somewhere in this beast. Mayhap, migration notwithstanding, they are still attainable? Of course only by those of brave heart, and strong stomach.

Not quite such a trial as being unexpectedly confronted with an "Arden´s Arrrghhhh", but not for the timid either!

TL
MC
totsy
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by totsy »

Thanks Mike i go along with DD. You really do know everything, like an oracle. I dont think you are a normal being, maybe some kind of omnipresent gas!

CT Its for Greenwells. I want to see how much i can vari the colour, i will PM you, thanks.

P.S. i know nothing of bagpipes but i do have a crazy logger every 2 years from Dumfies who comes down for the rugby.
Cheers, Lee.
Orvis Endorsed

www.doublehaul.co.uk/
cracked_tooth
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by cracked_tooth »

totsy wrote:Thanks Mike i go along with DD. You really do know everything, like an oracle. I dont think you are a normal being, maybe some kind of omnipresent gas!

CT Its for Greenwells. I want to see how much i can vari the colour, i will PM you, thanks.
No problem Lee.

After lasts nights few drams there may be hint of omnipresent gas in the vicinity of Mike. :laugh:
Mike Connor
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Mike Connor »

Naa, I don´t know everything. I have spent a very great deal of my life either, fishing , flydressing, or reading about it. Unfortunately I also had to work for a living!

I tell you, work is the bane of the fishing class! :)

TL
MC
wsbailey
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by wsbailey »

Here is a cobbler's wax source. Bill

http://www.thebagpipeplace.com/store/page130.html
Mike Connor
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Mike Connor »

Good link Bill! That wax will work well for treating thread. The other information there is also germane. Most especially that the term "Cobbler´s wax" covers a multitude of substances.

Wax with lampblack or coal tar and similar stuff is not suitable. It physically darkens the thread.

The point of waxing thread for flies like the Greenwell´s Glory, is to give it a translucent olive colour.

Bright yellow or primrose thread is used, and simply treating this with beeswax gives it this translucent effect. No colour is required in the wax.

One may also treat floss, but one needs a somewhat less hard wax, as otherwise the floss shreds easily when being pulled through the wax.

Using waxed floss, instead of thread, allows one to shape the body better, and the body also then has a flat surface, which is then indented as required with the gold wire ribbing.

Applying wax to any silk makes it appear translucent, and seems to alter the perceived colour. It does not actually alter the colour though. Colour additives in the wax are to be avoided.

For years I have been cheating on my bagpipe reeds etc, and instead of wax, I use string treated with evo-stik, which is actually a contact glue. It dries flexible, and waterproofs the string very well. I don´t play much any more anyway, since I moved into a flat. I rather doubt my neighbours would appreciate it!

TL
MC
Mike Connor
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Mike Connor »

For everything except touch dubbing, I mainly use ordinary beeswax. This is a light to dark honey colour, and can be obtained almost everywhere. A block such as the one pictured below will last a very long time. The block depicted has been much used, and is over twenty years old.

One may also use beeswax candles, and indeed I knew a few people who used rendered bacon fat. The effect is the same, but the fat washes off more quickly.

The fat was also used to treat lines and flies, to make them float.

The fly shown below has such a waxed silk body. The original thread colour was primrose yellow. After treatment this takes on a medium olive colour, and seems translucent. The original colour of the thread may be seen at the head. Normally I would varnish the head on such flies with either dark brown spirit varnish, or black cellire, but I tied these flies up for a specific article, and did not get around to varnishing them.
Attachments
y3_3.GIF
y3_3.GIF (31.75 KiB) Viewed 1527 times
Mike Connor
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Mike Connor »

The beeswax is shown below.

One can obtain it almost anywhere, as here for instance;

http://www.discountcandleshop.com/product_info.php/products_id/805

Many places offer one ounce blocks quite cheaply.

If you do actually wish to experiment with coloured waxes, then get a set of these;

http://www.aesopsroom.com/html/productdetailVB.asp?SKU=LU-00

The "Lyra wax giants" offer a good range of blendable colours;

http://www.aesopsroom.com/html/productdetailVB.asp?SKU=LU-06

TL
MC
Attachments
silkandbeeswax.GIF
silkandbeeswax.GIF (18.15 KiB) Viewed 1527 times