Search Members Help

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 3 of 11<<1234567>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic
Topic: Have an Exam date< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 21
Lasse Karlsson Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 15 2009,16:27  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Marc, haven't gone yet  :cool:

Jim, I used and use eggyarn, best fluff you can get  :p  I agree with Chase about the colours.

Cheers
Lasse

--------------
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Gone.....
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 22
grhen Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 15 2009,17:27 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Prinsviggo @ Sep. 15 2009,06:32)
...when casting this sucker I aim down towards the hoop, rotate late and end up with the rod tip close to the ground, is that OK? It's hard to cast in a horizontal plane with that amount of line, after the stop in FC just about everything might happen to the leader if I do.

For the CCI test keep in mind that you will be judged partly on your loop formation. From your description I am imagining you end up with no loop or a very wide loop on the delivery cast.

If you cast accuracy in a horizontal plane be prepared to defend why and to discuss the variables and benefits of casting horizontal as opposed to a higher angle.

The blue line is the target and the dotted lines are a targets width apart. As you get more hoizontal the margin of error becomes greater.

BTW, even Lefty casts in an elbow forward, near vertical plane when trying for accuracy at trout distances.

--------------
tp://CastFlys.Com]CastFlys.Com[/URL]
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 23
Prinsviggo Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 15 2009,18:47 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(grhen @ Sep. 15 2009,17:27)

(Prinsviggo @ Sep. 15 2009,06:32)
...when casting this sucker I aim down towards the hoop, rotate late and end up with the rod tip close to the ground, is that OK? It's hard to cast in a horizontal plane with that amount of line, after the stop in FC just about everything might happen to the leader if I do.

For the CCI test keep in mind that you will be judged partly on your loop formation. From your description I am imagining you end up with no loop or a very wide loop on the delivery cast.

If you cast accuracy in a horizontal plane be prepared to defend why and to discuss the variables and benefits of casting horizontal as opposed to a higher angle.

The blue line is the target and the dotted lines are a targets width apart. As you get more hoizontal the margin of error becomes greater.

BTW, even Lefty casts in an elbow forward, near vertical plane when trying for accuracy at trout distances.

Thanks a bunch for the sketches but I'm afraid I didn't manage to get my message out. What I meant was that with only half a meter of fly line outside the rod tip it's hard to cast without tilting the casting plane forward. A high BC and low FC is what I'm doing to decrease the amount of air between the leader and ground as it stretches. Normally I use an up and down going motion of my elbow for accuracy (like Borgers FCS) but I'm now casting more with my arm back and fourth using the elbow as a joint. The leader stretches in a great way and even a windy day it would work I believe.

Thanks again
/Staffan

--------------
Staffan
 Post Number: 24
Paul Arden Search for posts by this member.
Fly God 2010

Group: Super Administrators
PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 15 2009,20:04 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hi guys, this is my take on the accuracy component of the exam.

Actually hitting your target is only a small part of the exam. Getting close may actually be enough because what is really being looked for is change of plane/trajectory, consistent loops both back and forward and technique. Once you have those three things nailed hitting targets is both pretty easy and becomes irrelevant.

To hit the first target I'd recommend getting down on one knee, however in the Hungarian exams the examiners didn't like that for some reason. But I still think it's "good form" and recommend it.

To hit any target there are three techniques:

1) aim for the closest part of the ring, hover the fly/fluff over the ring and then when you are comfortable with alignment smack the fly into the target. This is the one I use - and most others too I believe.

2) pick an imaginary part in the middle of the ring, and aim for that. Simon Gawesworth uses this.

3) aim for the furthest part of the ring, hover the fly and allow it to fall into place. Ian Walker uses this.

To "hover" the fly, use a well tapered leader, and a large bit of fluff, or preferably a competition fly (which isn't allowed in exams). Cast rotating through the stroke with a firm wrist and excess force, this forces the fly to unroll and hover fractionally. Watch the bottom leg of the loop and the fly to gauge distance. Concentrate on a firm straight over-the-top backcast with good stops. Make adjustments with the flyline trapped below your index finger, if you hold the line in you line hand only then the length will be constantly changing - you are not allowed to do this in the exam anyway, but neither should you want to! The longest cast backhanded takes practise.

If you miss the first shot you should never miss the second so long as your leader straightens because that first shot allows you to gauge length perfectly. If it's too long pull in so that the fly is exactly level with the centre or the ring. If it's too short add the line before making your next backcast and attempt. You will now have the perfect length.

One other thing, make sure that you have enough line off the reel to hit the furthest target before you begin. If you are really smart here you can gauge that length perfectly by reeling in so that the amount of line off the reel is exactly the amount necessary to put the fluff in the centre of the last ring. Best not to practise that too hard in case you get picked up on it for some reason and have to make the length adjustment during false casting.

Cheers, Paul

--------------
It's an exploration; bring flyrods.

Flycasting Definitions
 Post Number: 25

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 16 2009,08:38 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks Paul, when I do the off shoulder casts I tend to get a weird rotation in the leader when it stretches. The leader ends up straight, no tailing and I hit the target but this bothers me, seen this before?

Cheers, Staffan

--------------
Staffan
 Post Number: 26
Paul Arden Search for posts by this member.
Fly God 2010

Group: Super Administrators
PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 16 2009,11:16 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If it's coming off the side then it's a tracking issue. Either your backcast wasn't straight in-line with the target or the casting stroke was curved  by taking your hand across your body.

While the casting is obviously important, these exercises are really just a tool for the examiner to test your knowledge. What is being checked for here is trajectory and making the adjustments for consistent loops with different lengths of aerielised line. Pay attention to your backcast - at least one examiner will :cool:

--------------
It's an exploration; bring flyrods.

Flycasting Definitions
 Post Number: 27

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 16 2009,11:29 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks, I'll keep it in mind =) (The BC:s)

/S

--------------
Staffan
 Post Number: 28
wjc Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 17 2009,02:30 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hi all,

I got my fluorescent egg yarn ordered in all the colors to get above the minimum charge card. Reason finally prevailed over my Scotch blood and I got a new 7 wt tcx today,  so I won't be handicapped by a shorter 20 + year old soft rod.

I'm sure Marc would agree that only an idiot would turn down an extra six inches of hard rod if he could get it. :D

I'm feeling much better about the test now - especially after checking the accuracy requirements again an seeing that they are not at 20, 40 and 60 feet like I was practicing for yesterday with the old rod. The only way I could hit the farthest one with that rod one-handed was to shoot line, and I was not very accurate with it even with just a hint of breeze blowing.

Got my tires which are 22" inside diameter and did alright I think, considering the wind. When I slammed the yarn down hard though, the fluff would bounce right out of the ring on this weird grass we have down here. Maybe I should be using a softer leader too. I tied a couple up with mason hard. Hopefully, Dr. Hill will have some advice on that sort of thing after he sees me casting. On a rod that size I would normally use a 12 lb. fluoro tippet for bones . I don't think there are any rules as to tippets other than lengths.

I tried Lasse's style for the distance cast, and I think I will use that instead of my regular casting stroke, since the line is less apt to tangle up or get stepped on that way, and it probably looks more  "make it look easy" instead of "make it look lacksidasical"  like mine does.

Marc, you are right to feel jealous. I can't believe my good fortune to be able to meet Dr. Gordy. I'm hoping he will also have some time to talk about permit fishing.

I tried taking a video yesterday for the distance casting, but I looked like an ant in the distance, and my camera would only focus on me and not the fly line. It is an older camera and has a tiny little brain compared to the kind that Lassie has. Course maybe I do too, and that could be part of the problem.

On the off shoulder cast, I have been using an off vertical stroke as well. It does mean that there are two planes to deal with for accuracy instead of just one, but it is much easier on me that way. Also, wouldn't it be easier on the SLP from the tracking aspect that way?

Thanks again.

Cheers to all,
Jim
 Post Number: 29
Morsie Search for posts by this member.

Group: Moderator
PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 17 2009,03:19 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Jim I used to use Mason hard for all kinds of things, still the best rough work leader material there is, but I think you'll find its way too stiff for a good accuracy leader, especially as a butt section. That stuff's like wire. You want something that's a little closer to the same stiffness as the fly line.

Morsie

--------------
That was the river - this is the sea........
 Post Number: 30
wjc Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 17 2009,05:02 Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks Morsie,

I kind of suspected that might be part of the problem.
108 replies since Sep. 12 2009,18:38 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 3 of 11<<1234567>>
reply to topic new topic

» Quick Reply Have an Exam date
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code