[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 5 of 9<<123456789>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic
Topic: CCS and URR, User's Guide< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 41
Magnus Search for posts by this member.

Group: admin-def
PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 03 2007,03:32  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

How I'm set up now.

Attached Image
Attached Image

--------------
Casting Definitions

"X-rays will prove to be a hoax."
"Radio has no future."
"Heavier than air flying machines are impossible."
Lord Kelvin
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 42
Bill Hanneman Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 03 2007,05:11 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Magnus,
I am impressed.
Bill
 Post Number: 43
Paul Arden Search for posts by this member.
Fly God 2010

Group: Super Administrators
PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 03 2007,07:01 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Magnum-size.

--------------
It's an exploration; bring flyrods.

Flycasting Definitions
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 44
grunde Search for posts by this member.
Master of The Kettle

Group: Members_
PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 03 2007,08:41 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Nice one Magnus  :p

Guess this is becomming _the standard_  :D  :;):

Thanks Bill for the update, nice work. I just have a couple of "questions".

When you measure "Tip Power" you are basically doing a "BIG" measurement and define the min. ERN value as the "Tip Power"?

The main problem with the CCS system is currently the lack of avalible data and the quality published ERN values.

What we need is a CCS DB where byers can find "all" the rods from the big brands. And one should be able to search and sort on brands, ERN and AA values. The Suberbob DB does not fit the bill... This is not a big project so I'm wondering if anyone have any plans  :;):

The other issue is the presition in ERN measurements. Even if you do the measuremnts very carefully I think the uncertenty in ERN is at least +-0.1. And if the support is not really stiff or you are not very careful with the levering of the blank you'll typically be off by 0.5...

Cheers,
Grunde

--------------
"Essentially, all models are wrong, but some are useful."
George E. P. Box

Always question the assumptions!

Flycasting Definitions
 Post Number: 45
Bill Hanneman Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 03 2007,16:26 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Grunde,
When you measure "Tip Power" you are basically doing a "BIG" measurement and define the min. ERN value as the "Tip Power"?

Yes, "basically," except the measurement is made from the "front edge" of the support and the "handle" is not measured. Therefore, measuring from the tip causes no problem.
The main problem with the CCS system is currently the lack of avalible data and the quality published ERN values.

What we need is a CCS DB where byers can find "all" the rods from the big brands. And one should be able to search and sort on brands, ERN and AA values. The Suberbob DB does not fit the bill... This is not a big project so I'm wondering if anyone have any plans?

I agree with you. Superbob was originated for rod builders and concentrates on the properties of blanks.
I don't have the facilities, clout, or contacts to make what you want and Sextloopers need.
You must remember the CCS is a "grass roots" project and needs good input from all interested parties. In my dreams, I see the time when each manufacturer will supply "typical data" for their products. Until then, nothing will happen until some presssure is put on them from the "knowledgeable community."

This is something only something like Sexyloops can accomplish, as "members" are worldwide and the "powers that be" recognize the opinions expressed here can affect their bottom lines. Insofar as CCS data is completely objective, one must consider "why" a rod manufacturer would not want to make use of the potential publicity. Every rod has its individual properties and limitations. Potential customers would probably like to know what they are.

In my considered opinion, Magnus, is the only one who has the clout to make the type of list you desire. If Paul could get Sage to come on board, the world would certainly change—immediately. Until then, the best I can hope for is that all the other manufacturers throughout the world will supply data, or Sexyloopers will generate the data they have on their own rods.
The other issue is the presition in ERN measurements. Even if you do the measuremnts very carefully I think the uncertenty in ERN is at least +-0.1. And if the support is not really stiff or you are not very careful with the levering of the blank you'll typically be off by 0.5...

While one can never get away from "indeterminate errors," we must recognize there is a variability in all production (up to 0.3 due to "spine" location. For that reason, manufacturers can only supply "typical values." However, individuals can make more precise measurements on their own rods for the purposes of tweaking ERN/ELN or adjusting frequency.

Thanks for your comments,
Bill
 Post Number: 46
easterncaster Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 03 2007,19:24 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Magnus @ Apr. 03 2007,03:32)
How I'm set up now.

nice Magnus... very nice!
 Post Number: 47
mpukas Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 03 2007,20:14 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sweet setup Magnum! When are those rigs going into production and be available for purchase? ;-) mpp

PS - sweet looking rod too!

--------------
At what elevation do deer become elk?
Well, that depends on what side of the continental divide you're on.

What's water polo?
It's like polo, but in the water.
On sea horses?
 Post Number: 48
grunde Search for posts by this member.
Master of The Kettle

Group: Members_
PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 03 2007,20:25 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yes, good stuff ;-)

Grunde

--------------
"Essentially, all models are wrong, but some are useful."
George E. P. Box

Always question the assumptions!

Flycasting Definitions
 Post Number: 49
White Hunter Search for posts by this member.

Group: admin-def
PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 04 2007,15:20 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(mpukas @ Apr. 03 2007,20:14)
Sweet setup Magnum! When are those rigs going into production and be available for purchase? ;-) mpp

Hi

There were only three of these models made, i own the original prototype and the associated drawings for the other two....

The formulation of a fixed standard centreline distance between the holding pegs across future models was discussed between myself, grunde and magnus at the fabrication stage, simply to assist in ensuring consistency of results between individual testers..

The one shown below was the first one made, it has a fixed clamping system for possible CCF testing...

Cheers

--------------
Lee Cummings Fly Casting and Fishing
Casting Definitions
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 50
Tom Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 04 2007,16:07 Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Wow.
  Really nice work White Hunter.
  If you want to measure the natural frequency
  I don`t think it will work.
  Even though NF is a part of the CCS,I think it is
  important.
  When measuring BIG,has Bill defined the lenght
  of the flexing part of the fixed lenght?

Tom.

--------------
Tom
84 replies since Mar. 30 2007,04:01 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 5 of 9<<123456789>>
reply to topic new topic

» Quick Reply CCS and URR
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code