[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 3 of 4<<1234>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic
Topic: Line Winder?, What and how?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 21
Morsie Search for posts by this member.

Group: Moderator
PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 21 2007,11:01  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I had one of these built in a local engineering workshop - a yard of line at each rotation. To wash the backing down I take it outside and turn the hose on it. Its a great overbuilt piece of equipment - all hand winding.

Morsie

--------------
That was the river - this is the sea........
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 22
Marc LaMouche Search for posts by this member.
BBBB No 2,5 Le NP

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 21 2007,11:19 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

That's really nice Morsie. Is there an advantage of having the reel at that sharp of an angle ?

--------------
Marc Fauvet
The Limp Cobra
Barrio Fly Lines
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 23

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 21 2007,20:50 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

No advantages and no disadvantages Mark  - had never thought of it and hadn't noticed until you pointed it out.  I've had this for quite a few years and use it a good deal. I can push a new fly line  spool onto one of the arms and I also use the reel seat to hold a reel I'm servicing - it rotates left or right through 90 degrees. Its a very useful piece of gear for a saltwater fly fisherman where backing quantities can be considerable and saltwater is of course involved. Its screwed down to the bench top with two big self taper screws. If anyone's interested in getting one made I'll post more pics from different angles and take some measurements.

Morsie

--------------
 Post Number: 24
thefly Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 21 2007,21:22 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Morsie , it looks like Tibor's prototype for Pacific spool 2 option  :D
 Post Number: 25
Marc LaMouche Search for posts by this member.
BBBB No 2,5 Le NP

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 21 2007,22:45 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

hey Morsie,

Thanx for the reply. That thing is wicked !
Your great grandchildren will love it.

Marc

--------------
Marc Fauvet
The Limp Cobra
Barrio Fly Lines
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 26

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 22 2007,01:20 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Its actually based on the Struble line winder which myself and several friends had re-designed and built in Australia (the original is too weak and collapses inwards, especially with saltwater reels). I took the new Aussie version to the US with me in '05 and showed it to Ted at Tibor and a year later they came out with their line winder system.

Morsie

--------------
 Post Number: 27
maxlinespeed Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 24 2007,13:33 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

That thing kind of looks like somthing used in the hardware store for rolling up electrical conductor.  They also count the quantity and colapse so you can take the wire off for check out.  

I have a hard time packing the backing on and the end result is not enough space for the line.
Are you able to keep any tension in that thing for winding the backing tight onto the spool?

--------------
what it is
 Post Number: 28

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 26 2007,05:23 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

That's an adjustable brake in the middle. This one doesn't collapse down as its way too heavy to be transportable.

I also use an industrial leather glove and run the backing between the fingers to provide tension. I can pack it down absolutely rock hard.

Morsie

--------------
 Post Number: 29
maxlinespeed Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 26 2007,18:40 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Morsie -

The last time I took my bigger reels to the flyshop for new backing, they did a fine job setting me up, especially on the reels with 30 lb backing.  I didn't specify anything but color and retrieve, but was shocked after seeing the amount of detail given to each of the spools.  

For starters, they used a contrasting color at the spool for the first 50 yards, then onto the color I asked for.  At the time, I was impressed by seeing a different color in the vented arbor, then a transition somewhere in the solid section before the side vents begin.  Kind of majical and a nice touch.  Beyond asthetic, I assumed saltwater guys like to know when the backing is running thin and this was reason enough to change color at the arbor.  Just wondering your thoughts on that?

The flyshop finished the backing with a nice large bimini for a line change out.

Jim

--------------
what it is
 Post Number: 30

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 26 2007,21:43 Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Jim I assume the backing they put on for you was a gsp line - some guys like the idea of providing some packing against the arbor for several reasons - you can fit a huge amount of 30lb gsp line on even an average size saltwater reel and many feel its excessive and therefore take up some space with this packing (usually dacron, sometimes monofilament). Some also believe that gsp line can rotate independantly on the spool, it can but it would need to be wound on by some limp wristed pillow biter in the first place. I take the line three times around the arbor first then tie a 12 turn uni knot that actually tightens against the rotation of the spool, then set about putting the backing on with plenty of tension and lots wide criss-cross. Having been spooled several times I like the idea that too much backing might sometimes still not be enough. There are some types gsp lines, especially those made in Japan for deep jigging that are a different colour every 10 meters so you know how much line you have out.  I think its great that a shop takes so much time to get this right because it can be a source of monumental fuck ups.

Morsie

--------------
31 replies since Dec. 15 2007,16:14 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 3 of 4<<1234>>
reply to topic new topic

» Quick Reply Line Winder?
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code