Search Members Help

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 612345>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic
Topic: Invicta, I wonder...< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Paul Arden Search for posts by this member.
Fly God 2010

Group: Super Administrators
PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 17 2005,19:47  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

So what's the history behind the Invicta? And how the hell did it end up with blue Jay??  ???

Thanks,
Paul

--------------
It's an exploration; bring flyrods.

Flycasting Definitions
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 2
victor Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 17 2005,21:23 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Apparently invented by James Ogden around the end of the eighteenth century, and still a good fly today, how many can say that?. I suspect God gave him the idea of blue jay and married hen pheasant tail wing, a, to piss off every not quite competant enough fly tyer and b, to give me a moral dilemma two hundred years later  :p

Mike

--------------
it's casting Jim, but not as we know it, according to EFFA

http://michaelheritage.wordpress.com/
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 3
cracked_tooth Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 18 2005,03:37 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

LOL, nice one Mike! Leave it before you do irrevocable damage to your own thought processes.

Blue Jay, interesting. Is it because of the possibility of UV reflection? Is it because it has a staggered barring when tied as a throat hackle and therefore gives a buggy sort of leg effect? I'd plump for 'hey, that looks nice, lets use it. It works for salmon'.

I've noticed that blue jay works better than dyed blue guinea fowl, the usual substitute.

I'll do some digging.

It might be interesting to tie a greenwells hackle over the jay to see how it looks/fishes.
 Post Number: 4
Paul Boote Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 19 2005,13:48 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Quote (cracked_tooth @ Sep. 18 2005,03:37)
It might be interesting to tie a greenwells hackle over the jay to see how it looks/fishes.

Yup - James Ogden of Cheltenham created the fly, circa 1879.

Many variations body-wise - with green, bright bright yellow (as opposed to the gingery yellow of the original), silver and pearl (both of the latter at times very good for sea-trout) being just a few. I seem to remember that an Irish lough-fisher tied an Invicta awhile back with a light Fiery Brown body and a dun front hackle (no jay), and found it deadly when the Mayfly were up.

Great fly, the Invicta.
 Post Number: 5
cracked_tooth Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 19 2005,14:31 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yes indeed Paul, I'm a great lover of the silver invicta and the pearl varient, both with palmer and without. Pretty good at this time of year as a corixa immitator.

No, the reason I mention greenwells in front is that I usually tie the jay in front of a greenwells, might be interesting to see how it works with the jay slightly masked.

I think the real question was, what's so bloody marvelous about blue jay?

Interesting you mention the fiery brown. I made up a fiery brown palmer with speckled hen wing and topping tail, I suppose it's similar to the invicta too. Either way, very good when you get a sailor beetle fall. Strangely, not so productive at sedge time.
 Post Number: 6
ACW Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 20 2005,19:48 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Some years ago ,I had a E conversation with Rod Tye the Irish tier and writer ,at the time I was happy with a sub ,he coninced me to try the real thing and now I wont use substitute.I am sure that many days the natural fluro sheen adds that extra appeal to many a traditional fly ,especially the golden olive bumble .
BTW many of my aquaintances tell me not tomention this secret weapon ,any way one of my beat loved wets ,almost as good as a Kerry guinness ! :laugh:

--------------
A C W formerly Andy C Wren
 Post Number: 7
tsk Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 20 2005,20:10 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Is this the Bird?

Which feather is it?

--------------
One must admit, fulfillment of most obsessions starts with potential for the given becoming wet.
 Post Number: 8
Fly God 2010

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 20 2005,20:10 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It's interesting because the Invicta is the *only* winged wetfly I still regularly tie and I have such respect for it that I carry all the materials with me in my streamside kit. I've also done well with the bumbles of course. The strange thing is that I can imagine the jay working well on attractors but not only is the Invicta the best hatching sedge fly I know but I wouldn't fish it confidently without the blue jay. I suppose I need to take an underwater action shot. Snorkel anyone? :p

Cheers,
Paul

--------------

Flycasting Definitions
 Post Number: 9
Fly God 2010

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 20 2005,20:13 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Tsk,
the throat feathers are tied using the blue wing primary feather fibres [roadkill]. You can just about make them out here.
Paul

--------------

Flycasting Definitions
 Post Number: 10
tsk Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 20 2005,20:17 Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

And to think I used to hunt those things with a blowgun before I even started tying.  I have not seen one of those birds in years I think they like to live in places I no longer do.

I stopped hunting after one summer when my father said I could not have a successful garden, he was right in till I got rid of no less than 25 blue jays in about a week and the garden did fine but no more blue jays in the area for like 5 or 6 years, it really creped me out because I was used to the Jays call and when they were gone the sky was silent, I was just a stupid kid then.  But strange all of the sudden I have the itch again.

I assume there is a preference for hen?

--------------
One must admit, fulfillment of most obsessions starts with potential for the given becoming wet.
57 replies since Sep. 17 2005,19:47 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 612345>>
reply to topic new topic

» Quick Reply Invicta
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code