Search Members Help

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 3123>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic
Topic: Beavers?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
foreignmuck Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 15 2008,15:44  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Any of you guys who have experience with these things have an opinion on this?

My gut feeling is that it cant be a bad thing, surley salmon and beavers lived happily together before the place was turned into one big garden?

--------------
Sport fishing with live kittens?
Too disgusting to be true?
You be the judge!
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
mattklara Search for posts by this member.

Group: FP Admin Team
PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 15 2008,17:58 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm with you.  Since salmon (atlantic and pacific) and steelhead evolved together with beavers, they should be ok.  

Beaver dams are not the sort of fish barriers many think them to be.  Small fish often have no trouble swimming through them.

The issue comes when beavers cause problems for people.  Given the unfettered constraints of a natural ecosystem, beavers are probably fine.  But maybe in the highly impacted human world of 2008 they could potentially cause problems for the fish.  What those would be, I'm not sure.

See if this link works.  An exerpt from "Salmon Without Rivers".  The section on Beavers/Fur trade starts on Page 54.

http://books.google.com/books?i....PA54,M1

--------------
Sign the petition supporting wild steelhead release on Oregon's Umpqua River system.

Sign The Petition Here

"What are the odds that Matt has a steelhead tattoo located somewhere on his body?"   - joesnuffy
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3
foreignmuck Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 15 2008,20:13 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yeah maybe its in the in the title, "catastrophic for salmon fishing", not neccessarilly salmon.  

Scorched earth tactics!  Jesus what the hell!

--------------
Sport fishing with live kittens?
Too disgusting to be true?
You be the judge!
 Post Number: 4
Harps Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 15 2008,20:26 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The backwards folks here think that beaver removal (dam removal) is the best thing for fish period.

I'm constantly fighting with some of the older anglers around here about it.

Even last week I sent this to a retired angler who still feels that killing beavers is the best option. The link is from the Wasington State dept of fish and wildlife... one of the better reports I have seen supporting beaver reintroduction.

http://wdfw.wa.gov/hab/ahg/shrg/13-shrg_beaver_reintroduction.pdf

We remove beaver dams here yet they've figured out that beavers are beneficial to fish habitat down in the states... There are major long-term negative effects of a beaver removal program. One big one, beaver dams allow for the deposit of sediments on banks and also help remove contaminants from the system (including agricultural runoff).

Clive... we both know the cottonwoods would be fine if we didn't have the rivers regulated and if we hadn't cut them all down to build Lethbridge. Those knocked down trees in the valley will provide micro habitats for more cottonwoods and still modify the flood flows to deposit sediment and debris (including cottonwood seeds) in the gravel bar, increasing genetic diversity of a tree species that suckers.

Go beavers!!

The beaver ponds create some of the only overwintering habitat for trout that we have in the foothills in Alberta. Removing the dams may encourage the dispersal of fish immediately after, but the you loose the long term benefits of a higher water table, sediment removal, rearing habitats, overwintering areas, and nutrient maintanence.

So beavers create ponds fro rearing salmon, won't block migration (salmon can jump anyways), will clean the water, encourage riparian growth, and so on...

If you want to help the salmon.... stop killing them in the Ocean and in mass quntities as they migrate up river... Don't blame the beavers.

--------------
"Hippies smell better Naked."
 Post Number: 5
flyfishfairwx Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 15 2008,23:09 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I would like to be introduced to some beaver...

Ohhhh Sihit. I am married never mind...

--------------
As in the army I have never had a bad day fly fishing, some damn uncomfortable ones but never a bad one.
Everybody must believe in something and I believe in Fly Fishing and Tying and believe I will
A member of the order of the Odonata
Vice-President of Project Healing Waters & Fly Fishing CANADA
 Post Number: 6
jomeder Search for posts by this member.

Group: FP Team
PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 16 2008,00:43 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hi,

There's a really interesting book called "Three Against the Wilderness" by Eric Collier. It's the story of this guy in British Columbia from the mid 1920s onward. He and his wife, a native American, take on this area of land for trapping and restore the beaver dams there, on the advice of the wife's grandmother. The beaver dams basically form one of the foundations of the ecosystem in the area and restoring them and introducing beavers makes an amazing difference. You wouldn't think they were so important. An interesting aspect of it is that it both reduces the flooding which has been such a problem for ranchers downstream of the guy's area, and it also keeps more water running through the year, instead of the creeks drying up. I don't remember the details, but I believe he also says he sees a big improvement in the trout and squawfish stocks. Definitely worth trying to find a copy of the book.

Regards,

Jo
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 16 2008,00:48 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

More interesting stuff for you beaver fans...

http://www.billingsgazette.net/article....ers.txt

--------------
Sign the petition supporting wild steelhead release on Oregon's Umpqua River system.

Sign The Petition Here

"What are the odds that Matt has a steelhead tattoo located somewhere on his body?"   - joesnuffy
 Post Number: 8
Harps Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 16 2008,02:58 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

That is a great article Matt. There is so much we don't know about ecology, yet we keep presuming that we can manage the "wilds" by controlling one aspect or another.

Jo,
I'd like to read that book. WAterbucket.ca gives it a good review, and they're a pretty decent site about sustainable water use in irrigated agriculture (my wife did her thesis in this field).

They have been linking beavers to drought protection and improving songbird habitats recently in Alberta too.
http://www.uofaweb.ualberta.ca/polar/news.cfm?story=74201
and
http://www.innovationsreport.de/html....70.html

--------------
"Hippies smell better Naked."
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 16 2008,03:25 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

ODFW seems to be on board...

http://www.dfw.state.or.us/swwd/beaver.pdf

--------------

Sign The Petition Here

Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 16 2008,03:33 Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

And pro beaver science from Colorado...

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2006/06/060605120417.htm

Canadian frogs and toads approve...

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/01/070110180828.htm

And more...

http://www.esajournals.org/doi/abs/10.2307/1938681

--------------

Sign The Petition Here

24 replies since Dec. 15 2008,15:44 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 3123>>
reply to topic new topic

» Quick Reply Beavers?
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code