Search Members Help

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 21 of 31<<171819202122232425>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic
Topic: Fulcrum< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 201
Stoatstail50 Search for posts by this member.

Group: admin-def
PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 07 2011,09:03  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Edited.  :)

--------------
Casting Definitions

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 202
Malcolm Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 07 2011,11:00 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It's worth trying out these suggestions. Actually attempting  to cast with the upper hand or lower hand as a fixed point is incredibly difficult. After seeing the video that Magnus posted of Bill Lowe (skip the first three minutes) I attemped to cast as Bill initially suggested with a rigid upper hand. It's possible but the lower hand becomes very cramped. Worse, it is damn near impossible to make a decent cast for a number of reasons: on the backcast the upper hand has to move into a position to make the cast. Then it must move forward against the pull of the lower hand. I simply can't see how that is possible without a postive movement.

While still focusing on the bottom hand as the main provider of power but making a positive squeeze on the upper hand makes things just about perfect. It's not called two handed casting for nothing.
 Post Number: 203
Alejandro Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 07 2011,14:09 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Stoatstail50 @ Dec. 07 2011,09:03)
Edited.  :)

Many thanks  :)

Malcom, I understand you well. I have also tried to learn how to cast with an immobile hand :-)
 Post Number: 204
springer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 07 2011,18:44 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Nobody has ever suggested a cast is made with only one hand while the other remains immobile, the top hand has to move to give the required stroke length but little or nothing else.

The nub of this debate is that one hand has a gob to do in supplying most of the effort required to load the rod. The other hand (ie; top hand) both steers the rod tip and provides the necessary fulcrum and stop.

--------------
www.modernspeycasting.co.uk
 Post Number: 205
Alejandro Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 08 2011,09:35 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Springer, I believe that you do not understand that if both hands move practically in equal measure, we cannot say that one is more fulcrum than other.
 Post Number: 206

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 08 2011,13:04 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Alejandro @ Dec. 08 2011,09:35)
if both hands move practically in equal measure, we cannot say that one is more fulcrum than other.

I dont move both hands with equal measure Alejandro, you dont seem to be getting this? My bottom hand moves both further and with a lot more intent/effort.

There has been 20 pages of debate and as yet nothing definitive to clearly confirm what I think/teach is wrong. Im quite happy to read another 20 pages if anyone has anything further that is useful to the discussion?

--------------
 Post Number: 207
Paul Arden Search for posts by this member.
Fly God 2010

Group: Super Administrators
PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 08 2011,15:09 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Would it not also be the case then when applying, what we feel is predominantly bottom hand force, that it is easier to cast a higher trajectory tip path? There is a very interesting feeling in single handed casting where you get the entire body underneath the thumb and launch upwards, as opposed to doming over with the body. I would suppose that pulling in with the bottom hand facilitates that launch.

Cheers, Paul

--------------
It's an exploration; bring flyrods.

Flycasting Definitions
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 208
Aitor Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 08 2011,15:47 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(springer @ Dec. 08 2011,14:04)
I dont move both hands with equal measure Alejandro, you dont seem to be getting this? My bottom hand moves both further...

:???:

Attached Image
Attached Image

--------------
Aitor is not like us, he is Spanish, and therefore completely mad.
Cheers
, Paul

No discutas nunca con un idiota, la gente podrķa no notar la diferencia.
Immanuel Kant

Videos for casting geeks
 Post Number: 209

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 08 2011,16:44 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

What are you trying to say Aitor?

Your plotting of my top hand is not accurate, if it was you would see that my bottom hand moves about 50% further than my top hand. Hence I don't move my hands in equal measure as I have already stated.

I calculated this from my screen using straight lines, ie start and stop positions. I'm fairly sure if the actual curved path was measured it would possibly be even more.

--------------
 Post Number: 210

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 08 2011,16:48 Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Paul Arden @ Dec. 08 2011,15:09)
Would it not also be the case then when applying, what we feel is predominantly bottom hand force, that it is easier to cast a higher trajectory tip path? There is a very interesting feeling in single handed casting where you get the entire body underneath the thumb and launch upwards, as opposed to doming over with the body. I would suppose that pulling in with the bottom hand facilitates that launch.

Cheers, Paul

Yes it is Paul.

I have messed about with laying the rod further back than normal prior to the start of the forward cast and stopping really early, even earlier than my clip shows. Something like 2.30 > 11

It really nips the loops up and fires them with an upward trajectory. This is really good for distance with a shooting head providing its not too much back weighted like an AFS. It works well with heads from Loop and Guideline that have a more evenly balanced profile.

--------------
304 replies since Nov. 22 2011,14:13 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 21 of 31<<171819202122232425>>
reply to topic new topic

» Quick Reply Fulcrum
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code