Search Members Help

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 3123>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic
Topic: Switching Hands, Who?, why?, how?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
mattklara Search for posts by this member.

Group: FP Admin Team
PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 02 2007,01:12  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I learned the basics of spey casting from an old school buddy of mine and by watching Simon's Rio videos.  As a result of their thoughts on the subject, I have learned to cast with both left and right hand up.  Right hand up is my dominant (coordinated) cast, but I can bang it out pretty well from both sides.  This past weekend the wind was blowing hard on my right shoulder and I was able to switch and get some great casts (and 2 steelhead!) with a left hand up Snap T.  

I'm interested in more thoughts on ambidextrous spey casting.

Who does it?  Who doesn't?

Why?  Are there performance issues associated with either method?  Other pros and cons?

How does one go about learning to cast from both sides with both hands if they have not started out already?  

How can someone like me improve my off (left) hand up casting and take it to the next level?

Can we ever expect to get the same distance/loop from our non-dominant hand?

Matt

--------------
Sign the petition supporting wild steelhead release on Oregon's Umpqua River system.

Sign The Petition Here

"What are the odds that Matt has a steelhead tattoo located somewhere on his body?"   - joesnuffy
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 2
Rich Knoles Search for posts by this member.
flybitch 2008

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 02 2007,02:07 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Stop casting right handed. Rich

--------------
Barrio Pro Team
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 3
Morsie Search for posts by this member.

Group: Moderator
PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 02 2007,02:31 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Matt, I've taken to casting left handed whenever the fishing opportunity presents itself, caught my first bones with left handed casts a few weeks ago, a real milestone for me because I'm so right hand dominant. How do we get better at it - Practise - its a great casting exercise!!!!

Morsie

--------------
That was the river - this is the sea........
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 02 2007,05:42 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

What about with the DH Dildo?  

Nice work with the lefty bones Morsie!  Did you cast left and then switch hands to strip the fly or do it all lefty?

I'm pretty good at left hand activities.  I can hit a baseball and shoot a hockey puck pretty well both ways.  Same with spey.

Even when I cast left I fish the swing out with the rod in my right hand.  I wan't all the coordination I can get when the grab comes.

I need to really put more time in and get really comfortable with left hand up.  Right now I fish right unless wind calls for the left.  I need to start fishing left unless the wind calls for right.

--------------
Sign the petition supporting wild steelhead release on Oregon's Umpqua River system.

Sign The Petition Here

"What are the odds that Matt has a steelhead tattoo located somewhere on his body?"   - joesnuffy
 Post Number: 5
Morsie Search for posts by this member.

Group: Moderator
PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 02 2007,05:57 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Matt I haven't tried the DHD as a lefty but will certainly give it a go.

On the bones I did it all left handed, cast, strip, and strike. But winding left handed is another thing altogether.

Morsie

--------------
That was the river - this is the sea........
 Post Number: 6
Unregistered

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 02 2007,09:36 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Matt, I'm o spey casting expert and hopefully Gordon or Way will give you some advice, but my experience is that it feels wierd to begin with, but more often than not a lot of people end up casting better off their non domininat hand when spey casting or using a DH.

Generally this is due to the fact that when castign off your dominant side (right) your top hand has a tendancy to do all the work and you do nothing with your left. When you cast left hand up your right is on the bottom and still wants to work hard and therefore you end up distributing the load more evenly and cast a lot better.

I'm right handed but I can cast 48yds off my left hand single spey and only 44 off my right. Mainly due to my bottom hand working more off my left.

As far as spey casting is concerned, they various casts allow you to not have to learn to cast off your left, but I would strongly reccomend learning.

I aim to single spey whenever I can.

As the Nike guys say, just do it!

Post Number: 7
Jeroen Search for posts by this member.
BBBB No5

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 02 2007,12:53 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I can vouch for Corin's words. He tought me the speycasting basics earlier this year (first casting lessons in thirty years of fly fishing, how stupid can you be) One of the casts he patiently tried to get into my skull was the lefthanded double spey. I went on practicing speycasting at home and I found that casting lefthanded will get me the same distance (and with ease) as righthanded casting.

Cheers,
Jeroen
 Post Number: 8
totsy Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 02 2007,19:48 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I cant do it with anything other than a floating line with me not being to deep yet.

Why? Never found the wind a problem, the banks usually form a good barrier were i fish but the same high banks also makes it advantagous to be able to cast left hand up on a true right bank and single instead of double spey, theres more room to form the D.

Ta, Lee.

--------------
Orvis Endorsed

www.doublehaul.co.uk/
 Post Number: 9
Ben_D Search for posts by this member.

Group: SL Admin
PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 02 2007,21:45 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hi Lee,

Try fishing some of the exposed sections of the big Scottish rivers, RH up on left bank with a spring downstream wind on the Tummel; generally hurts, quite a lot and several times, I've learnt the the hard way :D  

I still find it difficult but getting there, best way is to try to cast left handed whenever possible and also try to carry out daily tasks such as answering the phone, writing, using a mouse etc with your left hand.  I believe this is what Ally Gowans did many years ago and he does it rather well now!  

Can manage a DH rod LH up and can cast a single hander left handed but still cannot coordinate casting left handed and hauling with my right, that's the next challenge.  
The other way would be wear an scarf when fishing and get a Ryan hat  :D

Ben

--------------
Barrio Flylines
Casting Definitions
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 03 2007,01:19 Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Totsy, you are lucky if you have no wind to deal with.

Here's the weather report for one of my favorite areas.  Check the wind predictions.  I better have my left and right hand game on this weekend.

Tonight...Partly cloudy. Breezy. Lows 66 to 71. West wind 15 to 25 mph.

Friday...Partly cloudy. Windy. Not as warm. Highs 82 to 89. West wind 10 to 20 mph increasing to northwest 25 to 35 mph in the afternoon.

Friday Night...Partly cloudy. Windy...cooler. Lows 54 to 59. Northwest wind 20 to 30 mph decreasing to 10 to 20 mph overnight.

Saturday...Partly cloudy. Highs 80 to 89. Northwest wind 10 to 20 mph.

Saturday Night...Mostly clear. Lows 58 to 63. Northwest wind 10 to 20 mph.

--------------

Sign The Petition Here

27 replies since Aug. 02 2007,01:12 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 3123>>
reply to topic new topic

» Quick Reply Switching Hands
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code