Search Members Help

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic
Topic: Tailing Loop POD, Open Discussion< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
mattklara Search for posts by this member.

Group: FP Admin Team
PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 16 2008,20:29  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'd love to hear some comments here on the board about this one...

http://www.sexyloops.com/picofday/matts/matt01162008.shtml

--------------
Sign the petition supporting wild steelhead release on Oregon's Umpqua River system.

Sign The Petition Here

"What are the odds that Matt has a steelhead tattoo located somewhere on his body?"   - joesnuffy
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 2
Ivanovic Search for posts by this member.

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 16 2008,20:42 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hello Matt!

--------------
My Webpage

EFFA- home of fly casting wizards and true world domination!

www.sexy-pool.com , mausoleum of ex-EFFA instructors!

RAP buster!
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 16 2008,20:43 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hello Matt, nice question!

I can easily see several "little" problems, but will note only one, to leave an oportunity for others to discuss ...

Too much line "kissing" beside the caster, anchoring is much longer than necessary and "rough", not smooth ... Also, D-loop not anchored beside, but slightly backwards ... This can cause several problems in front loop shape ...

Greetings,

Alex.
www.smooth-loop.com

--------------
My Webpage

RAP buster!
 Post Number: 4
mattklara Search for posts by this member.

Group: FP Admin Team
PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 16 2008,20:47 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks, Alex.  Glad you got the discussion going.

I guess I should mention that it's a Skagit setup, 15' type 6 tip, and 4" long weighted marabou fly, which might explain the excessive spray.  Allowing the anchor to stick and sink is part of the Skagit style, as far as I can tell.  "Flop and Stop" in Way's lingo.

Another explanation may be that I messed up the cast.  :)

As this was my first time doing video, I'm really interested in things to look for that allow for a self critique in the future.

Also, how do you feel about the presentation ofthe frame by frame as a learning/teaching tool?

MK

--------------
Sign the petition supporting wild steelhead release on Oregon's Umpqua River system.

Sign The Petition Here

"What are the odds that Matt has a steelhead tattoo located somewhere on his body?"   - joesnuffy
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 5
Rich Knoles Search for posts by this member.
flybitch 2008

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 16 2008,20:57 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Take up golf. Sell your shit on ebay. Rich

--------------
Barrio Pro Team
 Post Number: 6
andy_with_a_rod Search for posts by this member.
BBBB Nr 4!

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 16 2008,21:01 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Rich Knoles @ Jan. 16 2008,20:57)
Take up golf. Sell your shit on ebay. Rich

you're a cruel barstool rich! :D  :D

im the worst double handed caster in the world, so the only thing i can see wrong is the fAct that you're doing something i cant !! :D

ta
ab

--------------
"God's always with me;
standing beside me with his big black dick."

Paul Arden.
 Post Number: 7
Jay Clark Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 16 2008,21:21 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hi Matt,

Adding to Alex's explanation and you already mentioned it too is the very abrupt acceleration at the beginning of the stroke. The line stick compounds the acceleration issue.

Personally I wouldn't try to make the anchor longer with a Skagit set-up. With a heavy fly and sinking tip you are going to achieve more than enough anchor with just the fly and a small amount of tip in the water. By slowing down the acceleration at the beginning of the stroke you may find that you need much less achor to make a clean cast. As the acceleration becomes more aggressive then you naturally need more anchor to compensate. The two can work hand in hand.
 Post Number: 8
easterncaster Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 17 2008,03:43 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

what rich was trying to say:

get the fck out of the water, thats where the fish are.
back on shore with an outbound overhead, call distant relatives.

craig

ps   thanx for the cool shots.
 Post Number: 9
bubba Search for posts by this member.

Group: Moderator
PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 17 2008,05:44 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hey Matt

Where did you find the nice shirtsleeve weather?  It's been fricking nasty up here.

I'd agree with every work Jay posted - great advice.  The anchor shouldn't be any "longer" with a skagit set-up - actually shorter than what you'd have with a long belly like an XLT with a 17-18 foot leader.

You have defined a casting trajectory on your line diagram that is parallel to the water, but the trajectory of your cast is aimed upwards.  I don't know if you've had problems with a tailing loop casting a line as short as a Skagit, but it looks a little line a low-to-high forward cast trajectory more than anything else. Your casting arc is pretty much maybe 2 o'clock to 10:30 o'clock or so (when you stop the rod, not where it drifts down to at the end of the stroke), and the forward cast does not start with any evidence of a drift of the rod tip upwards.  

You might try drifting back and up at the end of your backcast, and flattening out your trajectory a tad.
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 17 2008,07:51 Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yes, Matt, I like this ste-by-step still photos, very good for teaching!

--------------
My Webpage

RAP buster!
16 replies since Jan. 16 2008,20:29 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic

» Quick Reply Tailing Loop POD
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code