Search Members Help

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic
Topic: Sandy River Spey Clave Aftermath, Another Great One< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
mattklara Search for posts by this member.

Group: FP Admin Team
PostIcon Posted on: May 19 2008,18:53  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Well, despite a raging torrent of a river swolen with snowmelt and melt-your-brain heat on Saturday, it was a great event.

Very cool to see/meet a few of the Sexyloopers there.

Cheers Rob, & Chase for making the event.

Also, many thanks to Simon, and Way, both regular contributors here, for putting on great demos.

Not sure what the best part was.  

Maybe watching Chase launch casts with his single hander as far or farther than most folks were tossing the DH rigs.

Maybe seeing the looks in the eyes of all the wide eyed beginning spey casters, recently infeected with the sickness (you guuys know who you are).

Maybe watching Simon, Way, and Ian cast those long belly lines.  Damn they make it look TOO EASY.  Thanks for the inspiration fellas.

MK

--------------
Sign the petition supporting wild steelhead release on Oregon's Umpqua River system.

Sign The Petition Here

"What are the odds that Matt has a steelhead tattoo located somewhere on his body?"   - joesnuffy
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 2
Jay Clark Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: May 20 2008,15:01 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I really enjoy watching Ian cast too and a great guy.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: May 21 2008,02:47 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Rob, Chase, Mimi, Peter, Bubba, Simon...

Any thoughts on last weekend's events?

--------------
Sign the petition supporting wild steelhead release on Oregon's Umpqua River system.

Sign The Petition Here

"What are the odds that Matt has a steelhead tattoo located somewhere on his body?"   - joesnuffy
 Post Number: 4
rObot Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 21 2008,05:00 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Well, I think the highlight of the the Clave for me was meeting more Loopers. It seems like no matter where we go we have a sort of built in group of crazy ass friends who share the bond of fishing and casting. Not a jerk in the bunch!

I was also impressed by the ability of Simon and Way to instruct such a large group of people in a concise manner while casting at the same time. It was almost as if one person was casting while the other was talking! I mean I know CI's are supposed to be able to do this but these guys are truly exceptional.

Oh yeah, and Ian Gordon's impression of a Pom gentleman prepping for a fishing trip was everloving hilarious.

And thanks to Peter for helping me with that Snap C or T or whatever. I was downtown on Sunday tossing fishable casts with the Skagit head without personal injury!

Chase's tips have already given me a good 10 more feet with the #6 Wt too, not even kidding.

And so everybody knows it, while Matt likes to sing the praises of working man's fly rods I know for a fact that he has his heart set on a Spey rod that costs more than my last Subaru was worth when it was traded in for bourbon! :laugh:

Yep, good times. My single handed rods still ain't going anywhere though!

Cheers,
Rob
 Post Number: 5
rObot Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 21 2008,05:20 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Before I forget....

On my way down the South Park Blocks after the Clave I noticed a bunch of Police roadblocks around there. Putting two and two together I was like "hey motorcade route" sure enough I hear cheering starting down the hill and steadily getting closer.

You guessed it, Obama's motorcade. Wild. Considering my talibeard, sweat stained Trout Cottage shirt, and rocket launcher sized aluminum rod tube I should send the Secret Service a thank you note for not beating and/or shooting my ass.

I can't believe he didn't stop for my autograph, maybe I should send him a pair of socks!  :D

-Rob
 Post Number: 6
maxlinespeed Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 21 2008,06:53 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hello guys -

This looks like a really great time - are they taking reservations for next year yet?  I'm curious as to how structured this event is - are there scheduled demo's/ classes or do you hang out and wait for Way and Simon to emerge from their tents?   :D

Would like to see more pics...  :)

--------------
what it is
 Post Number: 7
Mimi Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 21 2008,19:50 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(mattklara @ May 21 2008,02:47)
Rob, Chase, Mimi, Peter, Bubba, Simon...

Any thoughts on last weekend's events?

Hi -

What a well organized, welcoming and inspiring event.  From my newbie perspective I felt like it was a great education on the spey universe.  The expert casters made the day for me - plus I enjoyed Simon's talk on historic views.  The food, camaraderie, culture and setting were tops.  Thank you to all who made it a memorable day.

Mimi  :D
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: May 21 2008,22:24 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(maxlinespeed @ May 21 2008,06:53)
Hello guys -

This looks like a really great time - are they taking reservations for next year yet?  I'm curious as to how structured this event is - are there scheduled demo's/ classes or do you hang out and wait for Way and Simon to emerge from their tents?   :D

Would like to see more pics...  :)

They might be.  I know they are already planning.

Stay tuned to this website...

http://www.flyfishusa.com/spey-clave.htm

All the demos are scheduled in advance over the 2 day Clave, so you know when it will happen.  Usually, the guys doing the demos spend the rest of the time doing impromptu lessons for whoever is interested, or just hangin out.

I'll try to find a few more pics that aren't too horrible.

MK

--------------

Sign The Petition Here

Post Number: 9
Marc LaMouche Search for posts by this member.
BBBB No 2,5 Le NP

PostIcon Posted on: May 21 2008,22:30 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Mimi @ May 21 2008,20:50)
 The food...

man, if you're after really good food, you should go to Scotland some day... :p   :laugh:

--------------
Marc Fauvet
The Limp Cobra
Barrio Fly Lines
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: May 21 2008,22:53 Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hard to beat the Pancakes made for breakfast by the Santiam Spey Casters.

They were asking for donations of "$1 MAXIMUM".

Or the Chili Dogs for lunch.

Or the Roasted Chicken dinner from sponsor Loomis, served up by Steve Rajeff.

Awesome.

Though I'd visit Scotland and eat some haggis is it would make me cast like Ian Gordon.   :p

--------------

Sign The Petition Here

14 replies since May 19 2008,18:53 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic

» Quick Reply Sandy River Spey Clave Aftermath
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code