Search Members Help

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic
Topic: Didymo and Fiordland< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Paul Arden Search for posts by this member.
Fly God 2010

Group: Super Administrators
PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 21 2006,03:26  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Guy just sent me this link, I didn't realise that didymo was in Eglington and Upak and therefore the lake as a whole - mind you not surprising. Apparently the Waiau has it covering the bottom now. Not good news  :(

Cheers, Paul

--------------
It's an exploration; bring flyrods.

Flycasting Definitions
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 2
scotch mist Search for posts by this member.
Minister of Libations

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 21 2006,03:33 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

aarragggh.!!!!! :glare:  :glare:  :(

--------------
EARTH FIRST, we,ll fish another planet later.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 3
NZneil Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 22 2006,09:04 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The protection in place is quite extensive, but worthwhile to try and protect a jewel of a fishery.

You are required to hold a full season licence,a back country licence and a Fiordland fisheries licence, the later two are free but must be applied for 5 days in advance, oh you also need a clean gear certificateand to be carrying cleaning gear when on the lakes.

Some more streams have been closed altogether. In addition to those you were not allowed to fish for other reasons.

So Ive heard the  rules are being strictly enforced in an effort to stop it spreading. Doc rangers are checking all over the park.

--------------
Nothing more boring than an expert that never fails..  - Saltflyer
 Post Number: 4
Fly God 2010

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 22 2006,12:33 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I think the rules are a good thing, Neil. It's news to me that Didymo is in Upak and Eglinton. Will they allow you to fish Clinton and Worsley say, on the same trip? Have they put a cleaning station in at the Worsley? I've often fished the flats there and made my way up that first run.

Cheers,
Paul

--------------

Flycasting Definitions
 Post Number: 5
Lionel Gavin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 22 2006,17:03 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

In the information that is received when getting back country licence, it is asked that only one river is fushed

--------------
The liver is evil........ it must be punished
 Post Number: 6
JohnC Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 22 2006,18:45 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Lionel,

Who do aplly to to obtain the backcountry and Fiordland licences please?

Thanks
John
 Post Number: 7
Harps Search for posts by this member.

Group: FP Admin Team
PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 22 2006,20:46 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Studies this past year in Alberta have revealed the presence of Didymo in many of our streams. It is prefering the same habitat as our trout do, and is worse in low clear STABLE conditions. Tailwaters appear to be perfect for the algae (can cover up to 90% of the substrate). With changes in climate (low water), Didymo problems will only increase. Floods, turbidity, unstable flows are things not desired by water managers, but it is these things that will negatively impact the algae. The only way to stop it is intensive gear cleaning programs... keep Didymo from your waters!

Paul, some of the rivers (one of your fav's) are at serious risk here, especially some of the tailwater fisheries. The Bow and Oldman have it bad.

--------------
"Hippies smell better Naked."
 Post Number: 8
NZneil Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 22 2006,23:31 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

While it is recommended that only one river per visit is fished, you are also expected to carry cleaning gear in the boat.
I think this is because it is present in the lake.
I'll be cleaning at each river mouth, exit from the boat, although there are only so many precautuions you can take.

Im not sure exactly what if any restrications are in place for hunters.  given the nature of the country, they move mostly up the same valleys as we do.

--------------
Nothing more boring than an expert that never fails..  - Saltflyer
 Post Number: 9
Fly God 2010

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 23 2006,00:56 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hi Harps,
good to see you here again! Terrible that you have didymo there too. I have never seen anything like the didymo problem in NZ. Rivers have a 4inch mat of the stuff completely carpeting the river bank to bank, large globs of the stuff constantly being rolled downstream, smaller pieces in the water column and corners and back eddies full of the white toilet paper stuff. The rate at which it is spreading is frightening. There is no question it has the potential to completely destroy the NZ trout fishing experience. And to be perfectly honest I don't see how it can be stopped  :(  :(  :(
Cheers,
Paul

--------------

Flycasting Definitions
 Post Number: 10
Harps Search for posts by this member.

Group: FP Admin Team
PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 23 2006,17:33 Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hey Paul,
I've been lurking around. I like your Terrano, takes a real "secure" man to drive something that... ah... flamboyant :D .

I would hate to see Didymo as bad as you describe it, but there seems to be no stopping it now. I have not heard of any successful treatments here, in fact the first survey was just complete this past year.

That mud snail link that umm, Steve posted on the other topic is similar to these recommendations. Cleaning, cleaning, cleaning.

http://www.protectyourwaters.net/prevention/prevention_generic.php

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure when it comes to invasive species.

I just got a call to head out to a mess on the Crowsnest, I'll lurk some more later.

Chars,

Harps

--------------
"Hippies smell better Naked."
18 replies since Nov. 21 2006,03:26 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic

» Quick Reply Didymo and Fiordland
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code