Search Members Help

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic
Topic: streamers for night< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Paul Arden Search for posts by this member.
Fly God 2010

Group: Super Administrators
PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 01 2007,00:01  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

http://members.sexyloops.com/members/flyblog/070731.shtml

new stuff in flyblog. More again tomorrow :p

--------------
It's an exploration; bring flyrods.

Flycasting Definitions
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 2
Chris Dore Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 01 2007,01:02 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Nice streamer. I often find that if things are slow at night, then a rib of lumo flashabou will often tempt a fish or two. This particularly so if there is a little colour in the water.

Lumo beads work nicely on rainbows, but I find browns are a little shy of these. Hence, a sparse rib of lumo flashabou is just enough to catch their eye.

Chris

--------------
SCOTT Pro Staff
www.CHRISDORE.com
 Post Number: 3
Fly God 2010

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 01 2007,02:44 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I played with Lumo a fair bit when I was based around Taupo, but I've never been completely sold on it. I'll play with it some more however - I know Ronan swears by the stuff.
Had a nice sequence on the Tandem last night, 7 or 8 fish in about 40mins. All around 2-3lbs. There's 6 and 7lb fish here however. I think I pinged one of those.

I've also played with fluorescence in the evening light, used to pick up rainbows on a Flou Green Baby Doll. But it's hard to beat plain black when the sun goes down. I only wish my boots didn't make so much noise... I may try fishing in my socks tonight :p

Cheers, Paul

--------------

Flycasting Definitions
 Post Number: 4
flyfisher101 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 01 2007,03:08 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Nice, Very Nice.
Up to now my night-time go to streamer is constructed with a silver body, and black garbage bag plastic for  wings.
Will have to add the latest to my "Paul Arden" fly box.
Dick

--------------
Lightly on the dimpling eddy fling,
the hypocritic fly's unruffled wing.
Thomas Scott
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 5
Fly God 2010

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 01 2007,23:33 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

http://members.sexyloops.com/members/flyblog/070801.shtml

some more plus the Arden Hopper FU :p

--------------

Flycasting Definitions
 Post Number: 6
Glenda Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 04 2007,04:35 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

do we need to obtain a special logon to gain access to the blog?   :???:
 Post Number: 7
Daniel Search for posts by this member.

Group: FP Admin Team
PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 04 2007,07:47 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

That could be the best muddler i've ever seen :D

Paul, do you think fishing at night consistently produces bigger fish? Haven't really tried it. May give it a go.

Daniel
 Post Number: 8
Fly God 2010

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 05 2007,18:55 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hey Glenda,you are a member, only the passwords changed. Drop me an email - I don't have your new address on this machine - and I'll forward the new ones over.

Daniel, yes I catch most of my big fish at night. There are a few Vortices on the subject. Best times seem to be the first hour after dark(following a short delay),in the very early hours and again around 1hr before dawn. I rarely fish all the way through but I'll often try to hit that second feeding period since that's when I've hooked my biggest trout.

Cheers,Paul

--------------

Flycasting Definitions
 Post Number: 9
Chris Dore Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 05 2007,23:43 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Paul Arden @ Aug. 05 2007,18:55)
Best times seem to be the first hour after dark(following a short delay),in the very early hours and again around 1hr before dawn.

Invertibrete drift is at its most intense around an hour after dark and again an hour before dawn. Its thought to be a predator avoidance tactic.

Big fish come out from shelter under the cover of darkness. Again, its a predator avoidance thing. Ever wondered why on dusk all the wee fish come out to play, and then are slowly displaced in the shallows by the big boys as darkness sets in?

Big fish require cover, and often there isnt a lot in the open accessible shallows. Darkness falls and they can now move into the open to hunt in relative safety.

Chris

--------------
SCOTT Pro Staff
www.CHRISDORE.com
 Post Number: 10
Fly God 2010

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 06 2007,01:50 Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Chris,
I don't think you can argue that big fish come out after dark to avoid being eaten whereas small fish don't care or know any better. I think water temperature has a lot to do with night feeding - or rather lack of daytime feeding, and in the case of large fish, the food source available is more suitable - ie bigger and I would assume easier to capture.

Incidentally does anyone know where stillwater trour sleep? Do they rest on the bottom in shallower water or do they suspend themselves? I would assume they rest on the bottom but that's just a guess.

Cheers, Paul

--------------

Flycasting Definitions
18 replies since Aug. 01 2007,00:01 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic

» Quick Reply streamers for night
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code