Search Members Help

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 3123>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic
Topic: Drying your meat, Biltong, jerky, dried fish or anything< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Jono Shales Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 12 2012,04:55  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Love this stuff, was brought up in South Africa eating this since a day dot.

Anyone else like the stuff or perhaps dry or cure your own meats?

Coriander, pepper, rock salt, vinegar and some chilli if you like it spicy. This is topside which I am using, cut into fillets, then into strips. The thicker it is, the longer it takes to dry.

First cover the meat in vinegar, then rub the crushed up spice mix into the meat. Once all the meat is covered, cover it and leave it to settle in the fridge. The longer you leave it, the saltier it will be. Mine stays in for around 4 hours.

You can do the same with fish too. This was golden trevally, but mackerel is some of the best. The meat should be relatively oily.

Once it's been in the fridge for a number of hours, pour out any juice that may have gathered in the container, then hang it all out. I use paper-clips as hooks and leave a fan blowing across the meat constantly.

3-4 days later and we're in business ...

Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 2
Harps Search for posts by this member.

Group: FP Admin Team
PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 12 2012,05:23 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Brilliant!
Where do you hang it to keep it bug free?

--------------
"Hippies smell better Naked."
 Post Number: 3
flyfishfairwx Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 12 2012,05:36 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

This is the smoker I use and some venison sausage from last winter

one heck of a hike and some Hek and Jerky from the smoker..

Recipe for the jerky and Sausage are family secrets...

Check out this web site for lots of smoked meat stuff

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/

--------------
As in the army I have never had a bad day fly fishing, some damn uncomfortable ones but never a bad one.
Everybody must believe in something and I believe in Fly Fishing and Tying and believe I will
A member of the order of the Odonata
Vice-President of Project Healing Waters & Fly Fishing CANADA
 Post Number: 4
savage Search for posts by this member.
Flygod 2011

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 12 2012,06:18 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Jono dude, wheres the fat?  :)

I just absolutely have to have a nice strip of fat on the beef.

Cheers
Karel

--------------
We be of one blood you and I.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 5
Charlie Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 12 2012,08:57 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Jono ! Excellent !
The whole time we live in SA I always had biltong drying in the garage - springbok, rooibok, gemsbok and many more. Fantastic stuff. Personally I like mine a bit wet rather than dry dry dry  :p

--------------
70 % of the world is covered in water - GO FISH!

That's what fish are there for!
 Post Number: 6
Gilgamesh Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 13 2012,15:02 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You need Gobabis beef with yellow fat to do it propperly........and you all seem to be forgetting the brown sugar........you need the suger! :D

:cool:

--------------
There is magic in it. Let the most absent-minded of men be plunged in his deepest reveries - stand that man on his legs, set his feet a-going, and he will infallibly lead you to water, if water there be in all that region.
 Post Number: 7
Flygod 2011

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 13 2012,18:43 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I always grab a few bags of Freddy Hirches biltong spice when I'm down Pretoria side.

Cheers
Karel

--------------
 Post Number: 8
foreignmuck Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 15 2012,02:39 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(savage @ Mar. 12 2012,06:18)
Jono dude, wheres the fat?  :)

Yup!  Wet and fatty.  The only fish I've tried was supposedly barbel.  Was actually not bad and I ate a ton of it.  I keep threatening to make one of those boxes with a fan and lightbulb in it and I think you've just tipped me over the edge here Jono.  Nice topic.  Being in the UK and far away from a dry highveld winter any tips on making the stuff indoors and not becoming single in the process gents?

--------------
Sport fishing with live kittens?
Too disgusting to be true?
You be the judge!
 Post Number: 9
Paul Arden Search for posts by this member.
Fly God 2010

Group: Super Administrators
PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 15 2012,02:55 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've never dried my meat. :cool:

--------------
It's an exploration; bring flyrods.

Flycasting Definitions
 Post Number: 10
Flygod 2011

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 15 2012,07:55 Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

[QUOTE]

Richard, I've dried it in my flat, summer or winter, doesn't matter. Only nuissance is arranging summat so the meat can initially drip off.
If properly seasoned and treated, all you really need is a space where the air does not stagnate. Does not need to be a draft, but the air should be on the move a little. Although a damp room prolly is not on.

I dunno, but I think you can taste a difference when the meat has dried naturally or has been force dried.

Paul, dang, would never have guessed that you have actually never dried meat before !?!? :upside:

Cheers
Karel

--------------
29 replies since Mar. 12 2012,04:55 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 3123>>
reply to topic new topic

» Quick Reply Drying your meat
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code