Search Members Help

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 41234>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic
Topic: Best spot to whack a trout< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
somethingreallyoriginal Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 03 2007,19:24  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I know this is probably a ridiculous question but where do you hit the Trout when you want to dispatch it quickly, just curious. :D

Only sometimes I clobber a Trout and the bugger is still twitching 5 or 10 minutes later.

But recent experiments have revealed that if I bosh im on the napper slightly forward of the eye position, or just above it, to the front left quadrant, (no hauling involved :p  in that area. One sharp rap seems to do the trick.

Is there a minimum weight priest I should use for 2 pounders and above.

--------------
I always pass on good advice. It is the only thing to do with it. It is never of any use to oneself.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Gilly Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 03 2007,19:44 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

on the top of the head behind the eyes - one really good whack, no messing about, heavy weighted priest - no more wiggles
Gilly

--------------
www.gillybate.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3
mattklara Search for posts by this member.

Group: FP Admin Team
PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 03 2007,19:46 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

At the junction between head and body, where the scales stop and the smooth skin on the head starts.  

Accelerate to a stop.  Rocks with sharp corners work well.

Twitching is not always indicitave of life.  Maybe a biologist can add more.  Complex stuff, the nervous system.  

I assume that dead = no gasping (gill action), no flopping, and "dead eyes".

--------------
Sign the petition supporting wild steelhead release on Oregon's Umpqua River system.

Sign The Petition Here

"What are the odds that Matt has a steelhead tattoo located somewhere on his body?"   - joesnuffy
 Post Number: 4
Paul Arden Search for posts by this member.
Fly God 2010

Group: Super Administrators
PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 03 2007,19:50 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

What you're actually doing is knocking them unconscious while they die of asphyxiation. If you don't knock them hard enough they wake up before they're dead.

--------------
It's an exploration; bring flyrods.

Flycasting Definitions
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 03 2007,19:55 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hmm.  I assumed I was doing some serious damage to the nervous system as well.  More than a KO.

I usually bleed a fish out by severing the major artery in the gills after giving them the bonk.

They don't ever even move after I do it.  Seems very humaine.

OK, next topic.

--------------
Sign the petition supporting wild steelhead release on Oregon's Umpqua River system.

Sign The Petition Here

"What are the odds that Matt has a steelhead tattoo located somewhere on his body?"   - joesnuffy
 Post Number: 6
somethingreallyoriginal Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 03 2007,20:51 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks all  :)

--------------
I always pass on good advice. It is the only thing to do with it. It is never of any use to oneself.
 Post Number: 7
rrw35 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 03 2007,23:37 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(mattklara @ Aug. 03 2007,19:46)
Rocks with sharp corners work well.

Bloody hell, i'd like to think if you're going to kill the fish quickly, you'll have the tool for the job, instead of looking for a suitable rock. :glare:
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 03 2007,23:41 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Every rock is a suitable rock.

--------------

Sign The Petition Here

Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 04 2007,00:31 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hey,

Chatting with Ben_D privately and something has come up that I should share.

Any time you kill a fish, hatchery or wild, it should be done quickly and humanely.

Also, I don't kill wild trout or steelhead.  

I kill hatchery steelhead for 3 reasons.  

1.  They are genetic pollution.  Lots of science to support the fact that hatchery steelhead are bad for wild steelhead runs.
2.  They taste pretty good, and I know they are not from a fish farm.
3.  My friends like it when I give them extra steelhead meat.

--------------

Sign The Petition Here

Post Number: 10
rrw35 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 04 2007,08:54 Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(mattklara @ Aug. 04 2007,00:31)
Chatting with Ben_D privately and something has come up that I should share.

Any time you kill a fish, hatchery or wild, it should be done quickly and humanely.

Seriously?  Ben you are a genius mate. :D  :D
30 replies since Aug. 03 2007,19:24 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 41234>>
reply to topic new topic

» Quick Reply Best spot to whack a trout
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code