Search Members Help

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 512345>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic
Topic: WF or DT?, Which can you cast farther?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
randyflycaster Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 26 2013,18:48  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If I remember correctly, I heard Steve Rajeff say that many good casters can cast farther with a DT line than with a WF.

I've assumed this is because the first 60 feet or so of a DT lines weighs less than the first 60 feet of a WF line, and therefore a caster can carry more DF line on his/her false casts.

Is my assumption correct?

And which line can you cast farther: a WF or DT?

Thanks,

Randy

--------------
www.flyandspincasting.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
James9118 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 26 2013,19:00 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Surely the first 60ft of a DT would weigh more than the WF.
 Post Number: 3
Lasse Karlsson Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 26 2013,19:25 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hi Randy

At 30 feet both the WF and the DT should weigh the same according to AFFTA standard. At 60 feet the DT will usually weigh more than the WF, and at full length the DT is alot heavier. Thing is, a good caster can carry almost all, if not all, of most DT lines and cast them as a shootinghead, a WF really casts best with only the right amount of overhang. So the DT has the definite advantage from the beginning, longer and heavier mass cast.

Cheers
Lasse

--------------
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Gone.....
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 27 2013,00:57 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks guys. Now I'm curious: If the first 60 feet of the DT weighs more, I would think that it would slow the fly rod down, and therefore limit a caster's distance.

Randy

--------------
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 27 2013,10:02 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hi Randy

The flycast doesn't work that way  :)

http://vimeo.com/35066178

Cheers
Lasse

--------------

Gone.....
 Post Number: 6
VGB Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 27 2013,13:52 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

There is some good information here:

http://www.rodbuildingforum.com/index.p....+weight

regards

Vince
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 27 2013,14:56 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks again. I can't say I understand the rod stress curves, but it seems to me, as a caster carries more and more overhang, at some point the weight of the line will start to slow the rod down. In my mind, therefore, to make the longest possible cast, a caster must carry the ideal amount of overhang, not too much or too little.

Randy

--------------
 Post Number: 8
VGB Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 27 2013,16:40 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hi Randy

The link was only meant to be informative of line weights, I would not get too wrapped around the axle for stress curves.  I'll leave discussions on overhand to Lasse, I cannot cast that far  :blush:

regards

Vince
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 27 2013,17:24 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hi Randy

It's not that the rod slows down, it is simply that with overhang on a WF/Shootinghead/DT(last one really means alot of backing outside the tiptop, rarely seen) the loop starts to fall apart, it's not stable if it has to start far into the runningline and then move over to thicker flyline. A stable loop is better than an unstable one, and with a WF versus a DT the DT starts out not only longer but also more stable.

Example WF has 40 feet head, good amount of overhang is 10 feet to allow for the haul. So 50 feet arialized for a distance cast
DT is 90 feet and a good caster puts 75 feet outside the tip. DT leads by 25 feet before the shot...

Cheers
Lasse

Ps. Vince, it goes for spey too :p

--------------

Gone.....
 Post Number: 10
Silver Creek Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 27 2013,20:07 Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Aren't the long belly competition WF lines tailored to eliminate overhang? If these WF lines are not more efficient that DT line, why was one used for this test instead of a DT line?

http://www.sexyloops.com/articles/8rod.shtml

http://www.rioproducts.com/fly-lin....rnament

Are the lines in the article below a DTs, WFs or a mix of the two.

http://www.sexyloops.co.uk/iB_html....9_9.pdf

--------------
Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
49 replies since Jan. 26 2013,18:48 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 512345>>
reply to topic new topic

» Quick Reply WF or DT?
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code