Search Members Help

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 812345>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic
Topic: Most memorable fish you never caught.< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Haggisboy Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 13 2011,12:04  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

As I was driving into work this morning I was thinking about a fish that I hooked and never landed, and the missed opportunity still haunts me. This all happened about 8 years ago.

I was fishing a small impoundment on an indian reservation from my float tube just after sun up for Bass.

It was one of those classic cool New Mexico mornings before it gets retardedly hot. Fish were moving around the weed beds and in close to the stands of cat tails surrounding the pond. The bullfrogs were croaking.

I was fishing with one of the guides from a fishing shop I used to hang out at on my lunch break from work, he was in his tube as well. I was fishing a fruit cocktail deer hair popper around the lillies, over the weed beds and into the cat tails. I don't remember if I had caught any fish at this point.

I cast my fly in tight to the cat tails with aloud "plop" and let it settle. I think I remember counting to 30 before gving it an almighty "chug". I let the fly stop and settle again. Before I knew it, the biggest largemouth I have ever seen pounced on my fly. I was in! The fish powered for the cover of the cat tails. My 8wt looked like a blue noodle in my hands, I never really got any purchase on the fish. The fish kept heading into the cat tails and the line went slack. I was devastated. The tippet had the classic tell tale pig tail in the end. I started using 20lb saltwater tippet after that.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
pyko Search for posts by this member.

Group: SL Admin
PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 13 2011,16:25 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Campbell, I usually think of a pigtail as sign of a slipped knot....
Not a break.

Sounds like a hawg though.

--------------
You can observe a lot just by watching.
Yogi Berra
 Post Number: 3
Haggisboy Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 13 2011,16:53 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Al, Yes it was definately was a slipped knot fo sho'and it definately fell into the Hawg category. I stepped up to thicker stuff rather than stronger for better knot hold.
 Post Number: 4
Paul Arden Search for posts by this member.
Fly God 2010

Group: Super Administrators
PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 13 2011,17:16 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yeah I've got two. One from my Ardleigh days when I was night fishing. About 2am after the second wind dropped big fish would come up and I would always hook and lose one to a submerged anchor rope. One night I hooked what was certainly an enormous fish only to pull the hook out close to the boat. I have no idea how big it was, but I do remember being pretty pissed about it. I think, or thought, it was a big double figure brown, but you just don't know do you? I had that fish on for a ridiculously long time.

The other one was last season in NZ. Hooked a fucking big fish on a nymph - I don't know how big - but the sort of fish that you don't see very often, let alone hook. The barstool took me across the other side of the river, where I couldn't follow, and swam through a bunch of submerged logs. There was absolutely nothing I could do. I would love to have landed that fish. I'd worked for it too. Last year the big fish had depth, I've had 9s out of that system, but this fish was an absolute tank and undoubtedly the biggest fish I've hooked in NZ.

Cheers, Paul

--------------
It's an exploration; bring flyrods.

Flycasting Definitions
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 5
pyko Search for posts by this member.

Group: SL Admin
PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 13 2011,17:56 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

There was one up North, not the biggest I'd have caught, by any means, but...
It was a good hill walk to a loch in a beautiful Corrie. The Loch is Gin clear on Limestone & sits in a Basalt Columned amphi-theatre.
It's known to be dour, but always worth the trek. The views alone are stunning. And there's the whispered legends of stunning fish.
After a couple of hours of nothing more than a sprat, I was walking along a very high steep rocky bank, maybe 25 foot off the water. I flicked my DHS roll-casting as I walked.
I watched this leviathan casually rise through the depths & turn on my fly as the sun caught him.
I tightened into him & the fly simply popped out...
I sat there for an hour after, I reckon him over 4lbs. A great fish by any standards, but for a hill loch like that? Amazing.

Anyways, he's still there. And I've a lovely memory.   ;)

--------------
You can observe a lot just by watching.
Yogi Berra
 Post Number: 6
VoodooChild Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 13 2011,20:39 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

After a decade of unsuccessful attempts we finally got our timing right for the famous palolo worm hatch in the Middle Keys. On that evening the tarpon were thick on the bar and we had landed three fish right around 100lbs and jumped several more within only an hour or so of fishing. We had about anther hour and a half of day light so things were looking great for catching a bunch of tarpon, a dream come true (it really was amazing), when the water just exploded next to the boat. I hit her really hard and must have gotten the steel in the right place, when she cleared the water again there was no question that she was a giant, and then some. Buy the time we got the anchor clear I could see the arbor on my reel, that’s at least 300 yards of backing, with an “I am not fucking around” drag setting. We worked that fish until well after dark, and followed her for  about 6 miles. I did manage to get the butt end of the leader inside the guides twice, but never really rested control enough to get a clean release. I really, really wanted to get a tape on that fish. After a two hour fight she finally rubbed through the leader. I will never forget that night. This is a short clip near the end of the fight. I’m all delirious and mumbling a bunch of nonsense to myself, and yes my fighting form is all shot to hell too. I did manage to break the fighting butt and the reel seat that night as well.
-Marshall

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsQGN5SbmKo

Attached Image
Attached Image

--------------
The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
 Post Number: 7
Nick Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 13 2011,21:02 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

There have been a lot, but one of the most depressing happened in Alaska a few years ago. We were fishing beads for egg eating rainbows in a place where there were rumored to be some BIG ones. The guide we were with insisted on tying up the rigs, and when I looked at what he'd put on I said "that's kind of a fine wire hook isn't it"...

Inevitably, some time later I connected with a big one. I jumped way out of the water to show us just how big it was and then set off downstream at high speed. I put some pressure on it thinking "I have ten pound tippet, no problem to stop this thing". And brought back a completely straightened hook.
 Post Number: 8
Al Greig Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 13 2011,23:20 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

New Zealand for me too.

Walking up a biggish river, spotted a good sized brownie lying in the eye of the pool. In the previous half mile or so there hadn't been anywhere to cross the river, and this fish was on the far side of the current.

At that point I should have done several things, but I didn't do any of them. I just threw the big stimulator at it, and shook a little slack in. The fly landed, and the trout saw it. As it lifted I can remember the sun hitting pectorals that looked like the bow planes of Red October.

Oh, f*cking hell, I thought. That really is quite enormous.

The drag free drift only lasted a couple of seconds or so before the leader straightened and the fly sunk. The trout kept lifting and following it downstream. When the fly line started to belly, the fly began to accelerate. The trout turned and gave chase. It followed the drowned stimulator , which by now was moving really quite quickly, all the way downstream.  And then, as the line straightened and the fly came on to the dangle, a bow wave appeared behind it.

There was a brief, exhilarating heaviness, before the six point four pound Rio copolymer parted like it had been cut by a knife.

Bugger.

--------------
Fook, wot spawt!
 Post Number: 9
Gilgamesh Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 14 2011,09:22 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Last or 2nd to last trip before I moved away from the Orange river.....

The spot is called Black Death :p , and the general opinion was it had to have been a Largemouth yellowfish.

Never experienced a run like that before, I'd side-stick it into the eddy, gain some line, only for it to swim into the current again.
This went on for 30 minutes plus, knew I had a fish of a lifetime on, but eventually the hook pulled and that was it.

You don't forget these things.....

And then there was a tigerfish frenzy on the Zambezi - caught 1 of 5.5kg, next cast landed, felt the tug and SAW my fly flying through the air.......no longer attached to the line! :D

--------------
There is magic in it. Let the most absent-minded of men be plunged in his deepest reveries - stand that man on his legs, set his feet a-going, and he will infallibly lead you to water, if water there be in all that region.
 Post Number: 10
TheBadger Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 14 2011,10:14 Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm lucky in that I've never lost a fish bigger than I've caught. The day will come, and it'll just be all the more painful when it does. But fingers crossed it doesnt come for a while.

However, the most painful loss was simply due to the effort exerted and the circumstances in which it occurred. I had allowed myself one last day of fishing before really knuckling down to study for my exams. We'd chosen a river that had been great for us last year, with good numbers of fish up to 8.5lbs. Unfortunately due to new ownership what was once a simple drive is now a long walk. Still, suppose that keeps a few people out. We walked through bog and marsh and shit till we hit the river. We barely saw a fish. And when we did they were completely impervious to our efforts. Finally I saw a fish holding in the tailout of a pool. Big streamer and...bang. I had it on for about 5 minutes, crossing the river several times. I played it to the net and then suddenly slack. I fell on my ass from the sheer loss of balance, saw my fly pop out of the water towards me. The fish just sat there, right on the edge, and then slow as anything drifted back into the flow. It wasn't huge, maybe 8lbs at best, but god I wanted to land it like nothing else.

If that wasn't bad enough I fell in the river twice on the walk back, badly bruising my leg in the process. I was chafed, battered and broken, with a 3 hour walk ahead of me. My mate had hooked and lost one fish too. We fed on each others sorrow. It was a dark day.

--------------
Jack Kos
RIVERWORKS Pro Team
Riverworks
Riverworks Blog
70 replies since Jan. 13 2011,12:04 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 812345>>
reply to topic new topic

» Quick Reply Most memorable fish you never caught.
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code