[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 3123>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic
Topic: salmon fishing, WTF??!!< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Ben_D Search for posts by this member.

Group: SL Admin
PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 07 2007,00:11  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Anyone else struggled to catch salmon on conventional tackle using conventional flies this year in UK?  For the third year running, I've had more on goldheads & other trout / grayling flies fished on trout tackle than when fishing for them conventionally with DH rods & salmon flies.  Will & I fished over stacks of fish last week with "usual salmon kit" on the Annan and got no response so we gave up and went after the grayling, soon after Will landed a nice but far from fresh salmon on an endrick spider.  I had a similar experience on the Tweed earlier on this year where I hooked & lost a grilse of about 4lb then landed a 3 1/2lb sea trout in consecutive casts on a size 14 olive GRHE gold head after the salmon fishers had been out all day with the wetcel 2s and cascades etc and contacted bugger all. Same story on the Eden last year, nothing when chasing salmon, put the big rod down, change to a team of nymphs & spiders, and I start hitting  fish!

Anyone else thinking about an alternative approach for migratory fish or have I simply had a few seasons of abnormal coincidences :???:
I think next year I'll be tying a box of hares lugs and going fishing with my saltwater 6wt.

Cheers

Ben

--------------
Barrio Flylines
Casting Definitions
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
totsy Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 07 2007,09:10 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Nearest i can get is foul hooking trout in the tail with the DH :( .

Many of the local sewin flys are hares ear bodys with a gamebird wing :???:

Are you catching them on dead drift or down and accross?

There are at least two gillies i know who have been catching salmon on DHer for a few years but by 'czech nymph' style short dead drift, no casting. Fucking good at it too. They started it partly due to the river make up and partly due to the amount that they would hook while grayling fishing. Lets face it, its only what people fishing a bunch of worms are doing and they completely out fish the fly boys on my beat.

ta, Lee.

--------------
Orvis Endorsed

www.doublehaul.co.uk/
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3
Al Greig Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 07 2007,09:19 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hi Ben,
I was out yesterday sharing a beat with a couple of guys who have taken the same week for the last few years, so they know the water well. Guess what? The fish wouldn't move to conventional presentations. The successful tactic was to repeatedly fish biggish heavily weighted gold or tungsten beaded nymph/bug patterns on a dropper, with maybe a stoat's tail on the point, dead drift through streamy water. The fish took the nymphs more often than the standard flies. No fish taken from the usual lies either.

Although this technique is not new, its the first time on this beat that it has completely outfished the usual methods.

Edit - That sounds familiar, Lee.

--------------
Fook, wot spawt!
 Post Number: 4
Paul Arden Search for posts by this member.
Fly God 2010

Group: Super Administrators
PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 07 2007,11:36 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hi Ben,
I think this may have always been the case, I heard the same story from a guy fishing the Tweed 30 or 40 years ago!

--------------
It's an exploration; bring flyrods.

Flycasting Definitions
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 5
rrw35 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 07 2007,18:45 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've had 8 this year, deliberately fishing for salmon.  We have had big runs here, so its down to the numbers and high water.  Been pretty dead lately though. :(

One think that is a cert with grilse/salmon in the summer....we tend to fish flies that are too big.  I have fished for salmon to no avail, then start hitting them when the trout flies go on. :???: Size 14 butchers are particularly good..  I now tend to use intermediate tips on my line, as i think a fly fishing mid water, is better than just below the surface on a floater.

Why they will refuse a size 10 fly, yet hammer a 3 inch flying C, is beyond me. :glare:  :glare:  :glare:

I think with the czech nymphing style, the fish tend to hit them, as it is drifting right onto their noses in their lies.

The fact that Grayling fishers hit so many salmon while czech nymphing, is testimony to its effectiveness.
 Post Number: 6
compagnito Search for posts by this member.

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 07 2007,18:46 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I wonder if the big salmon flies appeal to fresh run fish, behaving more like stock rainbows.

Newly stocked rainbows eagerly grab orange and green "damsel nymphs".

I briefly fished a Scottish Harbour stuffed with salmon, and watched then follow my wet Greenwell's size 14 everytime.

I think people know fuck all really about salmon.

Why do they run up rivers in January when they spawn in November/December?

--------------
www.troutflyrod.com
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 07 2007,19:15 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(compagnito @ Oct. 07 2007,18:46)
Why do they run up rivers in January when they spawn in November/December?

I think staggering the runs of fish is natures way of ensuring, that if there is a pollution incident, not all the stock is destroyed.

For fresh run salmon, i find yellow is a very good colour.  Most of my fish this year were on a fly with a yellow hackle, black wing and gold tinsel body.

Green is quite good in spring too.

I dont follow the belief that colour doesn't matter.  At the end of the year, flies with red in them, definitely have a higher success rate than any other pattern.

The currys red shrimp in particular. :;):
 Post Number: 8
Ben_D Search for posts by this member.

Group: SL Admin
PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 07 2007,19:25 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Pleased it's not just me!

Makes me wonder if they do actually feed in freshwater? I've had quite a few sea trout on dries over the years and I can't see any other reason for a fish to come up and take an insect from the surface unless it is taking it as food although many will say that sea trout feed only at sea.  With a sub surface fly it could be an aggressive / inquisitive thing particularly if the fly is something with a bit of flash.

Cheers

Ben

--------------
Barrio Flylines
Casting Definitions
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 07 2007,19:28 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I watched DVD a while back on salmon fishing in Iceland.  

They put underwater cameras in a pool and you could watch the fishes reactions to different flies.

A fly that was tweaked through the pool in a jerky manner, attracted more attention than one allowed to just swing round in the current.

I have seen this myself, having fished a pool down, allowing the line to just swing round without success...on the second run down, casting square and stripping the fly in, gets the action going. :cool:

I'll never understand salmon, they are like women...moody bastards at times. :D  :D
 Post Number: 10
Mat M Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 07 2007,20:45 Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ben_D @ Oct. 07 2007,19:25)
I've had quite a few sea trout on dries over the years and I can't see any other reason for a fish to come up and take an insect from the surface unless it is taking it as food although many will say that sea trout feed only at sea.

Does anyone have any literature on sea trout feeding behaviour and/or physiological changes once they return to freshwater. I always thought they continued to feed in freshwater. I have seen them taking nymphs and feeding on a brown beetle fall in NZ.

Is there any science that has looked at this?

Mat

--------------
www.flyodyssey.co.uk
28 replies since Oct. 07 2007,00:11 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 3123>>
reply to topic new topic

» Quick Reply salmon fishing
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code