[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic
Topic: Lines for streamers< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Hugo Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 17 2008,15:26  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I am planning some streamer fishing to target larger trout - (a la Kelly Galloup and Bob Linsenman) and i am trying to work out how quickly my line to sink.

Does anyone on the board have a strong view?

Should i be looking at a very fast sinker or a medium or slow?

I am likely to be fishing in only 'medium' flows - whatever i mean by that - ie around the edges of runs and the tails of pools rather than the faster water

Thanks
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Rich Knoles Search for posts by this member.
flybitch 2008

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 17 2008,15:58 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hi Hugo, I've heard Kelly say that he has used full sinking lines and Teeny lines. I typically use a Teeny 200 on a 6wt. My new favorite is the SA Streamer Express. Short leaders are the rule here in Michigan to keep the fly at the same level as the line. Covering water is the key. Fly needs to start moving as soon as it hits the water. Pitch it tight to the bank and strip,jig and twitch the fly on the retrieve.  Down and Across presentation. Try not to pull the fly away from the fish :p  Rich

--------------
Barrio Pro Team
 Post Number: 3
mattklara Search for posts by this member.

Group: FP Admin Team
PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 17 2008,16:23 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Rich Knoles @ Mar. 17 2008,15:58)
Try not to pull the fly away from the fish :p áRich

Don't worry, thats impossible.

Worst thing you can do is slow the fly down once the fish is after it.

--------------
Sign the petition supporting wild steelhead release on Oregon's Umpqua River system.

Sign The Petition Here

"What are the odds that Matt has a steelhead tattoo located somewhere on his body?"   - joesnuffy
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 4
Hugo Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 17 2008,17:30 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks Rich - so teeny 200 is 5.5 ips - quick but not uberquick?
 Post Number: 5
WetWading Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 17 2008,18:27 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The SA Wet Tip Express is worth a look. I use the 200grain.

--------------
"You cannot step into the same river twice. In the flow of time, an opportunity lost is lost forever."
-Heraclitus

BetterLoops.com
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 17 2008,18:56 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If you are on smaller rivers, look at the Rio 15' DC tip in Type 6.

--------------
Sign the petition supporting wild steelhead release on Oregon's Umpqua River system.

Sign The Petition Here

"What are the odds that Matt has a steelhead tattoo located somewhere on his body?"   - joesnuffy
 Post Number: 7
flybitch 2008

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 18 2008,13:57 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Hugo @ Mar. 17 2008,12:30)
Thanks Rich - so teeny 200 is 5.5 ips - quick but not uberquick?

Yes Hugo, The Streamer Express has the same sink rate in 200 grain. I'm a little leary of the shorter tips that Matt mentions even on smaller streams. This causes the line to rise up to quickly in the water column. Rich

--------------
Barrio Pro Team
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 18 2008,16:33 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I can say that on many of the rivers that I fish(ed) in the rockies, keeping the fly deep for a long time was not as critical as being able to get it deep fast for a short time and then being able to cast again very quickly without stripping in gobs of line.  

Example.  Banging the banks on the Madison River.  Heavy pocket water.  Weighted fly, short, dense tip.  Bash it in there about 2 inches from shore, strip about 5 times, and pick it up to bash it into another pocket.  You can do this fishing with very heavy flies and long leader w floating line, but that definitely requires some finesse and probably a helmet.

The 15' tip is also better, IMO, for a dredging style up and across approach (Charlie Brooks style).  Again, a product of the fisheries.

On a big open river where you are retreiving the fly longer distances, I think the integratde shooting heads like express or teeny are great.  I even will use 30' heads and mono running line.

--------------

Sign The Petition Here

Post Number: 9
flybitch 2008

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 18 2008,16:47 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I fish a lot more water than 5 strips on the Madison.  Rich

--------------
Barrio Pro Team
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 18 2008,17:45 Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

yeah, but i know those 5 strips really well  :)

Do you feel that you need to strip in more line before making another cast with the streamer espress type lines?

I'm actually rereading the Galloup/Linseman book right now.  Quite interesting.

I've never fished those midwest rivers.  Rich, you've fished the Yellowstone, Madi, Missouri, etc (right?).  Can you offer some comparisons to fuel my daydreaming.

--------------

Sign The Petition Here

13 replies since Mar. 17 2008,15:26 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic

» Quick Reply Lines for streamers
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code