Search Members Help

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic
Topic: Strike Indicator< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
joesnuffy Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 17 2008,22:16  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

So this is the first I've ever used a strike indicator.  I caught 3 fish, but missed at least ten.  Why would I be missing the hook set? I'm on very slow moving water and striping in any slack.  To set the hook I'm giving a quick-strip.  I can feel the fly coming out of their mouth. Using size 16 nymphs.  Any thoughts? thanks all
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
thefly Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 17 2008,22:33 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Joe , I am no trout expert, but just look at angles here.

If you are fishing an indicator down the leader , then you have 90 degs angle to the fly , so thats a huge amount of slack to pick up , also , the bouyancy of the indicator means you have to strick against that first which automatically lifts the fly up and out..

On the rivers I have fished recently I have nail knotted a short butt section to the fly line , and an inch behind that , I have whipped an inch section of 8/0 flouro orange utc thread, forward and back then coated very lightly in aquasure.

I watch this flouro section as I fish and watch for the stop or jag under , I feel , more direct to the fish , and an all round better indicator.

just mt $0.02c worth.
 Post Number: 3
Viking Lars Search for posts by this member.

Group: Super Administrators
PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 17 2008,22:43 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Joe is on the right trail here!
A strip is is *far* too short when nymping under an indicator - there's lots of slack to remove before contact is made. You have to move the rod! Not fast or violent - just a quick, firm lift and you're into fish. Remember that when you see the indicator move, the fish have had the fly in it's mouth for quite a long time!

Also - use level leaders - less resistance in the water - easier hooks set and it sinks much easier = less weight on the hook for required depth!

Lars

--------------
Great flycasters don't think straight - they track straight.....

If it moves - and shouldn't, use duct tape...
If it's stuck - and should move, use WD40...
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 17 2008,22:53 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm actually stripping about 2 ft of line to set the hook.  the nymph is only about 2.5 - 3 ft under the indicator..  I thought that would be enough.  I'm also keeping the rod tip quite low to the water, could that be an issue?
 Post Number: 5
Pipe Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 17 2008,23:21 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(joesnuffy @ Mar. 18 2008,00:53)
I'm actually stripping about 2 ft of line to set the hook. the nymph is only about 2.5 - 3 ft under the indicator.. I thought that would be enough. I'm also keeping the rod tip quite low to the water, could that be an issue?

When fishing with a strike indicator, I keep my rod tip high and  stay in contact with the indicator, this way you control your drift better and you can just lift your rod up slightly when you strike! When I fish with a indicator at longer distances I face downstream and cast to the side this way your line keeps tight and you hook-up rates increases! I always place my indicator 1.5-2X the depth of the water away from the fly! Hope this helps!

--------------
Yes Please!
 Post Number: 6
WetWading Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 18 2008,02:27 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

In my experience a scissor-strike is the way to go. If you're sure you have a take, strip line with your line hand while moving the rod away from your hand. This enables you to pull a tremendous amount of slack off the water. There's always more slack than you think. Keep in mind that if you do miss the fish you may just end up with a weighted fly in your ear, so be careful.

As for leaders I prefer a section of 20-30lb for turnover power, then a few feet of 3-4x as your dropper under the indicator so that it'll sink quickly.

--------------
"You cannot step into the same river twice. In the flow of time, an opportunity lost is lost forever."
-Heraclitus

BetterLoops.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 7
Whakamahi kid Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 18 2008,11:40 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

fish a big dry as your indicator and strike by lifting the rod uprght
my 2p  :p

--------------
Dental Implants Reading Berkshire
Linked In
Facebook
Twitter
 Post Number: 8
andy_with_a_rod Search for posts by this member.
BBBB Nr 4!

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 18 2008,12:29 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

im in the scissor strike corner of this ring, very rarely do i high stick, theres too many trees around to wave 9' or 10' of carbon around where i fish. check the dressing of your flies maybe? i've mentioned it on here before, but i found many "czech" or "shrimp" style patterns to be over dressed at the gape, which resulted in me losing fish.

ab

--------------
"God's always with me;
standing beside me with his big black dick."

Paul Arden.
 Post Number: 9
jomeder Search for posts by this member.

Group: FP Team
PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 18 2008,13:05 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hi,

I'm in the dry as indicator and lift to strike camp too. When the fish aren't taking off the surface I use an indicator fly, basically a hook with a foam body and a big poly yarn tuft as a wing. Floats all day, holds up heavy nymphs and is a bit of a pain to cast :-). As I think Chris said "I dare the fish to take that indicator" :-). Last river fish I caught was on an indicator fly.

In any case, the key seems to be to make sure you don't have too much slack line to the indicator and as soon as you see the indicator stop, dip or move upstream :-), lift into the strike. Sometimes I will high stick if the drift needs it, but usually I have the rod low so I can lift into the strike well. Like Lars says, quickly and firmly but not violently.

A good tip is also to watch the indicator, not the fish. Seems odd, like you should strike when you see the fish take it, why not, but I've had more success just concentrating on the indicator.

Regards,

Jo
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 18 2008,15:48 Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks all for the tips. I'll give each a try... I was doing a bit of the "scissor" but I'll try exagerating it a bit more. I know the gap wasn't closed because I was using a brassie.........

I imagine the most obvious fix is "Practice, Practice, Practice"
Thanks again!
18 replies since Mar. 17 2008,22:16 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic

» Quick Reply Strike Indicator
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code