[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 512345>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic
Topic: Odd noises comming from a rod...< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
feinn Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 26 2006,10:33  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hi,

I recently got hold of a pretty nice new rod. Putting it up yesterday I noticed that when I give it a bit of 'wobble' as you do when you're checking the action, there's a strange 'tapping' noise comming from somewhere down the blank. I think i've isolated it to the join between the tip and the 3rd piece. It's pretty odd and I've never noticed it before with any of my other rods. Just sort of sounds like someone's gently tapping on the blank with a finger nail whilst the rod it bouncing around.

Perhaps I'm being anal but I'm slightly concerned that there's a poorly fitting join or something that may weaken over time..? Apart from this the rod seems fine and certainly seems pretty dead straight.

thanks  :)

--------------
http://tamanawis.co.uk
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 2
Viking Lars Search for posts by this member.

Group: Super Administrators
PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 26 2006,12:48 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

There is a possibility that it is one of the ferrules having less that a "tight fit".

More likely, it's the eopxy over one of the guides that has come loose from the blank - that can cause a "clicking" too, and I've found to be of no problem, unless it's a SW-rod, in which case salt will get in under the epoxy and corrode the guide.

Lars

--------------
Great flycasters don't think straight - they track straight.....

If it moves - and shouldn't, use duct tape...
If it's stuck - and should move, use WD40...
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 3
hotrod Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 26 2006,13:33 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If it is a loosely bonded in spigot at the joint it is a real problem. I had such a joint once and you could feel the click on holding the rod when it was flexed.
If it is a slideover joint try applying some parrafin wax by rubbing the male part with a candle or similar.
If you are thinking of buying the rod look elseware. Such a sound will drive you to distraction long before it fails.
hoyrod
 Post Number: 4
Magnus Search for posts by this member.

Group: admin-def
PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 26 2006,14:09 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It won't just drive you to distraction - it'll break.

--------------
Casting Definitions

"X-rays will prove to be a hoax."
"Radio has no future."
"Heavier than air flying machines are impossible."
Lord Kelvin
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 26 2006,14:16 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks for the replies. I must say it's an odd thing. Never experienced it before. I've played around with it a bit and sometimes it does dissapear, but sometimes it's there... And it *may* even come from two of the joints.. Have no idea what it is but it's not loose varnish or anything.

When I've examined the joints carefully, I can't see any obvious give, and they seem to slot together pretty snuggly. But the tapping is definitely there..

--------------
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 26 2006,14:40 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ok, another update here.

I've examined the top section joint very very carefully and I can see that, even when properly connected together, there is a small gap on one side of the join, between the female outer rim and male underneath (no jokes please..)    Playing around with this it's possible to feel a very slight give so that the two sections effectively hinge slightly.

I'm now worried.

--------------
 Post Number: 7
bloody butcher Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 26 2006,14:59 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hey Mike!

That's a shitey thing to happen. If it has any kind of warranty/ guarantee I would contact the manufacturer with a view to getting it replaced.
You may end up cursing yourself if you soldier on with the rod, only for it to break next season and the manufacturer says "sorry guv, it's yer own fault."

kind regards

Alex

--------------
Hark. 'tis the call of the fish.
 Post Number: 8
piscator Search for posts by this member.

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 26 2006,15:30 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

That's a recipe for breakage and nasty to put up with even if the rod doesn't break. Get it replaced.
 Post Number: 9
easterncaster Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 26 2006,16:31 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

i have an IM6 rod, demo from years ago, and it has always
made a little creaking noise, perhaps as yours does. it was
dirt cheap sale price, and has lasted 20 yrs (?).

anyways, i have heard similar, if not the same sound
from other, lots of other rods (different manufacturers).
sounds like a loose strand inside the butt section.

walk softly and carry a quiet stick
 Post Number: 10
Magnus Search for posts by this member.

Group: admin-def
PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 26 2006,20:05 Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(easterncaster @ Oct. 26 2006,16:31)
walk softly and carry a quiet stick

:D  :D  :D  :D  :D

--------------
Casting Definitions

"X-rays will prove to be a hoax."
"Radio has no future."
"Heavier than air flying machines are impossible."
Lord Kelvin
43 replies since Oct. 26 2006,10:33 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 512345>>
reply to topic new topic

» Quick Reply Odd noises comming from a rod...
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code