Search Members Help

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 712345>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic
Topic: Golden Pheasant body patterns?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
jomeder Search for posts by this member.

Group: FP Team
PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 21 2008,09:51  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hi,

Does anyone know of any fly patterns which use Golden Pheasant body feathers? I have a skin here I've hardly touched. I have a few ideas for flies of my own, but I'd be very interested to hear of any patterns which use the feathers.

Regards,

Jo
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
mattklara Search for posts by this member.

Group: FP Admin Team
PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 21 2008,18:00 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You talking about the red ones or the gold ones?

I like both and use them regularly for tails, collars, ets on steelhead patterns.  I use the yellow body feathers as tail on my steelhead version of the Blue Charm.

Try red or yellow or both together as the wing on a muddler.

Or yellow for the shuck and leggs on a golden stonefly nymph.

Collars on Buggers.

On and on.

Maybe we should get a little contest going here for coolest use of GP body feathers?

--------------
Sign the petition supporting wild steelhead release on Oregon's Umpqua River system.

Sign The Petition Here

"What are the odds that Matt has a steelhead tattoo located somewhere on his body?"   - joesnuffy
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3
Roy Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 21 2008,18:26 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

They are widely used as hackles for shrimp flies for salmon the original being Curry's red shrimp for the Bann, developed by a Coleraine angler.

http://www.tweedsalmonfly.co.uk/Donegal....105-108

They are great dyed purple

I'm up for a competition, Matt, but I reckon the best use of GP body feathers is to keep the bird warm.

:p
Roy

--------------
Avon Special Emerger - the original inverse-reversed fly
see website
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 21 2008,20:28 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Roy,

That link shows the exact use that came into my head.  Hackled, but as a tail.  

Picking a battle with you on the tying bench seems like a great way to embarrass myself, but I'm game, so long as noone looks too closely.  I suppose I can always post blurrry pics of my flies :).

Maybe someone else will join in?  This seems like something Lars would be into.

I'll try to whip up my first attempt tonight if I have time after penning Wednesday's FP.

Remember, Sexyloops rules - Anything goes.  Don't be afraid to screw up.

Matt

--------------
Sign the petition supporting wild steelhead release on Oregon's Umpqua River system.

Sign The Petition Here

"What are the odds that Matt has a steelhead tattoo located somewhere on his body?"   - joesnuffy
 Post Number: 5
Roy Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 21 2008,21:12 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

well, it is a FRIENDLY competition Matt,
blurry photos allround again, chaps?
:???:
:D  :D

--------------
Avon Special Emerger - the original inverse-reversed fly
see website
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 21 2008,21:23 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Myabe we can send the flies to Rich for photos? :oh:

--------------

Sign The Petition Here

Post Number: 7
joesnuffy Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 21 2008,21:28 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I really need to get a better collection of tying materials.  I would like to be in on this as well.
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 21 2008,21:31 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

OK, for those who don't know the GP, we are talking about tying flies with UNDIED body feathers from this unbelievable bird.

--------------

Sign The Petition Here

Post Number: 9
joesnuffy Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 21 2008,21:41 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

is that all that you can use?
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 21 2008,21:48 Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

No, but the fly has to have some of the GP body feathers on it.

It can also have crest, tippet, and tail feathers as well I suppose, but the body feathers are required for this little experiment.

--------------

Sign The Petition Here

63 replies since Apr. 21 2008,09:51 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 712345>>
reply to topic new topic

» Quick Reply Golden Pheasant body patterns?
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code