PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

World championships in fly casting

Bernd Ziesche
Answers: 0

Post by Bernd Ziesche »

Lasse Karlsson wrote:
James9118 wrote:Ok, I really don't understand this fee business. Having been excluded from the GB team (for reasons undetermined) can I enter the WC's? Is it not just a case of registering, paying the event fee and turning up?

Hi James

Each ICSF member nation can enter a max of 8 casters in each event. That's in the current rules... So no, you can't just register, pay the event fee and turn up... Who's in charge of the GB team?
Hi Lasse,
that made me think about who is in charge of a potential German team (FF gear event). Actually no one is. Last time I was the German team. :D Germany has quite a strong organisation in regard of ICSF (casting) events. Will they now automatically be in charge?
Yet, I would just register (or try to).
There might happen to be a German qualification round this year for a first time. Torsten is working on that (supported by the German casting association).
Hope it all doesn't get too political and complex now.
Cheers
Bernd
http://www.first-cast.de
The first cast is always the best cast.
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Hi Bernd

Yes the German casting association would be in charge.
And you could try but shouldn't be able to succeed if Germany has a official team. It would most likely be a team submission for entry as it was the first time in '10.
Sounds good that you'll have tryouts in Germany, hope you guys and gals get to set a full team.

And more politics and complexity is guaranteed :D

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Torsten

Post by Torsten »

Hi,

I'm unsure if the ICSF is an advantage or a disadvantage for us. It's true, basically we have to ask now the officials for permission. Currently fly casting is ignored by them, I've asked for instance the national trainer. And our senior trainer said, that the ICSF president was against that fly casting is getting a part of the ICSF. I don't know why they changed their minds, I've heard that they need more member nations to get the olympic status / world games.

So perhaps this is not really a problem. I'll talk with our (senior) trainer about this subject, hopefully I can say more then.

Lasse:
And more politics and complexity is guaranteed
I'd rather like to avoid that :(

Thanks,
Torsten
John Waters

Post by John Waters »

Hi Torsten, there was a fair bit of support and lobbying from some nations for changing the ICSF constitution to include surf and fly fishing competitions that was not based upon extra income from fees. I think the new ICSF Board and the Fly Fishing Commission membership reflects that drive and change process over a number of years. Olympic status may be a great objective but will never be realised simply because both television ratings and ticket sales are based upon sports with public attraction and interest. World Games has the same drivers.

The success of future events with FFG will be contingent upon us competitors and the organisations supporting them.

The benefit of an organisation controlling a sport is that administrators can be voted out if their actions are not in the best interest of the sport.

John
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Hi Torsten

I'm afraid it can't be avoided. As you say, there are people within the ICSF that do not want FFG, next will be lines narrowed down to special lines only for WC, in all events, that alone will make it harder to get. The next step would be to make it from grass, then platform, then sinking lines and then why have FFG ;)

If anything I hope to see a WC where all events are cast standing in water. That way we will maintain floaters, a sound connection to flyfishing, and enough distance from casting sport for it to be valid. That way we would also be able to substitute the 18 footer for a singlehanded spey event.

Cheers
Lasse

sms

Post by sms »

No, ditch the salmon distance in my opinion. Of the distance events that is the furthest from fishing. The next furthest is sea trout, then 18 spey, then 15 spey and the closest is trout distance. This is in my opinion.

In most events the heads are too long and/or heavy.
I'm here just for the chicks.

-Sakke
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Hi Sakari

I oddly agree with the first, just put the 18 foot in water too ;)

And to be honest, most of my fishing is with gear closest to seatrout than any of the others, I don't use very long heads in competition either :)

Cheers
Lasse

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

I don't know the ins and outs of the relationship but I believe there is a separate committee. Personally I would love to see the events held together. I think we would get a crossover of people from both and an increase in skills levels.

Cheers Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
John Waters

Post by John Waters »

I think you raise some important issues Lasse and we need to work hard to ensure we do not go down that path. Whilst I'm on the ICSF Board and the FFG Commission that will not happen. My objective is simple - structure the sport and the events to ensure we both retain existing competitors and attract new competitors. There will be challenges but none insurmountable e.g. venues, support staff, canvasing competitors etc etc etc. Sure there will be divergent views, as there has always been, but in the end it is up to competitors to determine the sport's future and administrators to facilitate that future.

As you know I share your view Paul of a concurrent WCs. The lesson we learned from the 80s is that availability of venues is critical.

John
Lee Cummings

Post by Lee Cummings »

It's proving very difficult to get an answer on what was decided at this recent ICSF meeting.

Return to “Casting Sport”