PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

CLA Game Fair (UK) Casting Competition Rules

bass
Answers: 0

Post by bass »

Hi,
Anyone klnow where I can get a link to the rules for this year's casting competitions at the CLA Game fair?
Thanks,
Bass
James9118

Post by James9118 »

If it's the single handed 'saltwater' rules you're after - this was posted on the old board:

THE CLA GAME FAIR INTERNATIONAL SALTWATER FLY CASTING CHAMPIONSHIP
RULES OF COMPETITION

1. The championship is open to all comers regardless of gender, amateur or professional. Competitors need not be resident in the UK.

2. First prize will be awarded to the competitor who is judged to have cast the greatest distance using an approved Cast.

3. There will be a prize awarded to the principal manufacturer who has designed and built the rod used by the winner.

4. Competitors may compete with any rod, reel and line provided they fall within the following specifications:
• The rod must be single-handed and no greater than 12ft in length.
• The reel must be of the normal revolving spool fly reel design
• The casting line, or casting head, in the case of weight forward profile lines, may be of any length but must not exceed an overall diameter of 2.5 mm at any point and must be of a density that classifies it as a floater, in the opinion of the judges. The line must float.
• The running line or backing may be made of any material strength or density, provided it satisfies the judges that it is of a type normally used in saltwater fly-fishing. Running line will not be deemed legal if it is considered obviously too weak to hold, for instance, a running bonefish.
• A Line Tray must be worn by each competitor, and at no time must the running line be allowed to touch the ground between either competitive or false casts.
• There must be a leader/cast of at least 6ft in length attached to the front end of the line and to this must be attached a brightly coloured wool or wool substitute tag, without weight, in place of a fly.

5. Each competitor will be given one minute warm up and practice time immediately followed by two minutes competition casting time. Approved casts will only be judged during the competition time and competitors must include at least one false cast between each competition cast. The distance will be judged as the landing point of the tag at the completion of each cast.

6. Should the same distance be cast by two or more of the top competitors during the Finals of the event, then these competitors will take part in a cast off until a clear winner can be found. Competitors must use the same rod, reel and line in the cast off as has been used in the earlier stage of the Final.

7. Failure to abide by any of the above rules and guidelines could result in the disqualification of a competitor.

The decision of the judges is final.
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

When and where is it this year?

Cheers Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
bass

Post by bass »

Lee Cummings

Post by Lee Cummings »

Is there even a Spey and salt water competition on this year..?
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

I don't see it listed. We'd better find out - I was planning on attending! If there's no saltwater distance then I'll do something else. That's a bummer!

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
James9118

Post by James9118 »

Does anyone know anybody at the STA who can be asked? I don't want to paint my stripping basket before I know it's happening for sure :D .
VGB

Post by VGB »

James9118 wrote:Does anyone know anybody at the STA who can be asked? I don't want to paint my stripping basket before I know it's happening for sure :D .
Do you get extra points for artistic impression? :D
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... f-coaching
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Any news on this?

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
bass