PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Practice video

bartdezwaan
Answers: 0

Practice video

Post by bartdezwaan »

I completely get what you are saying Ben.
The speed thing makes sense and I tried it, but I keep falling back in old habits :)
But this is just the beginning. If my blister is gone I will nail this thing :)
Dirk le Roux

Practice video

Post by Dirk le Roux »

Hi Bart

Here is my graphic from your new style experiment -
http://i1379.photobucket.com/albums/ah125/dddleroux/bartexpstyle_zpsda5d3a43.jpg

And the one from your "old" style -
http://i1379.photobucket.com/albums/ah125/dddleroux/bartclassicstyle_zps79b2a5a7.jpg

The new graphic was taken from that second forward cast you mentioned and from the back cast preceding it.

Your elbow path now sits above shoulder path and the wrist path is quite a bit elevated. Your arm is also much more straight throughout. Arc angle is wider... I show two forward cast rod stop positions because the sequence between the two suggest a fast drift but still a power application. A slow stop if you will.

It would be fascinating to compare what you settle on from this exercise with the two thus far.

All the best,
Dirk
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Practice video

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi Bart,
Try throwing the tip into the ground on the backcast. This forces you to open up.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
bartdezwaan

Practice video

Post by bartdezwaan »

@Paul. Thanks I will try it when I get back. In Kent at the moment.

@Dirk. Many thanks for the analysis. I can already tell you I will drop this style straight away.
I felt the muscles of my upper chest up to my triceps for 2 days. Like I had been lifting weights. This is going to lead to injuries for sure.

Up to experiment number two :D

Will keep you updated!
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Practice video

Post by Paul Arden »

Lifting weights is a good idea.
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
stesiik

Practice video

Post by stesiik »

Hi Bart!

That high hand is a risk of injury, foremost in your shoulder. Read about rotator cuffs and impingement. I know people that handle competition distance with high rod hand without injuries but they work out 5 days a week.

I looks like you need much more speed/tempo if you plan on shooting line from a 90ft carry.

Best regards
Stefan
Prinsviggo

Practice video

Post by Prinsviggo »

Hi Bart, as most great casters you've developed a "flow" and personal style. Always details to work on though.

The first thing I noticed was that with the high positioned hand. Wouldn't it be less exhausting to lower it?

Also, the higher the hand the less working space for translational motion, and you have to kick in a powerful rotation (and a valuable powerful haul) with a risk of having a bit of slack in the line system.

I try to figure out how to maximise force over distance when I cast myself and it works better with a hand in ear level. It's always a compromise between my own anatomy (force) and my casting skills (distance). I've always been told late rotation is the best and it has been like a mantra to me. Last week, after some weeks of almost daily practise, I begun to rotate earlier. I lost an inch in stroke length but became more powerful in rotation. I also used finger on top for increased loop control. I gained distance.

What I'm trying to say is that I casted further from decreasing my stroke lenght, you might do so from increasing it by lowering your hand. And you got to find out where your golden path is of force over distance.

This workes for me, that's all I can promise

Cheers, Staffan

Return to “Casting Sport”