PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Line wieghts in Comps

Michal Duzynski
Answers: 0

Line wieghts in Comps

Post by Michal Duzynski »

I'll start

I spoke with Lassee and Im happy with what he said in his explanation to my question about 5wt line weight.
Here comes a question to Saskari and others just for a sake of discussion.
Do you think that my 25.7g of MED has less chances of winning then 26.4 or 26.7g ( lets leave the caster performance)?
Can this 0.5, or 0.8g make a difference in distance? And same for the ST27 27g and 26.4g head?
As I understand heavier goes further- but is it in this case?

Cheers
Mike
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Line wieghts in Comps

Post by Paul Arden »

No it depends. You need to find out why it's lighter and how it compares to heavier ones. If they have identitcal tapers and lengths which I doubt then the heavier one will cast further.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Michal Duzynski

Line wieghts in Comps

Fuck, now I regred I started this thread and should stay and cast this orange string( I might get deepresed now ha ha)
Ok Paul, It wont happen that I will have 5-10 of MED to compare, and even if I do ( and Im not an expert), how and where would I know the difference in taper.
Lets say
Lay down 5 of them straight, 1 is 0.3g heavier then the other and what do you do- run your fingers through it and mark where the line get thiner ( meaning shorter head)????
My main question is ( Paul you said yes), if this variance on 0.3g could really make a difference???
Cheers
Mike
P.s
Somebody pls say NO- so I can sleep in peace ha ha ha
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Line wieghts in Comps

Post by Paul Arden »

I don't know! It could be better! :)

Goodnight :cool:

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Lasse Karlsson

Line wieghts in Comps

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Welcome to the nerd world Mike :D

Next step is getting a micrometer to measure where the taper ends, and how the taper of the head looks like ;)

And at the end of the day, it's out in the field and cast them to find out.

The Swedes love the Rio gold tournament, because it has a thinner runningline, it also weighs less in the head, and in the right hands and conditions throw further than the MED.

If one line is longer than the other, it will overall weigh more, you need to measure the head of your line to see how big a difference there is, I send you the Norwegian measurements yesterday, so you can compare.

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
James9118

Line wieghts in Comps

Post by James9118 »

Hi Mike,

Adding to what Lasse said, I believe that Mikael Blomberg won the ST27 WCs last time with a head weighing around 24g. I think I've now got 4 lines and 3 rods that I could potentially use for this event - so lots of options for an outfit :whistle:

Cheers, James
Michal Duzynski

Line wieghts in Comps

Micrometer HA!
Looking at my time ratio between fishing and casting, work and family ( and I juat got a puppy), I really might get one.
Now what you said Lasse makes me think :pirate: .
If I have a half a foot loger MED in a running line, the line on the scale will weight more- this- lets say 0.6g ( the bit Im worry about) and then I supouse to be happy having 26.3g entire MED. Now as Paul said havier will go further - I reckon he ment in the head- but if not the extra weight ( im worry about) would be on the grass next to my legs, so it shouldnt actually mater, and I shouldnt worry about it. Also the half foot longer running line ( the extra 0.6g) might put more friction on the guides in the final delivery- more than the same half foot of backing that could run through the guides???
P.s
James thats the answer I wanted to hear ha ha ha
Cheers
Mike
Attachments
20170429_075947-800x600.jpg
Michal Duzynski

Line wieghts in Comps

Lasse
I saw some results from Pitea, where Urlik won with 45.1m cast, do you know if it was a MED or RIO COMP?
Lasse Karlsson

Line wieghts in Comps

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

That wasn't in Piteå, but I guess he would do it there to when that comp happens in June :blush:

Ulrik threw 45,1 in Göteborg, and he used the Rio, as it is legal in the Swedish competitions.

And you are right, if the additional weight is a longer runningline, it won't help in distance. Paul's absolute that heavier goes further is only right in theory.

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Michal Duzynski

Line wieghts in Comps

O there you go, I have learned something.
How is this Rio Tournament line anyway, and what advantagd it has vs MED.
...and just as an example with the same conditions, and same techmique how far MED would go knowing tha Rio went 45m?

Return to “Casting Sport”