PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

WC Accuracy Rules

James9118
Answers: 0

WC Accuracy Rules

Post by James9118 »

Boisker wrote:I
I’m surprised the outer ring still carries a score out to 180cm, I fish streams narrower than that :D
You have to hit that target at 8-15m though. The BFCC have had lots of very competent river anglers compete in this event (including some international competition fishers) - nearly all finish by saying it's harder than it looks :D

James
Boisker

WC Accuracy Rules

Post by Boisker »

Hey James
Don’t misunderstand... i’m definitely not saying it’s easy, but even so 180cm is still fairly generous, if you practice I reckon you should feel fairly confident of landing within 180cm. I’d be pretty disappointed when fishing if I missed my spot by nearly a metre.
But you’re not gonna place well in any comp with loads landing in the 120-180 range :D

I practice to 18” rings, so 45cm, I need to make up some 120cm rings (i’ve googled and can’t find any) as it would be really interesting how many fall outside the 120cm. I reckon I could currently get 12 out of 16 in the middle ring or closer, but def can’t hit the inner ring consistently with a first up cast.

The other crucial aspect is the psychological pressure change the moment you set it up as a competition style of 16 consecutive casts at 4 targets. If I just practiced at my usual 18” rings, I’d be confident of getting 12 out of 16 casts at least within the 120 cm range, but put three rings out as in competition I’m not so sure :whistle: and throw in a bunch of people watching and I can already feel the muscles tightening...

It makes me think of fishing on the Frome 5 or 6 years ago, my casting was nowhere near where it is now, but I’d been casting fine, really enjoying a great day on a chalkstream mid-Mayfly with loads of fish rising. Got to a bridge pool and suddenly found myself casting in front of about 6 spectators... it all got a bit much for me, I struggled to land it on the river let alone 2’ upstream from a rise :D
James9118

WC Accuracy Rules

Post by James9118 »

I've not had a single contest yet where I haven't scored a zero (a complete miss) on one of the casts :D . The number one thing that people struggle with in this event (from my experience watching at the BFCC) is shortening the line in the air - that's quite an unnatural thing to do - I've seen lots of weird techniques such as holding the line in the mouth :sick:

I might start practising for this event more being as I'm well past my peak as far as distance goes.
Boisker

WC Accuracy Rules

Post by Boisker »

James... I have absolutely no doubt that in a competition I would score a number of zero’s :D .... like you say I reckon the only way to get the technique sound and relaxed whilst doing it would be loads of practice and ideally regular comps.
I’ll have to see if I can make up a couple of hoops with some alcathene pipe from work, I’m fairly certain my performance wouldn’t be as good as I imagine... and i’m equally sure my wife would agree :D
Boisker

WC Accuracy Rules

Post by Boisker »

Is there a spring BFCC event at Cullompton this year?
I had planned to attend last year, but was upcountry that weekend
James9118

WC Accuracy Rules

Post by James9118 »

Boisker wrote:Is there a spring BFCC event at Cullompton this year?
I had planned to attend last year, but was upcountry that weekend
Yes, on the 22nd of April - hopefully they will be running an accuracy comp to the WC rules there. Unfortunately I can't make it as I'll be bonefishing :yeahhh:
Boisker

WC Accuracy Rules

Post by Boisker »

You must be gutted :D :D

I’ll put it in my diary and see if I can make it, alas I don’t own a 5w so won’t be competition compliant :whistle:

Edit.... by which I mean Collumpton, not gate crashing your bonefishing :D
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

WC Accuracy Rules

Post by Paul Arden »

Getting a 1 point or a tick (0) is really a disaster. I managed to tick on my very first cast last championship!

I think one of the considerations you have take into account is that hitting the ring is first cast. We're actually just a lot less accurate on our first cast than many of us think. There is not a seasoned competitor who most likely wouldn't hit the centre ring on his second cast (and every cast thereafter).

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Lasse Karlsson

WC Accuracy Rules

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

2010 it took 50 points to get to the final, 2012 it took 46 points to get to the final, 2014 it tool 52 points to get to the final and 2016 it took 53 and being fast about it to get to the final. Each final have been won with over 60 points being cast.
I think we'll see 60+ needed to get to the final this year, unless we have a storm :oh:

And I agree with Paul, the first cast delivery counts on every target makes it hard.

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Boisker

WC Accuracy Rules

Post by Boisker »

Although I’ve never entered a comp, I do cast at 4 randomly spaced targets fairly regularly and I’d agree... it’s nice and easy with 2casts at each target :D

I have noticed my most common fault is my first cast is usually too long.... assuming I’m concentrating the direction is normally ok, but it can be annoyingly out the back of the target.... I guess practicing the hover is crucial to success.

Return to “Casting Sport”