PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Spey vs Salmon Rod

John Waters
Answers: 0

Spey vs Salmon Rod

Post by John Waters »

Hi All,

Am wondering if there is any difference in action/profile between rods made for spey casting and for salmon event casting. I do not cast the spey events but may do so next year.

Thanks in advance,

John
Lasse Karlsson

Spey vs Salmon Rod

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Hi John

Personally, I use the same for both, but I am far from being competitive in spey :blush:
If anything, I think some might use a slightly stiffer rod in Spey.

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
John Waters

Spey vs Salmon Rod

Post by John Waters »

Hi Lasse, thanks for your reply, appreciated.

John
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Spey vs Salmon Rod

Post by Paul Arden »

Most use a rod with a soft butt and a stiffish tip for Speys and the reverse for overhead. Looking forward to seeing you in England, John! I don't compete with the DHD. Although I often borrow someone's outfit for the OH.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
John Waters

Spey vs Salmon Rod

Post by John Waters »

Thanks Paul appreciated. Really looking forward to Cumbria, will be my first WC with fly fishing gear and am enjoying casting with the light gear. Saw Lee's recent results in Salmon and Sea Trout, super casting. Bloody hell, I have to stop for a rest when I drive that far. Looking forward to catching up with some casters I have met before and meeting new casters with whom I have corresponded or watched on video.

It is a great sport, both engaging and challenging and the people you meet at casting events make it the sport it is.

John
sms

Spey vs Salmon Rod

Post by sms »

I cast salmon with the rod I used to use for spey. It is light enough for salmon stuff and has pretty much constant bend curve. But, overall a more tip action rod suits Salmon well and is terrible in spey. In spey one wants a stiff tip. And since we do not want a super stiff poker of a rod, we need to have a bendier butt.
I'm here just for the chicks.

-Sakke
James9118

Spey vs Salmon Rod

Post by James9118 »

This is Mike Heritage in action at a recent BFCC meeting with the club's 55g overhead outfit:
PA081162.JPG
To me, this rod has a little bit too much flex. It's a 15ft #10 wt Spey rod. I'd prefer something with a bit more stiffness lower down for the overhead.

Cheers, James
Lasse Karlsson

Spey vs Salmon Rod

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

https://vimeo.com/66475194

Magnus Hedman throwing serious distance with a zpey rod :p

James, why stiffer butt for the overhang???

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
James9118

Spey vs Salmon Rod

Post by James9118 »

Lasse Karlsson wrote:
James, why stiffer butt for the overhang???
Hi Lasse,

Interesting that you mention overhang because I'm not using a lot at all for this event at the moment. Perhaps that's why I prefer something stiffer - to lessen the counterflex? I also get that 'noodly' feeling with Spey rods, but perhaps that's just my preference at the moment.

Cheers, James
John Waters

Spey vs Salmon Rod

Post by John Waters »

That's a super video Lasse, thanks for sharing. The fight and turnover of the line shows the rod bend is very effective. Be interesting to see a non spey rod action perform and the impact on the back end of the line at say 30 metres, if any impact is seen at all. Opened my eyes. Thanks again.

John

Return to “Casting Sport”