PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Strength and Throwing

VGB
Answers: 0

Strength and Throwing

Post by VGB »

Maybe competition casters should look at conditioning rather than strength exercises?

Regards

Vince
Casting instruction - making simple things complicated since 1765

https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... f-coaching
Bernd Ziesche

Strength and Throwing

Post by Bernd Ziesche »

James9118 wrote:
Paul Arden wrote: The only way that I can settle this argument is for you to train weights for six months and if you are not seeing noticeable results then, well, I’ll eat my hat. :cool:
Perhaps the safer experiment is for you to give up weight training for 6 months, but keep the casting going - then monitor your results. :pirate:
Very good point, James!
I tend to believe, that training exactly what you want to become better in, is by far the best training. That of course will train exactly those muscles you need.

Paul,
everytime I went into serious weight liftings (I have a long history in material arts) it only kept me from being in good shape for training my fly casting for at least that day. Not going into weight lifting allowed me to much better concentrate on training my casting skills. Weight lifting kept me from focussing on my casting at least to some significant degree.

Now you mentioned Tor, fine. How about Maxine outperforming everyone with brilliant technique in accuracy.
I don't think she did much (if any) workout in regard of weight lifting. I talked to Glen and he told me how they trained. It was exactly about training precisely the technique you then need for the casting. Nothing else.

In my opinion fly casting is 99% about controlling the technique.

Again, if additional line speed results in more distance depends on the cast. And then again additional line speed mostly comes with explosive strength not increasing body weight by lifting weights and eating raw eggs imo.. :p

Remember Mikael Blomberg outcarrying all of us? He was the only one to aerilize 100 feet of fly line. No one else came close. But he would not have won arm wrestling with all of us. :p :pirate: It was his brilliant technique, not muscles.

Regards
Bernd
http://www.first-cast.de
The first cast is always the best cast.
Bernd Ziesche

Strength and Throwing

Post by Bernd Ziesche »

VGB wrote:Maybe competition casters should look at conditioning rather than strength exercises?

Regards

Vince
Hi Vince,
In my opinion, yes.
Regards Bernd
Bernd Ziesche

Strength and Throwing

Post by Bernd Ziesche »

Paul Arden wrote: I think that the biggest bonus of training your body and not just your technique is haul speed.
How do you train your technique without training your body? :???:

You can though train your body without training your technique! ;)
Bernd Ziesche

Strength and Throwing

Post by Bernd Ziesche »

Lasse Karlsson wrote:Crap,
Hi Lasse ;)
Can you pls. specify what exactly is crap? :p
Thanks, mate!
Cheers Bernd
Bernd Ziesche

Strength and Throwing

Post by Bernd Ziesche »

Let's have a look at Ronny Landin and his performance in 2012 and Bernt Johansson in 2018. Both fly casters hit 44m in the top end in heavy tailwind. Ok, Ronny was standing on surface level, why Bernt was standing significant above it. Therefore Ronny had a more horizontal wind. Anyway...
I would be very surprised, if not Bernt would be able to easily beat Ronny in arm wrestling as well as mastering to controll heavier rods. Still their distances topped out at the same distance. In my opinion both mastered their specific technique to a high degree in the very first place.
Paul,
back to Tor... you are right he did an outstanding performance in winless/low wind situations. Does he add distance on Bernt's and Ronny's max distances in heavy winds? Not, from what I have heard.
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Strength and Throwing

Post by Paul Arden »

I haven’t trained for two years, James! It’s one reason that I’m off the pace. And of course proper weight training technique is absolutely essential. I’m not talking heavy weights by the way, but middle weights with say 20 reps.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Lee Cummings

Strength and Throwing

Post by Lee Cummings »

There’s lots of points for and against here but the main thing is that it boils down to personal choice whether to train or not.

Personally it is essential for me to train to keep my lower back healthy following damage from an RTA in 2008, I cannot escape the cycle anymore. If I have a week off I am in pain once again until I train my lower back.

I know that no one will become a hulk after 6 months or develope any real strength gains ( outside of getting better at weight lifting technique)....... four years solid of not missing a session or a meal, then you see real differences.

Success from the gym accounts for about 10% of your time, the other 90% is made up of Diet` and Rest, if you can factor your work life stress into that then your onto a winner.

If someone suggested that they would like to start weights I would encourage it for sure, as long as they went away understanding that it’s a small steps can still reach the moon kinda journey...just like casting
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Strength and Throwing

Post by Paul Arden »

Ok let me rephrase it. :p Everyone I know, apart from
James, who has experimented with weights has found an improvement in their casting. I suppose it could be a coincidence!

Cheers, Paul

PS I can see that trying to get Bernd to test this theory out for us is not going to work :D
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Lee Cummings

Strength and Throwing

Post by Lee Cummings »

Which photo was I heaviest in, They were taken approximately 5 week apart?

The timing of your type of training is key, but not as important as your Diet` on your final performance.
Attachments
A59D79CE-9ED4-4181-A576-C0D22A0FAC54.jpeg
896F7027-BA42-4241-B27A-766B82150DBC.jpeg

Return to “Casting Sport”