PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

ICSF

Lasse Karlsson
Answers: 0

Re: ICSF

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Paul Arden wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:49 am Hi Lasse,

You have to remember there are people who world prefer to judge than to cast. This is their calling.

Cheers, Paul
Cool, I'll try to remember that 🤣
And treat them royally, while this thread initially got heated over the 80 euro all inclusieve price pr. day 😉

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Torsten

Post by Torsten »

Lasse,
It's cool that the national organisation should fund sending a judge, what happens when no such person and organisation and funding is available?
In this case your simply not taking part. That's the rule for the "classic" casting sport, fly casting has not yet such a refined rule set to my knowledge. This rule is simple and straightforward, this way you make sure that there are enough (independent) judges. Of course you're right this is a major challenge if your organisation is small and not well funded. We have this problem for the WC qualifications in Germany, for qualification you have to take part at 4 dedicated competitions and of course you need a judge for every county - I'd estimate for all 4 qualifications ~1000€/person + money for the judge etc. Because our fishing organisation in Berlin does not fund this anymore we're not taking part at these qualifications and rather spend our money for smaller tournaments with the most fun like world cups.
John Waters

Post by John Waters »

Thanks James and Paul, in Australia, at sanctioned events, we measure the three longest casts and average the result for all distance events. Casts are pegged and measured directly in line from the centre of the platform to where the fly lands. We use a nylon tape now to measure the distance and competitors judge each other. In accuracy, the score is where the fly first lands, it can hit outside the target and bounce into the target and judges will call the score on the first contact. It can be a tad controversial on very rare occasions but that is life. Easier on water than on other surfaces. We have
event here called Fishermans Accuracy and Distance in which both the accuracy and distance segments are cast on grass. Bouncing deliveries are a tad more frequent on grass and we are looking at an underlay for the accuracy hoops that will alleviate this problem. Still not a major issue but the ACF see it as one worth trying to minimise.

John
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

It’s for this reason I like to see accuracy done over water, John. Also it’s very difficult to see ticks otherwise. We had a comp in KL last weekend and it was extremely difficult to measure over grass (I was measuring). When flies jump about you have to be careful not to blink or you’ll miss it!

In Hungary I have some nice splash pans but they are on the small size. 1.8m splash pans would be perfect but the size of the plant pot would be huge :D

I’m fine with either way of measuring, straight or down the line. Flycasting distance is generally measured down a tape as in the WC, BFCC, BoW, SL and so on. With T38 and T120 it’s measured to the fly at ICSF. Makes a difference how you deal with veering winds when you are taking the shot. But you adapt to the rules at hand. Both have relative skills.

Back when I was first getting into this we used to set the course up at all angles, from crosswinds to headwinds. If we had a strong wind in one direction we would first cast into it and then later cast with it. Back then we felt that casting with the wind was cheating. But of course times have changed now :laugh:

Mind you the experience of this helped me win a comp in Montana which was set up to cast into a headwind!

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Casting Sport”