PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Club Competitions

bartdezwaan
Answers: 0

Club Competitions

Post by bartdezwaan »

Paul Arden wrote:Bart, you can still compete every month in this circuit. Just use world rules and have someone score you!

We are going to start recording all scores and of just the longest ones (as Lee currently does). I think that will be very interesting both for seeing number of shots as well as consistency.

I’ll draw up the curve cast layout and you can try this too :cool:

Cheers, Paul
Oke Cool.
Will try to do it this week.

And Paul. Are you sure you carry 90ft when casting your max distance?
I have been experimenting with this and I seem to cast further with a carry of around 85ft.

Cheers, Bart
bartdezwaan

Club Competitions

Post by bartdezwaan »

Lee Cummings wrote:Good luck Bart taking that on is no mean feat mate
Thanks Lee.
Luckily I have 9 people willing to help me out with the organization of this. So I am not alone.

Cheers, Bart
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Club Competitions

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi Bart,

When I went out and shot the 5WT carry video on a log, I measured the line along a tape at 88’6”. That was at the beginning of the video. After measuring I put a knot in at 92’ and carried to that (that’s the end of the video). Sometimes less is more and with the HT10 compared to the HT6 slightly less is more optimal - I think because theoretically there is less Countrerflex (and I often use pullback, even on the final backcast).

Another consideration is to check the line because they can vary. I remember many years ago Lee came with a MED marked at 84’ (I think it was 84?) and the loops didn’t have the same dynamic morphing. The dynamics changed at around 86’.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
bartdezwaan

Club Competitions

Post by bartdezwaan »

Thanks Paul,

I don’t doubt that you carry those distances on the video.
On my practice line I put a marker at 90ft. I laid the line down at the point that I would normally shoot and was surprised to see that I was way short of 90ft.
I was wondering if that might also be the case if you are going for it for real.
It is perfectly possible that my MED is not what it’s supposed to be anymore. At some point I kept throwing of my complete leader. A couple of times there was a knot in my fly line which I just cut of. The fly line is one meter shorter now, and I wonder if I cut that much from the tip.
Anyway, I am way off topic now.
I will go for it, with a new line, this week and let you know the results.

Cheers, Bart
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Club Competitions

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi Bart,

I’ll mark one up the same way and see. I vary the line carry slightly. I know I have very stable results from carrying (what feels like) less sometimes. But if I have a slight (not too strong) tailwind I usually try to carry on the upper end because the wind seems to help it straighten even with running line beyond the top of the loop.

I was actually surprised when I measured on the log and found it was less than 90. That’s why I went out and carried 92 :) Of course being on a log loses the body movement.

Now that I’m taking this a bit more seriously again I’ll get more scientific about it. I often wish the line was a meter longer! That would be fun :)

Cheers,,Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Michal Duzynski

Club Competitions

Post by Michal Duzynski »

Ciao
PROJECT ACCURACY - compleate.
Visible, folds and fits into shoping bag. Couple of tent pegs to hold in in place and we ready to go.
In couple of weeks casting begings.
Cheers
Mike
Attachments
20190102_174437-800x450.jpg
20190102_174727-800x478.jpg
20190102_175135-500x680.jpg
20190102_175135-500x680.jpg (191.72 KiB) Viewed 3187 times
daniel

Club Competitions

Post by daniel »

They look great Mike, nice and easy to transport and set up. If the fly lands with pace does it stay where it lands or does it bounce?
Michal Duzynski

Club Competitions

Cheers Daniel.
I did not cast to them yet, but it is a thick fabric and it should not bounce.
I went for black, as it is less glary and I have plenty of white fluff- ha ha ha
daniel

Club Competitions

Post by daniel »

Let me know how they work when you try them out Mike, if they're a success I may copy your idea and make some myself. If the fluff/fly bounces you could maybe tie it using hook and loop velcro :D

Cheers
Dan
Michal Duzynski

Club Competitions

No worries.
Will do tomorrow

Return to “Casting Sport”