PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Double Haul timing

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Double Haul timing

Post by Paul Arden »

Ironically perhaps I think we all agree. If at least by stabilising the loop we mean pulling it.

Since that’s a very important part of how the loop functions shouldn’t that be part and parcel of the whole physics deal?

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Lasse Karlsson
Answers: 0

Double Haul timing

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Na, don't think the loop is pulling the line :)

But cool you're on with Carls energy packet whiplash idea!

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
VGB

Double Haul timing

Post by VGB »

The tension in the loop provides a pseudo rigidity. I’m just glad that the proposed experiments involve a rod and line :cool:
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... f-coaching
James9118

Double Haul timing

Post by James9118 »

Paul Arden wrote:Ironically perhaps I think we all agree. If at least by stabilising the loop we mean pulling it.

Since that’s a very important part of how the loop functions shouldn’t that be part and parcel of the whole physics deal?

Cheers, Paul
yes, we just need to strip the magic out first :sorcerer:
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Double Haul timing

Post by Paul Arden »

Tension, force, pulling. It’s all the same. I pretty sure that the dropped chain shows it. Propagation of tailing loops shows it. The problem with these physics discussions being so polarised is that Lasse is left believing one thing to the exclusion of the other when both are true.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
VGB

Double Haul timing

Post by VGB »

James9118 wrote: yes, we just need to strip the magic out first :sorcerer:
It wouldn’t be Xmas without magic :pirate:
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

Lasse Karlsson

Double Haul timing

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Paul Arden wrote:Tension, force, pulling. It’s all the same. I pretty sure that the dropped chain shows it. Propagation of tailing loops shows it. The problem with these physics discussions being so polarised is that Lasse is left believing one thing to the exclusion of the other when both are true.

Cheers, Paul
:D

So dolphin loops are just poor pullers or what :p

Your distance cast loop from Fagernes loka mostly like slack, can you explain the idea of a pulling force or higher Tension in it?

Not much of a religiuos person, so don't believe much mate ;)

Cheers
Lassr
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Geenomad

Double Haul timing

Post by Geenomad »

Paul Arden wrote: The problem with these physics discussions being so polarised is that Lasse is left believing one thing to the exclusion of the other when both are true. l
Actually I think there are several problems with these "physics" discussions. One is that some contributors steadfastly avoid the fundamental question - what powers turnover? Another is trying to slide from that question to what the loop does. A third is attempting to distract from the slide with the pursuit of modular red herrings and the minutiae of complex abstraction. We are invited to go down to the woods for the teddy bears picnic and then to chase rabbits from an inexhaustible warren.

Your assertion, Paul, is simply untrue. Camp 2 followers have not once said that tension doesn't exist.

To take another car analogy. My 4WD has a 4.2l diesel engine and the 12v cranking battery is rated at about 700 CCA. One AA battery is nominally 1.5v so 8 of them wired in series would be 12v. If I take such an 8 pack and connect it in parallel with the cranking battery then when I turn the key, technically, it will be true to say it is contributing to turnover. Practically, it would be absurd to say the AA cells are turning over the engine.

I/We don't exclude the rod leg, mediated via the loop, acting on the fly leg (which is pulling on the rod leg). Yes there is tension as has been said repeatedly. Why do you keep saying otherwise? :sorcerer:

Cheers
Mark
"The line of beauty is the result of perfect economy." R. W. Emerson.
https://thecuriousflycaster.com
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Double Haul timing

Post by Paul Arden »

This is also true Mark, giving direct answers is not something that is apparently possible in physics and you have to ask questions instead.

Tension exists, (tension is a pulling force). How much tension is at the fly leg now compared to the rod leg we don’t know since Vince said it was not the same. If it was the same then we know it’s quite significant. On a classic U shape loop it is the same :)

Lasse has been reading these threads for as long as I have and believes that -camp 2? - have a fly leg overtaking or pushing on a loop... probably - and that’s how Graeme had it stated in his first video, so maybe that’s why. Of course that can’t be happening for the line to behave in the way it does.

The line is in flight but also being pulled seems rather difficult to conceptualise. :laugh:

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
VGB

Double Haul timing

Post by VGB »

Hi Paul
Paul Arden wrote:
Tension exists, (tension is a pulling force). How much tension is at the fly leg now compared to the rod leg we don’t know since Vince said it was not the same. If it was the same then we know it’s quite significant. On a classic U shape loop it is the same :)
And if we only cast classic U shape loops, answering physics questions would be very simple indeed. However, some can cast loops that have sufficient tension to pick up a long length of rod leg but not enough to pull a little wrinkle out of the fly leg, so variable tension is real.

https://vimeo.com/66594606
Paul Arden wrote: Lasse has been reading these threads for as long as I have and believes that -camp 2? - have a fly leg overtaking or pushing on a loop... probably - and that’s how Graeme had it stated in his first video, so maybe why. Of course that can’t be happening for the line to behave in the way it does.
I’m sure that Lasse understands perfectly well that the outcome depends on the input casting stroke. The camp 2 explanation provides a simple explanation for the fly line behaviour that works well.

Paul Arden wrote: The line is in flight but also being pulled seems rather difficult to conceptualise. :laugh:
Get yourself a little rubber duck on wheels that is pulled by a long piece of string. Holding on to your piece of string run as fast as you can for 20 metres then go to a slow jog. For a while, ducky will be catching you up but you will still be pulling on the piece of string. Now you have conceptualised it go out and cast 150ft.

Vince

Return to “Casting Sport”