PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Double Haul timing

VGB
Answers: 0

Double Haul timing

Post by VGB »

Not for me. It read as authentic pure frontier gibberish :upside:
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... f-coaching
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Double Haul timing

Post by Paul Arden »

Maybe I’ve been spending too much time in Malaysia. :p
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Lasse Karlsson

Double Haul timing

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Paul Arden wrote:
According to you, I cannot release before the haul is over, otherwise its not a haul :p

Don’t blame me - Vince started it. I would certainly be interested to see the light switch and high speed video of the rod bend for your erm “stopless haul”? “Through haul release”? “Pre-shoot”?

Cheers, Paul
Haul ends when I release the line, right? It stops when I release the line, right?

I've posted that release clip here more times than I care to think of, its on vimeo ;)

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Double Haul timing

Post by Paul Arden »

Got a link? :)

Flycasting Definitions
Lasse Karlsson

Double Haul timing

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

gordonjudd wrote:
How can you determine the release point from a picture???
and
by the time I can see my fingers be apart on a clip even in 240fps and HD, the line has been release long ago...
Lasse,
I think you can determine when the line was released within a frame or two on a high speed video by seeing the motion of the fingers. If the line was released long ago it would not still be close to the hand as shown in Paul's release.
I've already stated what I aim for, and when I aim to release
Since "I aim to let go, when the rod tip deviates significantly from the X direction.. " is not very specific do you aim to release your haul significantly before RSP1 or just before RSP1? I am assume you think that releasing after RSP1 (as most competitors seem to do) is too late.
Gordy

Hi Gordy

Cool you think that, I don't.

And yeah, the line would still be close to Pauls hand, his hauling hand is throwing the line in the opoosite direction to the cast, think a snapcast. There one loop doesn't just immideatly fall out of the air does it?

And yeah, as I've said for the last like 6 years, I mostly aim to release before RSP, like most of my competitors do, but think they don't...

Cheers
Lasse

Lasse Karlsson

Double Haul timing

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Paul Arden wrote:Got a link? :)
Vimeo.com :p

VGB

Double Haul timing

Post by VGB »

gordonjudd wrote:Just as in shooting cannon balls the initial KE at launch is important in casting not just the velocity in the x direction.
Gordy

If I am trying to hit a discrete target with a cannonball, I would want to know its initial momentum not it's initial KE. Try some straight arm casting and compare it with your normal stroke, you'll see the difference in outcome.
gordonjudd wrote: A case in point isthe tip path that Paul produced in this cast. It is hard to see exactly because of the background, but is close to the red line below.
If you have taken that from original video, I would say that Paul needed casting lessons. The acceleration profile between those points are all over the place. The yellow arrow though does look a good fit for the intended direction of the cast.
Paul cast.jpg
Vince
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

Michal Duzynski

Double Haul timing

Post by Michal Duzynski »

Ciao Bart.
You started it right?
Now, show them this discussion, maybe even print it out for them and let me know how many showed you a finger and run away from the Dutch team ha ha ha.
Sexyloops is Sexyloops no doubt, but we need KISS( keep it simple stupid) in our new teams to make them like it.
Rotate-haul as late as possible- put this in their heads.

P.s
Paul, I hope you wont band me after this. Remember you are a guru of comp fly casting for some...
All this discussions, MCF, RSP, late, early releese, tip speed, tip direction, bead chain videos..bla bla, and in the WC you did not check your leader and shit happend.
This discussion should be in technical analisys of fly casting, and who wants it will follow.

P.s2
As Vince from QLD said, when everybody wirry about the tackle for the big fish "HOOK UP FIRST AND THEN YOU WORY"

P.S3
I went for a cast today with 5MED, I was thinking abut this diacussion and try to figure it out how, whem I am releesing the line, when my haul ends and all get mesy. When I went back to basics( try as late as posible) and focus on my body movement things went great..

So, just to clarify, I am not a winger, but if we want to build a new fly casting teams lets go back to basics.

Off to bed now.
Ciao ciao
Mike
VGB

Double Haul timing

Post by VGB »

Michal Duzynski wrote:Rotate-haul as late as possible- put this in their heads.
Hi Mike

You’re overthinking this, I think we need Hank Patterson’s advice. You know the one where he teaches the girl how to mend the line using the 6 o’clock to 6 o’clock method, we could use that. So for distance casting it’ll be:

Rotate 9o’clock to 3 o’clock as fast as you can, keep your rod arm straight, maximise that kinetic energy. Haul as late as possible , if the rod tip hits the ground that’s perfect. Remember to let go of the line, that’s one of the most important things and a trade secret. Unless you release the line during the haul then you have to start the haul earlier, which is the opposite of what we are talking about. That’s another secret. No masturbation references though, or Paul will have to install age verification software.

Regards

Vince

Paul Arden
Site Admin

Double Haul timing

Post by Paul Arden »

:D :D

To be honest I just think about hitting it as hard and as late as possible :)

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Casting Sport”