PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Platform, or No Platform

John Waters
Answers: 0

Platform, or No Platform

Post by John Waters »

I too would love to see more casters casting Paul. What you are doing in Malaysia is excellent, ditto Mark, Tracy, James and the many others in their respective countries who are passionate about our sport. Exposure is the only way it will grow. In Oz there are a those who promote the sport, but there are also the knockers. It would not be Australia if that was not the case. I think the negative impact of those few is diminishing now, and new initiatives taken by those on this board and by others in the casting world, are both relevant and timely. It just needs exposure now and whilst it has little spectator appeal in my mind, it has huge appeal to the fishing world because of the casting skills it generates, all of which are transferable to fly fishing.

John
John Waters

Platform, or No Platform

Post by John Waters »

Hi Michal,

Australian Casting rules specify a platform.

John
Michal Duzynski

Platform, or No Platform

Post by Michal Duzynski »

Thank you John
Torsten

Platform, or No Platform

Post by Torsten »

Hi John,

I think you're referring to the ACF rules [3], but I think Michal likes to cast according to the international flycasting rules [1]. There is only a "stand" specified; that could be just a marked area on the ground. E.g. in Tallinn the first 4 games were cast from the ground.

We have foldable platforms for the ICSF casting disciplines [2] - but I'd rather like to burn them on a campfire; I think they make on lawn very little sense, cost only efforts building up and transporting them, when it's wet they're getting slippery. Also inconsequent; the plug accuracy events are not cast from a platform, only fly accuracy and fly distance.

Torsten.

--

[1] Competition rules FLYCASTING
http://www.icsf-castingsport.com/images ... y_2017.pdf

[2] International Tournament Rules for Castingsport (ICW)
http://www.icsf-castingsport.com/images ... _final.pdf

[3] Australian Casting Federation By-Laws and Casting Rules
https://www.actflyfishers.org.au/images ... -1-16-.pdf
John Waters

Platform, or No Platform

Post by John Waters »

Thanks Torsten, I have cast on the ICSF platforms many times in Europe and understand the comments about cost and time. As President of the ACF I also understand the rules re. platforms, and the time it takes to transport them and assemble them. I have not seen a notice of motion from any financial member wishing to change the current rules about platforms in Oz casting sport. As the bloke who loads them into his car and drives them to events, I also understand the logistics. The current rules may change, if an ACF financial member wishes to progress a rule amendment. I may wish to make them larger so that I can get my line, walking frame and myself onto the platforms we use. I have no preference either way, if removing platforms is better for the sport, fine by me.

John
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Platform, or No Platform

Post by Paul Arden »

Knockers would love to be there but they're too frightened of losing :D So it's safer to knock. In Australia if you haven't got any knockers then you're not doing it right! In Australia those who can do, those who can't knock.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
John Waters

Platform, or No Platform

Post by John Waters »

Exactly,

John

Return to “Casting Sport”