PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

ST27g heads lenght

Michal Duzynski
Answers: 0

ST27g heads lenght

Post by Michal Duzynski »

Ciao
 If you dont mind- back to the subject.
  This time heads.
I got perfect rod for a job( for my casting style), I got the technique well in place( I think), but I feel like Im sinking in the hole of "trying to fing Holly Grail of a SH"
  Weights of my heads are cool
( between 24.5-27g), shooting line sorted, but adjustment of lenght of the head vs weather conditions gives me headache.
  My SH history
Started with Barrio heads, set of two cut to 2 lenghts 52' and 58' and it was ok( I was not good enough to appreciate them).
  In Australian heat they were a bit soft and lump( I thought), so I start to look deeper.
  I went for Snowbee DT 9wt and end up with 50' head- it is still good, but I thought that maybe something longer will do and I get Snowbee DT 8wt and end up with 52' - not much difference in lengh and my frusttraion began.
  Not long ago I saw Mike Barrio advertising few of his last ST27g heads. I got one, and it is 27grams on the dot, but 42.5' long only.
  When I asked Mike if it is normal to have such a short head, he siad that it worked well for somebody who achived really good results.

Now Im just shuffeling from one head lenght to another and cant cazzo make up mine mind.
  In calm contitions I noticed that 58' head works for me well as I apply 170 style to it. Moderate wind conditions the 58' still works well, but If I have to pick up from water and elevation like in Cumbria I would be in shit.
  Next I started with 42.5' head( leave the 50 and 52' alone). This head in still conditions is crap( in my hands).
  Today I had a bit of tail wind and there was some improvement, butI think I could do better with longer head.
  I think 42.5' head would be great in Cumbria conditions.
   Here I get confused and start thinking about makeing another head- maybe 54' long- but is it neccesary?
  In comps when you go out there- there is wind, or there is not.
  Please let me know what are your favorite ST head lenghts and how you decide what to use in a particular conditions?

Cheers
Mike
crunch

ST27g heads lenght

Post by crunch »

In my still rather limited experience the longest head I can straighten to current wind and casting platform height produce longest casts. In Cumbria strong tail wind I did cast bad because I tried to achieve highest launch trajectory but my back cast line loops git wide and line length short and line did no came straight enough.

I should have cast straight to the wind as long length of line as possible before the delivery.

Esa
crunch

ST27g heads lenght

Post by crunch »

I have that short Barrio 27g head and it reguires very early release not to accelerate the line loop run speed to cast far and I can't release early enough.

I like most a SH which I have made from Snowbee distance WF7F which is light pink. At 27g there come almost two meters less than 1mm to its rear but it is 17,5m. Also I like SA Steelhead taper WF7F made SH and on it there also come thin rear taper section. "The twin 27g Barrio set" which did produce bit longer heads cast how I like but they do not last long if lawn casting.

Esa
Michal Duzynski

ST27g heads lenght

Thanks Esa
Here where I cast the wind is most of the time allover the shop.
The Barrio 58' has still some life in it, so I might do like you said keep practicing with the longest I can handle.
Cheers
Mike
Michal Duzynski

ST27g heads lenght

crunch wrote:
I like most a SH which I have made from Snowbee distance WF7F which is light pink. At 27g there come almost two meters less than 1mm to its rear but it is 17,5m

Esa
Hi Esa
How do you like this head?
This line has 60feet head itself, and you sayin that at 27g cutting from the back its lenght is 17.5m?
James9118

ST27g heads lenght

Post by James9118 »

I'll chuck another variable into the mix - weight! People can get obsessed with having 27g lines, this is a maximum - not a requirement. One of my favourite heads actually weighs 24g.

James
Michal Duzynski

ST27g heads lenght

Hi James
That was me some time ago, now wgen I cut the heads if there is 25.6g I dont really care.
...but what gets my shits is when I open my SH bag, they all nice and sexy in ziplock bags.
Then I look at it and think " do I need 2x52' heads and 1x50'" and come to the conclusion that I wasted $70 for a fly line to be cut.
I dont want to get rid of them, but opening that bag and thinking hhmmm which head today makes thing difficult.
Still waiting for a really strong wind to see if recent purchase of 42.5' head was worth it.

P.s
I try to minimise the crap I,have I think.
I open my ff staff and sine of it, its not even used- and same with SH.

P.s2
I think I experimented enough and might stick to 1 short, 1 long- fuck it
... still want to hear your preferences guys.
Cheers
Mike
crunch

ST27g heads lenght

Post by crunch »

Michal Duzynski wrote:
crunch wrote:
I like most a SH which I have made from Snowbee distance WF7F which is light pink. At 27g there come almost two meters less than 1mm to its rear but it is 17,5m

Esa
Hi Esa
How do you like this head?
This line has 60feet head itself, and you sayin that at 27g cutting from the back its lenght is 17.5m?
Hi Mike!

I did remember its length 1m too long. It was 16,5m when dry just under 27g but it absorbs water fast so for Cumbria I cut it 15,8m 26,5g dry and now its rear has 0,85m section of less than 1mm dia. It is the SH I have cast my best consistency. It has front biased weight profile so is possible to cast like MED using quite long overhang.

I also have few other Barrios which at 26,8g:
Outcast #8 16,6m
GT140 #7 21,4m.
GT140 #8 16,6m
GT125 #9 17,6m
From my original ST27 "twin" came 14,85m and 16,35m heads.
2018 bought ST27 is only 12,2m at 26,7g

Esa
Michal Duzynski

ST27g heads lenght

Thanks Esa
Now, which one is your favorite to cast in what wind conditions?

Mike
Lasse Karlsson

ST27g heads lenght

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Esa, are you sure that 21,4 meter GT140 head isn't made from a #6?
Must measure mine when I get home next week :blush:

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)

Return to “Casting Sport”