PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

ST27g heads lenght

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

ST27g heads lenght

Post by Paul Arden »

I think it’s not just about the longest head you can straighten in the wind. Unfortunately. I think trajectories also plays a part.

I think there is another variable too. Which MED head corresponds to 27g?

Thanks,
Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Lasse Karlsson
Answers: 0

ST27g heads lenght

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Why unfortunately?

And with enough running line, a 5 med gets to 27 grams ;)

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Paul Arden
Site Admin

ST27g heads lenght

Post by Paul Arden »

Yes I know, :p , but what about just the head?

Thanks, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Lasse Karlsson

ST27g heads lenght

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Why unfortunately?

And the 8 gets above 30 grams for the whole head....

Cheers
Lasse

Paul Arden
Site Admin

ST27g heads lenght

Post by Paul Arden »

Unfortunately because I have one of the longest carries. Mikael is longer but also the longest I’ve seen. Anyway I don’t think that the longer head will always out perform a shorter head if you can straighten it on the backcast. I used to believe this but I’ve changed my mind.

There is at least one other factor to consider: trajectory - a shorter head can have a lower backcast trajectory and hence a higher forward trajectory which allows it to continue shooting for longer after the loop has straightened.

Finally I’ll get to do the March Chalenge this weekend and will come up with a suitable April Challenge :D

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Lasse Karlsson

ST27g heads lenght

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

We all have a long carry, yours isn't special, sorry dude :) and a long carry doesn't equal a long cast...

It's cool you changed your mind, and even better that you think a high trajectory will give you a longer cast!
Keep doing that :cool:

Cheers
Lasse

Paul Arden
Site Admin

ST27g heads lenght

Post by Paul Arden »

Mikael is the longest. 100ft of Redfish 9.5WT to the knot. That’s incredible. Next time we can have a carry shootout :) I’m 95’ with MED at sea level. 105’ a kilometre above sea-level.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
sms

ST27g heads lenght

Post by sms »

You can use a heavier than 27g head also. As long as the part above 1mm diameter is at or below 27g. I think for example GT125 #8 is ok to use without cutting for example. About MED I don't know.
I'm here just for the chicks.

-Sakke
crunch

ST27g heads lenght

Post by crunch »

Lasse Karlsson wrote:Esa, are you sure that 21,4 meter GT140 head isn't made from a #6?
Must measure mine when I get home next week :blush:

Cheers
Lasse
I bought it as #7 and received it on #7 box but that one I have not weighted at 30ft. My GT125 WF9F I have weighted and it is ~15,5g/30ft which is exactly #9.

But seeing that GT140 WF7F like this: 27g : 21,4m x 9,1m = 11,5g/30ft as averarage weight so with its front weight biased profile its first 30ft should come close to 7wt standard 185gr/~12g

Esa
crunch

ST27g heads lenght

Post by crunch »

Michal Duzynski wrote:Thanks Esa
Now, which one is your favorite to cast in what wind conditions?

Mike
I have cast most of my competitions the Snowbee 15,8m even no wind hall competitions. One or two times I have competed casting the longer Barrio ST27 16,35m. One spring I was in good condition and I tried 21,4m in Tallinn football hall during the practice and it felt good although there was "ticking" but I did not cast it in competition.

My casting consistency is not good enough that I can say if there comes significant difference when the line head length varies few meters from 16m or when I change the head other way around. I would need to be able to do testing inside because wind has so big influence to my casting. But I can say that when I cast only 24g head I loose about 1,5...2m.

Few years ago I did practice Salmon distance and was testing my 15ft rods casting variety of heads and one evening when there was almost no wind I thought I found a head/rod combination which did increase about one meter more distance. I tried that head with another rod and it did cast about same distance. The head was worn out and dirty but I was satisfied when I knew I had one brand new Vision Ace Spey 12/13 somewhere. Those Vision have very soft coating but they are curly because the core is not centered but I have heard that good distance lines have soft coating which narrows the line loop. Then I noticed its loop and my suspicion woke because it was close but not what I lately have done and when I put it to scale it was 58g and then I remember it had came to me when I bought lots of used Spey lines few years back and got mixed to my other just under 55g heads.

Esa

Return to “Casting Sport”