PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Rear taper on shooting head

sms
Answers: 0

Re: Rear taper on shooting head

Post by sms »

It is not called forgetting when one does leave the info out on purpose. ๐Ÿ˜œ
I'm here just for the chicks.

-Sakke
bartdezwaan

Post by bartdezwaan »

sms wrote: โ†‘Sun Sep 29, 2019 4:04 pm It is not called forgetting when one does leave the info out on purpose. ๐Ÿ˜œ
Nah. James is not that kind of guy.
I am sure he just forgot it :p

Cheers, Bart
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

bartdezwaan wrote: โ†‘Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:16 pm Hi James,

You forgot to mention which combination went furthest :cool:

Cheers, Bart
James is starting to catch on, less than a year to next world championships, so better keep the cards close to the body and only share afterwards like Paul does, only he forgets it afterwards ๐Ÿคฃ

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Lasse Karlsson wrote: โ†‘Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:41 pm Tellis's heads are targeted to be pretty straight forward, very much like a cut DT ๐Ÿ˜‰

More later, must work....

Cheers
Lasse
Ah, much later ๐Ÿ˜Š

170 works, its just a line, but if one goes full blown hitting the ground with a short line, then lots of movement is wasted.
I use 170 technique when fishing, and my fishing heads are shorter than my comp heads (unless its the Danish championships, that one is 30 feet) if I need that kind of line velocity in my backcast for some reason.

40 in no wind is difficult, but not impossible, even with shorter than 18 meter heads (hardly use such long ones, only have one ๐Ÿ˜Š) my go to head is just over 16 meters and I usually stick with it regardless of conditions, have spend hundreds of hours casting different heads against each other in different conditions, and it always ends up being me as the odd factor, none shines all the time.

Never found 50 to be easy, rather like with the 5 weight, 120 feet was difficult until things clicked, then it happens more often, and suddenly you start expectibg it in certain conditions. Same goes for 60 ๐Ÿ˜‰

Back taper, not sure it matters much, in general it is considered just for transition to a runningline, it can help with how much overhang feels ok. Personally I use a head cut from a GT140 so like the compound taper, I fish something similar so are used to the feel. But looking at spey, they rarely have anything remotely resembling a back taper, and those heads go far.

Applying the 5 essentials filter to the cast helps alot, and then releasing early ๐Ÿ˜‰ a free flying head will roll over fine if its cast perfectly, so if its doesn't when attached to a line, something else is up.

Cheers
Lasse

bartdezwaan

Post by bartdezwaan »

Thanks for the input Lasse.
I have two questions:
* How far are you casting those 30ft heads in the Danish championships?
* How comes a free flying head turns over? I thought the loop is a consequence of the tension of the bottom leg.
I know this topic is handled somewhere, but I canโ€™t remember.

Cheers, Bart
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Hi Bart

In practice I've passed 52, in competition I have the record at 48,3 meters, and I've passed 40 in very little wind, its an intermediate head though ๐Ÿ˜‰

My take is that as soon as the turning is started, there is enough tension to keep it going.

Cheers
Lasse

bartdezwaan

Post by bartdezwaan »

Thanks Lasse.
Some long casts. I did not expect that with 30ft heads.
You have to shoot a whole lot of running line. Impressive.

Cheers, Bart
James9118

Post by James9118 »

bartdezwaan wrote: โ†‘Sun Sep 29, 2019 5:07 pm
Nah. James is not that kind of guy.
I am sure he just forgot it :p

Cheers, Bart
:blush: Rod was the 10ft Atom Six DM and the line was a 60ft head that Mikael Blomberg welded together for Tracy. The thing is that this outfit was the best, for me, in yesterday's conditions. That could all change tomorrow. The interesting thing was that before casting I'd have guessed that my 9ft rod with a shorter head would have gone the furthest in the prevailing conditions. Shows what I know! :D

James
Stefano De Martini

Post by Stefano De Martini »

For some time I have noticed that my best results in STD are coming with a 9' whose ERN is around #15. :D
It is not a bluewater fly rod but a spinning rod assembled specifically for flycasting. It took me 4 months of gym with specific exercises to handle it. :yeahhh:
Yesterday I was doing a bit of practice with a good tailing wind and a SH made from a fly line of around 15m in length with a similar profile to the MED but much more compact, but I was not completely satisfied with the result. I added to the rear, about 6m of a line level 0.90mm that should not enter the weight of the 27g and magically obtained 2 results:
1 - Greater comfort with the left hand during double hauling - the 0.35mm RL often leaves its mark on the fingers -
2 - Let's go back to the initial argument of the rear, the loop was definitely more stable and I reached (ok on the beach the south wind was considerable) the 53m. Can it be a case?
James9118

Post by James9118 »

Hi Stefano,

Interesting. What knot did you use to join the 0.90mm line to the thinner running line? Did you have any issues with this catching in the rod rings?

Has anyone tried welding nylon to nylon - I guess this is really tough?

Cheers, James.

Return to โ€œCasting Sportโ€