PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Rear taper on shooting head

Stefano De Martini
Answers: 0

Re: Rear taper on shooting head

Post by Stefano De Martini »

Hi James,
SH to thinner level line 0.90
20190930_131703.jpg
Level line to RL 0.40
20190930_131638.jpg
Hope this helps
James9118

Post by James9118 »

Thanks Stefano! I hadn't considered using level (thin) fly line as the hauling line/tail - I'll give it a go. I've got plenty of old MEDs and Barrios #5s that I can use the running line from. How long does your .90mm hauling line last?

Cheers, James.
Stefano De Martini

No problem James. I can't say how long the level line will last because I adopted this "trick" only yesterday.
I suspect it will last for not so long. In this case it would not a problem ... like you I have thousands of meters of lines running from MED and other cheaper lines...
John Waters

Post by John Waters »

An interesting topic Gents. I am experimenting with backtapers but have not seen a benefit against the lie detector.

John
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

John Waters wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:43 pm An interesting topic Gents. I am experimenting with backtapers but have not seen a benefit against the lie detector.

John
Me either 😎

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Stefano De Martini

:D that's why it's called flycasting and not math...
John Waters

Post by John Waters »

It is interesting Stefano, some US casters used backtapers on their tournament distance lines when we spliced different sections of lines to make what was then a fly distance line for the single handed event, weighing 1.5 ounces, 42 grams in the new vernacular. The belief was that the backtaper assisted in the formation of the loop. I think the forward taper is much more important, but I will retest my assumptions over this summer. They (my assumptions) have been incorrect on too many previous occasions for me to view the question differently.

John
Stefano De Martini

John i think in this is the beauty after all...
Even more generally it is the beauty of fishing. There are dogmas that are not so rigid, there are technical considerations that seem obvious and that are disproved soon after. All this happens when there is the human component in the middle. The more the variables increase, the less the model becomes realistic. In the STD the variables that come into play are really many. Just to name a few:
Length of the rod, length, shape and diameters of the SH, diameter of the RL, softness or rigidity of the material of the SH and the RL ... and so on and so forth. All without considering, in fact, the human variable. In my opinion everyone can take inspiration from the observations, suggestions and conclusions to which others have arrived, but must make his own conviction and always be ready to discuss it, always trying to improve.

Cheers
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

For general amusement, a friend sparked my lust for throwing against the tape with a shootinghead again, rusty, but I foresee a fun winter in the playing field, lots to work on :D

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
John Waters

Post by John Waters »

I agree Stefano, that’s why I like tournament casting. There is always an aspect of technique or gear to learn about or experiment with in order to gain an extra point or metre.

Nice cast Lasse, great percentage of line and leader turnover.

John

Return to “Casting Sport”