PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Rear taper on shooting head

Michal Duzynski
Answers: 0

Re: Rear taper on shooting head

Post by Michal Duzynski »

Ciao Steffano- nice to see you here mate.
 P.s
Complimenti per la ultima gara di lancio...
  Bart, I hope you dont mind going of topic here(...but it is Sexyloops)
  There was a lot here about ST distance( myself starting 3 or 4 topics), again about Holly Grail...
  Now, as I found that without proper technique - even a magic shooting head won't help.
   8 years ago I spoke to Steve Rajjef in Fiera di Vicenza Italy about SH for ST.
   I bought Rio Steelhead 9wt line, cut some front taper off, added 9feet of 3wt DT Barrio line, and then cut it from the back of the steelhead to 27g- it was ok, but nothing special.
   After some experiments Im back to Barrio short and long head.
    Now, casting- I play around with everything, stepping as Bernt Johanson, 170, right foot forward, AND this is best result with short head the casting technique they using in casting T38( check video of old Germans in 170stopless thread here- last post).
   With short head and this technique I have the  sharpest front loops and decent distance 48-49m with tail wind CANT FUCKING BREAKE THE BARRIER OF 50M.....CAZZO

....and today I put Barrio 17.50m head, wind speed on avarage 1.2m/s ( I have wind meter).
   I tried all sorts if styles, but the best and most effective was 170 style- exactly the same as I use for TD. Results 2x 46m, 5x 44m, 20x 40m
P.s 1
  Whatever you do you should read Berlin's comments- TENSION IS THE KEY
P.s 2
  Answer for Lasses question- too long overhang, or not enough control/tension in the overhang- casts piles up. My first BC is with the knot coming into the guides, and then I slip an inch, or whatever is needed, BUT i need to have a tension in the line

P.s 3
  I watch 2018 WC seatrout on youtube.
  WChampion  Ranel awwsome cast , but I dont see anything special about his style. I reckon he hit the right spot and got it. At the same video look at the Sakkari delivery cast- it looks like shit( no offence Sake), and he was in first 6.

Bottom line for me
Short head- I will use the way that guys with T38 use and it must be windy like hell
Long head  - 170 for me even with moderate tail wind- it is what works for me

Hitting the sweet spot of overhang requires more hours in the park.
  Ciao ciao
Mike
Stefano De Martini

Post by Stefano De Martini »

John, i own a Tellis's one. It's about 15 m. I'm not pretty sure about its profile. Once at home i'll make some measurement .
Cheers
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

I thought Tellis’ heads were cut back DTs or maybe they have changed? To the original question I don’t know and would like to experiment. Certainly I don’t think it would hurt and could only improve smoothness, but I would have to think deeper about that and play with some different tapers.

What are you finding, Bart?

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Tellis's heads are targeted to be pretty straight forward, very much like a cut DT 😉

More later, must work....

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
bartdezwaan

Post by bartdezwaan »

@all thanks for the input

I am having better results with a Barrio GT125 #8 cut back to 18.5m then everything else.
Last weekend someone had a GT125 #7 which was over 20m and the results suprised me. It felt more like casting the MED than a clunky shooting head. For the first time, with little wind, things turned over :blush:
With little or no wind I can't see myself cast a shooting head shorter than 18m over 40m. It just lands in a big freaking pile.

Cheers, Bart
Stefano De Martini

Post by Stefano De Martini »

Bart, I subscribe everything you wrote.
bartdezwaan

Post by bartdezwaan »

Indeed Stefano. I have exactly the same experience as you.
Great when things come together :p

Cheers, Bart
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Great 😎
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
James9118

Post by James9118 »

I don't think there's ever going to be a 'one size fits all' answer to the ST27. I certainly wouldn't want to be limited to just 1 head, the trouble is I find it very hard to select which one to use. Only yesterday I was practicing and did some timed sessions with different rods/lines. The combination that went furthest was a complete surprise to me and one that I certainly wouldn't have considered given the conditions. Unfortunately on BFCC competition days I don't get the practice time to sort this out, so I might just do a random pick from now on :-)

James
bartdezwaan

Post by bartdezwaan »

Hi James,

You forgot to mention which combination went furthest :cool:

Cheers, Bart

Return to “Casting Sport”