PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

What do you think?

nicholasfmoore
Answers: 0

What do you think?

Post by nicholasfmoore »

Hi all,

I really wish i had the tape down for this cast. I struggle tremendously with my back cast into the wind, it's not the most powerful. But it has gotten better thanks to James' exercises :sorcerer: I've marked the #5 Ballistic pro performance at 50,60,70 and 80 feet, so i know roughly how much i'm carrying. Would appreciate any tips on improvements if you have the time. (i know Paul is going to mention looking at targets) ;)

Carrying around 75' with a strong tail wind, i wouldn't have been able to do that before, so thanks to everyone for the help!

All the best
Nick M

"Memento Piscantur Saepe" :upside:
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Re: What do you think?

Post by Paul Arden »

Well... targets :p It looks really good - personally I would prefer a closer view since it’s impossible to see the line anyway!

Couple of small things to try. On the back haul your Hauling hand curves - I would just go straight out like how I imagine a karate chop. And on the launch itself I find it helps to come on to a bent forward leg and then imagine you are launching upwards, late and from underneath the rod. I feel like I’m pushing the rod up through the thumb by straightening (launching from) the leg.

Another thing to play with, but it’s a big change and so I wouldn’t do it quite yet, is to fully straighten your rod arm on the backcast. But I would recommend working on those other two things first.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
nicholasfmoore

Post by nicholasfmoore »

Hi Paul,

Thank you! Yes, absolutely :D actually from that video it's impossible to tell but i'm casting with finger on top :)

It is a bit far isn't it, it's not what i envisioned at all, the weather next week looks great so i'll take my tape to see if I've made any improvements over my PB. The back haul is weird, it certainly didn't feel like a J path when i was doing it, i'll need to work hard on that and do as you suggest. Do you recommend grip shifting too? Currently i'm using finger on top which seems to work very well for me. :)

I'll try that as well, maybe my delivery is still a bit too low? I've tried forcefully stepping into a closed stance on the delivery, bonus is my tracking stays straight. I'll work on those two things and get back on here with another closer video. :)

Thank's mate!

All the best
Nick M

"Memento Piscantur Saepe" :upside:
John Waters

Post by John Waters »

Hi Nick,

The two most important considerations of any grip are how it facilitates power transmission and the amount of wrist movement it allows. There are other considerations like injury risk and difficulty but if you consider the two primary issues, ditch the finger on top grip if you want to achieve longer casts. I also think it is more conducive to injuries than other grips, but it does not cut it when you want distance through power transmission and both wrist flexibility and total movement.

Nice casting,

John
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

For sure, finger on top grip is not one I would use for distance. It lacks power and unless you are double jointed you can’t drag for as long.

What is “good weather”? :) For me it’s a gentle breeze to mix up the air. I don’t count my casts when in a strong wind and don’t bother measuring in a hurricane :D

Many of these casts we have seen recently are unrealistic. Even a tiny bit of wind makes a 10’ difference. That’s why I like the SL Shootouts where you get 8 bites at the cherry.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Paul Arden wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:07 am
What is “good weather”? :) For me it’s a gentle breeze to mix up the air. I don’t count my casts when in a strong wind and don’t bother measuring in a hurricane :D

Cheers, Paul
You should, lots to learn ;)
Also, getting a windmeter is quite good, gets you away from gentle breeze/strong wind and hurricanes, those are a bit like saying one casts 40 yards because one saw the backing once in a blue moon :whistle:

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

I think I've been in the finals of the 5WT twice now with longest casts of less than 120. Once certainly - first Norway was around 115'. Estonia was about 120 I think. If I want a long cast I'll stand on a cliff with the wind behind me at an altitude of over 2000 metres. For me the whole thing is pointless unless everyone gets a fair shot at the same conditions. I was reading up on ski jumping; if you are very light they subtract distance, if it's windy they shorten or lengthen the ramp height. Is it about skill or is it about luck? If it's luck then we should be playing the lottery because the prizes are bigger and we don't end up smelling of fish.

I'm not a hero :D

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Paul Arden wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:15 am If I want a long cast I'll stand on a cliff with the wind behind me at an altitude of over 2000 metres.

I'm not a hero :D

Cheers, Paul
You would only get a long cast if we measure vertically..... and you slipped line :D

While I agree, that we should all be casting indoors to have as fair as possible a competition (and standing knee deep in water at the same time), and that it would be great if we had enough data to actually give out handicaps in competition (and being ugly doens't count for you!) I fear it's quite a bit down the line to do that, and would probably require funding on a scale we haven't seen forever in our sport. So either we continue down the path we are on, or we just cancel the whole deal, because it's getting damn old with all the excuses, and that definetly doesn't help in getting more people in to competition...

Yes wind can add 10 feet, and it can take away 20 as easily....

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

One way of doing it would be fewer numbers and more casts, or a knock-out scheme to get to the finals. Some people travel all around the world for 3 minutes of casting. Quite a few people don't travel for that reason. The Olympics is limited to three persons per county per event and target 64-72 people. That might give the option for 2x2 mins instead of 1x3 mins.

Just different options to consider.

Another option of course is to stick three of the events over grass, which would lead to more lanes and easier more accurate measuring. Speys and Accuracy still need water.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
James9118

Post by James9118 »

Paul Arden wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:51 am
Another option of course is to stick three of the events over grass, which would lead to more lanes and easier more accurate measuring. Speys and Accuracy still need water.

Cheers, Paul
You've been dead against casting over grass in the past :D . But I tend to agree, a competition with a 'heats' qualification could be interesting to try. I suspect it could be quite quick also e.g. 8 casters in each heat, winner and runner up goes through etc. until you get to a final. You do need to have 8 markers (or however lanes you have) mind you.

James

Return to “Casting Sport”