PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

What do you think?

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Re: What do you think?

Post by Paul Arden »

You've been dead against casting over grass in the past :D
I've changed my mind :p Measuring to 1/2m on pontoon boats I don't think is as accurate as it could be. For that reason alone I've changed my mind, but also it does really open up the options. Just measure the two longest casts - mark them, measure them, score them, next heat. Heats of 8, first two through, final of 8. Needs more helpers for the judges but it could be done.

I don't think it should be done next year, but I think it should be discussed! We could test it at the SL Birthday Bash, assuming we get 40 or so coming which should be possible.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Lasse Karlsson
Answers: 0

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

It's 4 minutes 😉 5 in slamon, 6 in spey....

And fwiw I have been a strong proponent for putting us all in water and measuring over land, 1/2 meter doesnt cut it at all....

Biggest problem is getting helpers/judges.. a format that doesn't require more would be preferable, wouldn’t it?

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
nicholasfmoore

Post by nicholasfmoore »

John Waters wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 6:48 am Hi Nick,

The two most important considerations of any grip are how it facilitates power transmission and the amount of wrist movement it allows. There are other considerations like injury risk and difficulty but if you consider the two primary issues, ditch the finger on top grip if you want to achieve longer casts. I also think it is more conducive to injuries than other grips, but it does not cut it when you want distance through power transmission and both wrist flexibility and total movement.

Nice casting,

John
Hi John, thanks! I do see what you mean in regards to injury, however, my fingers are as strong as my thumb (from being a pianist) and i've actually broken a string in concert :laugh: I've just tried it in slow motion and it is very difficult to delay rotation unless i somehow take up drift with body movement, what grip would you suggest, a V grip? :)
What is “good weather”? :) For me it’s a gentle breeze to mix up the air. I don’t count my casts when in a strong wind and don’t bother measuring in a hurricane :D
Exactly that, Paul it's a consistent breeze that makes the measurements more realistic :) the day i was casting was horrendous and quite uncomfortable, even to stand up. There aren't any 'still days' next week, but this is what i go on for measurements to see where i am, next best thing i guess would be in an enclosed space.
those are a bit like saying one casts 40 yards because one saw the backing once in a blue moon :whistle:

😂
I was reading up on ski jumping; if you are very light they subtract distance, if it's windy they shorten or lengthen the ramp height. Is it about skill or is it about luck? If it's luck then we should be playing the lottery because the prizes are bigger and we don't end up smelling of fish.
You learn something new every day :p It's interesting that the casts are outdoors (i've never competed at that level so this is my opinion of course), and i'm sure there is an element of luck involved. For example, it could be still for half an hour, and then suddenly some gusty winds appear, and that person in those winds would have a huge advantage over the other casters that were competing in flat calm conditions, and that's luck to me. if you want a fair environment, akin to laboratory conditions, then indoors would probably be the best option. I'm sure accuracy could be done indoors with a swimming pool?
The Olympics is limited to three persons per county per event and target 64-72 people.
Have you tried getting casting into the Olympics?
We could test it at the SL Birthday Bash, assuming we get 40 or so coming which should be possible.

All the best
When is that? :)
Nick M

"Memento Piscantur Saepe" :upside:
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Have you tried getting casting into the Olympics?
It's always been the plan for ICSF to get casting sport into the Olympics. I'm all for it of course. Just imagine the opening sequence where we run out wearing waders. Problem is most would fail the rigorous drug testing. But fuck it - Horse Dressage?
Biggest problem is getting helpers/judges
Putting a mark on the ground where the fly lands is not that difficult and a child can do it. When we do Ironman the helpers are school kids 14-16 year olds who hand out drinks and snacks. In fact they would be better at the marking since some of us and not exactly elephant nimble. 8 lanes, two measurers per lane = 16 kids. Feed them, donate some money to the School, thank them kindly.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
John Waters

Post by John Waters »

Hi Nick,

I use the index finger knuckle on top for distance, thumb on top for accuracy.

As for casting in Olympics, forget it. As I have stated here before, our sport has no general spectator appeal, so that will always keep it at the niche level of public interest. In fact, it was only at last December’s ICSF General Assembly, it was decided not to continue the expensive practice of World Games affiliation.

Conditions will always play a part in results, unless we go indoors. One thing I would like to change is the distance event scoring. Add the two or even three longest casts together and the winner is the caster will the largest total. Yep, all for casting on grass as the other events do and measure casts accurately.

John
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Luck plays a big part, but looking at the finalists over the last 10 years, several names go again in the top 10, and even in the finals, so all out of wack they havent been, some of us have just drawn the bad luck more than once... and yeah I would love to travel to Estonia and compete indoors, or somewhere similar, the one time we had the Danish championships indoors where great, but I won so I should say that :p
Incidently, in our championships, its three events combined (two for the twohander) distance with a full line, dustance with a shooti ghead and then the accuracy lane, which has 7 different stations with three casts at each. 6,12 and 18 straight, straight and narrow (line has to land within a corridor, touching the sides means disq) and slack where it has to touch both sides, curve aroubd and obstacle and limbo which is under an obstacle. Two longest cast count in distance and its the total score that goes towards the win. Makes a more interesting day out of it than show up, get 4 minutes in dead calm and two hours later the casters have 8 m/s backwind :whistle:

Paul, yes, that wouldn’t be a problem, until the kids have been out there for 2 hours and get bored, mine do that after half an hour.... I'm all for trying ut anyway, even the format where competitors do the stick in the ground would be fine by me!

Cheers
Lasse

Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Well the Ironman is a lot longer than 2 hrs. Actually the kids at these things are great and it wouldn’t be possible without them. I always clap and thank them on my last running lap. They really get into the whole spirit of the day.

Flycasting Definitions
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

One could argue that there happens a bit more at an ironman compared to a casting competition with mostly introverts and 0 spectators... :-D
I'm all for it though!

Cheers
Lasse

Dung Fly

Post by Dung Fly »

Casting (fly, Castingsport or Surf) have no place in the olympics, it’s not dynamic enough with minimal spectator appeal - unless you are part of it.
The main ICSF competing countries are all well setup for 8 lanes of casting, 8 Distos on tripods and sight boards for accurate measuring, Different coloured wide banding tapeS for court lines, platforms, targets etc. Some even have score boards to show the leading score for the lane.
It’s not cheap to get this all together.
Then you need the court builders to set it all out and move it around.
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Yes I think it needs money/sponsorship. It's going to take a few years but I plan for Sexyloops to help funding in the future.

The nice thing about knock-out heats is that the conditions are more or less the same for those in the heat. I know there can be some differences between lanes but these are not as great as the differences between weather conditions. It would also me more interesting to watch.

You know I think it would be FAR more interesting to watch if there was someone talking about the events and the competitors over a microphone, urging the competitors on and calling out the scores. "This is Lee Cummings, who eats 500 egg whites every day, can bend iron bars with his mind, WOW 165 feet... and now he's TANGLED!! 23 seconds left on the clock, can he get another one away in time? Ladies and gentlemen it's all happening here today! LOOK Lasse has fallen off the stand and is now swimming around looking for his rod!!" etc..

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Casting Sport”