PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

PUALD Challenge

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Re: PUALD Challenge

Post by Paul Arden »

Ah :) . “Ben’s Animal” was a 10WT (CTS I believe). Pretty comprehensive, for me anyway.
5832465A-EC21-40C6-9CD5-4145BB19C8F4.jpeg
5832465A-EC21-40C6-9CD5-4145BB19C8F4.jpeg (52.56 KiB) Viewed 2821 times
I’m sure you can do the maths. Between the HT6 and two 10WTs the differences were:

James - 1.8, 2.7 (av. 2.25)
Ben - 0.8, 3.6 (av. 2.2)
Paul - 1.5, 2.5 (av. 2)
Lee - 1.5, 2.5 (av. 2)

That’s an average of 2m or slightly more for everyone.

Cheers, Paul

PS I know that you think it’s the combination you are most used to, but that’s the first time I had thrown the other three combinations and had had 5 years practise with the HT6/MED5 with two WC finals. Ben had a bad round with the TCX10 but everyone else progressively threw further as rod stiffness increased.
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Lasse Karlsson
Answers: 0

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Only on your longest shot, and you probably had a hurricane backwind with the ten and not the five 😉

You keep missing the point, I want more data, not just lucky warmed up, testosteron prone winning shots. As you say, Ben had a bad round, maybe the rest of you just got lucky?

I am not arguing that stiffer doesnt raise distance, my own numbers prove that, less counterflex, and more lever is a no brainer! But none of you guys rock up to a competution and break out a never cast, much stiffer rod for the winning shot, are you? Off course you aren't....Then again, thats the argument you keep throwing at me 😉

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

If that’s the argument I’m throwing at you then I don’t understand it. What does it mean?

Personally I think Shootouts have always been the best way of examining technique and tackle. I’ve been using them to this end for close to 20 years now. Competition is about the longest cast (or sometimes second longest cast). That’s all that matters, not the other casts. You have 2 or 3 minutes to hook up your longest. That’s the game. So the closer you can make conditions to the competition the better. Everyone there was trying to win every round. And to do that with three really competitive casters, running two lanes and mixing up the order of rods, for me was proof enough. We actually didn’t know what we were going to find when we ran that competition and back then for us it was an eye-opener.

Since then I’ve used a 10WT for distance of course. I do have an HT12 as well that I’ve used in the odd Shootout. I haven’t really formed an opinion over that. However since I’ve sold so many HT10/Comp5V2s, I don’t think suddenly turning up with a 12WT would go down well :D Consequently I’m quite happy to stay with the 10. I would have been happy to stay with the 6 but I felt that I was putting myself at a disadvantage. Best for me would be everyone using the same tackle but that’s not going to happen outside of Shootouts or certain other competitions. Certainly not in the WCs as far as I can see.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

And testosterone is awesome by the way! That’s why we have pirate beards. :cool:

Flycasting Definitions
Michal Duzynski

Post by Michal Duzynski »

Ciao
Bernt mentioned before that his Orvis Helios3 is quite bendy and he throws 47( in virtual comp) and 45 with PUALD, in UK he had 9wt, so is the stiffer better, or the stepping back and forward does the trick, or is the magic somewhere deeper?
I practice those steps now, and it defenetly improved straight landing, but some more work to be done there.
cheers
Mike
sms

Post by sms »

Paul Arden wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 3:05 am The Swedes and Finns are using stiffer rods. Norwegians too. We were playing catch-up.
Well, that is not really so. I for example have always used (Dan Craft’s) Five Rivers FT 905-4, so a 9’ for 5 line. We did find a great 9’ for 9 line, but I would say it is not much stiffer than my FT.
I'm here just for the chicks.

-Sakke
John Waters

Post by John Waters »

"The magic is somewhere deeper"

John
Michal Duzynski

Post by Michal Duzynski »

I'll better start digging.

mike
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Did your team ever run a similar experiment, Sakke? I know you were using stiffer rods early on.

It was obviously a long time ago and nowadays I find the HT6 far too soft for serious 5WT distance. For me that rod is bang on a fishing 6 and a funky 5WT.

Right. Must go fishing.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

John Waters wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:28 pm "The magic is somewhere deeper"

John
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)

Return to “Casting Sport”