PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Current distance stroke

nicholasfmoore
Answers: 0

Current distance stroke

Post by nicholasfmoore »

Hi all,

I was just wondering what you think of my current stroke? The stepping works quite well for me, and I'm throwing 118' consistently with the MED5 in still conditions. This was taken on a day with zero wind. It's not against the tape this time, but it was an impromptu video :cool: so the camera angle is not perfect. I'm struggling with a bit of sag on the BC at my max carry, and the dangling end, which is a real pain. Let me know your thoughts?

All the best!

Nick M

"Memento Piscantur Saepe" :upside:
bartdezwaan

Re: Current distance stroke

Post by bartdezwaan »

Hi Nick,
118ft in still conditions is world class.
I am not een expert in the stepping style. When I try it I lack power in my final delivery. To me your final delivery does not look as powerful too, compared to your other style.
If I compare it to Bernt’s casting, he seems to rotate a bit later in the backcast.
Just my 2 cents.
Overall great casting ofcourse. As your distance shows.

Cheers, Bart
Zhongxiang

Post by Zhongxiang »

Hi Nick,
One thing I've learned from Bart and Bernt is the reposition after BC. I remember once at a BFCC meeting where Bart was holding my hand trying to teach me late rotation on the FC(I rotated too early back then). I didn't quite get it at the time but later when I added reposition and started my stroke from there late rotation on the FC became natural. And when I do it right, I can tell just from how it sounds(only line noise not the rod). Have you tried to film from front view? the reposition also helps with tracking.

In my experience, Higher line speed on the BC helps reduce sag. I noticed your power comes from elbow rotation whereas for example Paul who has a very high line speed on BC his power comes from wrist. Start the BC translation with butt tucked under a nearly horizontal forearm and keep leading with elbow until just before it moves inwards then start to rotate elbow but keep butt tucked. Only open the wrist to put power in when it reaches your trajectory. This is what I do anyway, it gives me line speed. :p

And a more explosive haul could be beneficial.

All in all it looks very nice to me, looking forward to competing with you :pirate:

Cheers TC
Dirk le Roux

Post by Dirk le Roux »

Hi Nick

Very nice casting!

Here are from a graphic analysis of a champ stepper, a few differences with yours.

Footwork - On the forward cast, the main rod rotation only starts just after the right foot plants.

Trunk/pillar - Less leaning backwards along the casting plane on the back-cast (there is backward tilt but away from the casting plane, to make room for in-plane rotation). More downward motion during the rod rotation on the back-cast. More upward motion during the latter part of the forward cast rotation, coinciding with weight shift and the right leg straightening.

Hand path - More downward motion during rotation on the back-cast.

All the best,
Dirk
Dirk le Roux

Post by Dirk le Roux »

Zhongxiang wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:20 am And when I do it right, I can tell just from how it sounds(only line noise not the rod).
I like that, TC!

I wonder if John saw it.
Merlin

Post by Merlin »

I guess John will be interested by those stepping examples. In Benrd's case, the lowering of the elbow during the BC might explain a necessary tilt atound the trunk axis to compensate for a tracking problem: a low elbow makes the rod rotate around the body. In his forward cast his elbow is at shoulder level which is a key feature for casting javelin straight. Bernd's style is pretty "explosive".
Did you noticed that the line lands across the scale (plane issue?)?

His rod looks pretty stiff. I do not know the weight of the carry for the MED , but it should be equivalent to the weight of 30 feet of #10 or 11 line. This explains the propensity for using a high line number rod, up to the point when the MOI of that rod reduces the performance of the caster (too big a torque). That is linked to the caster's physical capability, and the stronger the caster is, the larger his advantage on the paper is.

Merlin
Fly rods are like women, they won't play if they're maltreated
Charles Ritz, A Flyfisher's Life
James9118

Post by James9118 »

Zhongxiang wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:20 am I remember once at a BFCC meeting where Bart was holding my hand

Cheers TC
What happens at the BFCC should stay at the BFCC :blush: . It's a macho club for macho casters :D :D :D
bartdezwaan

Post by bartdezwaan »

James9118 wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 3:58 pm
Zhongxiang wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:20 am I remember once at a BFCC meeting where Bart was holding my hand

Cheers TC
What happens at the BFCC should stay at the BFCC :blush: . It's a macho club for macho casters :D :D :D
:D :D
Zhongxiang

Post by Zhongxiang »

bartdezwaan wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 4:10 pm
James9118 wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 3:58 pm

Cheers TC
:D :D
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Looking forward to next year's macho club :pirate:
nicholasfmoore

Post by nicholasfmoore »

bartdezwaan wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 8:36 pm Hi Nick,
118ft in still conditions is world class.
I am not een expert in the stepping style. When I try it I lack power in my final delivery. To me your final delivery does not look as powerful too, compared to your other style.
If I compare it to Bernt’s casting, he seems to rotate a bit later in the backcast.
Just my 2 cents.
Overall great casting ofcourse. As your distance shows.

Cheers, Bart
Thanks, Bart! :D Yes i noticed the lack of power too, i wonder why that is? Your 2 cents worth is greatly appreciated!
Zhongxiang wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:20 am Hi Nick,
One thing I've learned from Bart and Bernt is the reposition after BC. I remember once at a BFCC meeting where Bart was holding my hand trying to teach me late rotation on the FC(I rotated too early back then). I didn't quite get it at the time but later when I added reposition and started my stroke from there late rotation on the FC became natural. And when I do it right, I can tell just from how it sounds(only line noise not the rod). Have you tried to film from front view? the reposition also helps with tracking.

In my experience, Higher line speed on the BC helps reduce sag. I noticed your power comes from elbow rotation whereas for example Paul who has a very high line speed on BC his power comes from wrist. Start the BC translation with butt tucked under a nearly horizontal forearm and keep leading with elbow until just before it moves inwards then start to rotate elbow but keep butt tucked. Only open the wrist to put power in when it reaches your trajectory. This is what I do anyway, it gives me line speed. :p

And a more explosive haul could be beneficial.

All in all it looks very nice to me, looking forward to competing with you :pirate:

Cheers TC
Thanks man, that's great stuff. I think i'm stepping to try and compensate for me rotating too soon, i probably just need to relax my grip a bit more rather than holding on for dear life. Yes i know what you mean by the sound, i hit it really well once on video, and it was satisfying short 'swish' at the end of the stroke :cool:

Been struggling with the back cast for a long time, i will give that a go when i'm out tomorrow, so thanks for that! I'll try and crack the wrist much later. Looks like it's back to single handed carry for me to get this stuff right and i think i'll work on the haul after. I'm still not 'happy' with the back cast even though it looks ok. That's very kind, yes, likewise!
Dirk le Roux wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:09 am Hi Nick

Very nice casting!

Here are from a graphic analysis of a champ stepper, a few differences with yours.

Footwork - On the forward cast, the main rod rotation only starts just after the right foot plants.

Trunk/pillar - Less leaning backwards along the casting plane on the back-cast (there is backward tilt but away from the casting plane, to make room for in-plane rotation). More downward motion during the rod rotation on the back-cast. More upward motion during the latter part of the forward cast rotation, coinciding with weight shift and the right leg straightening.

Hand path - More downward motion during rotation on the back-cast.

All the best,
Dirk
Cheers man :cool: I'll print this out and give it a go tomorrow, thank you for your advice all!

All the best
Nick M

"Memento Piscantur Saepe" :upside:

Return to “Casting Sport”