PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

WC 2021???

Michal Duzynski
Answers: 0

WC 2021???

Post by Michal Duzynski »

Hi guys
Anybody knows anything, almost Feb already?
It doesn't look like people can travel in and out Australia, and it might be like this for a bit longer.
In case the WC 2021goes on I wont make it..
(Just sayin)
Cheers
Mike
Lasse Karlsson

Re: WC 2021???

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

If anybody has that kind of magic fortune telling abilities, we should just ask for who will win the WC21 and spare us all the headaches mate 🙂

Right now, I can't go to Sweden, and I'm literally 15 minutes drive away.
I do hope I can later this year, but current restrictions aren't looking to be lifted for at least another month, so I guess it will be march before anyone has a serious guess, and thats with the current knowledge.
All this sucks biggie!

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Difficult. I’ve just heard today that the Desaru 1/2 Ironman at the end of April has been postponed, again. Currently I don’t think it’s possible for me to travel back into Malaysia although I could (possibly) travel out with 2 weeks quarantine. I think it really depends on how fast a vaccine rollout occurs, a “vaccine passport” and a clear test. I would be amazed if this year is very different to last year.

A lot can change in 7 months. I’m curious to see if the Olympics goes ahead.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
John Waters

Post by John Waters »

Nothing affirmed yet from ICSF but hope we can hold all three 2021 WCs. I agree, it is not promising given the spread of new strains, but you never know what a post Covid vaccine world 2021 will be. Good point Paul about the Olympics, that will be a indicator for us but things will need to change quickly for nations to allow competitors to travel.

I am still optimistic but that's me just wanting it to happen. If 2021 does not happen, rock on 2022.

John
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Haven't they already announced that the olympics are going ahead? Probably without spectators on site though...
Right now the world championships in handball are taking place in Dubai...

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Michal Duzynski

Post by Michal Duzynski »

I red this morning that Olympic organizers have no Plan B, so they go ahead.
John Waters

Post by John Waters »

I too read that the Olympics will go ahead, but Lasse may be correct, no spectators, restricted spectator numbers etc. For us it will be purely based upon travel options for competitors and that is very much a mixed back for 2021. Australia will have competitors at all three WCs if allowed to travel by our Government but at the moment, that will not be allowed. If allowed to travel, what will be the requirements to isolate on return, what will be the travel insurance implications of risk and cost etc etc etc? I am sure Australian athletes will compete in the Tokyo Olympics if they go ahead, but Australian casters do not have the support structures for the above issues that Australian Olympians have. The vaccine may circumvent any issues with isolation, insurance and other, but that is still to be ascertained.

We may have WCs in 2021 but international travel restrictions may mean a number of nations may not be able to attend. If so the issue of host nation cost recovery becomes a major factor.

John
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

To put what John writes in perspective we still have no vaccine roll out yet. Unfortunately one of the houseboat operators on the lake got COVID last week. Malaysia is struggling to control the virus now. Great to see Australia has it under control, John!! :) 👍

Flycasting Definitions
John Waters

Post by John Waters »

Only until the next breakout Paul.

John
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

The current wave was caused by some elections 6 months ago and they’ve been gradually losing grip of it ever since.

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Casting Sport”