PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

BFCC Rules

Lasse Karlsson
Answers: 0

BFCC Rules

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Ben_d wrote:
Lasse Karlsson wrote:Hi Ben

A few thoughts:

What is a WF line? Ie. would the barrio GT90 be allowed?
What is a WF line? It's a shooting head without a join mate :yeahhh:

Seriously, it would have a level RL at the back for at least some of the length but, and I know it is totally contradictory, I would class the GT90 as a WF line due to the largest diameter section being near to the front despite it having no level RL to the rear. On that basis I would have to say yes, it is allowed. I throw the GT125 further with more consistency than I throw the GT90 against the tape.
For our winter league in particular, I didn't want to put off anyone who is not a caster from entering by locking down lines. A lot of guys fish and will probably cast with Barrio Mallard WF's or Rio Gold WF's etc.

Cheers

Ben
So the DT that vision makes would be a wf too? It has two different halves, and one is heavier than the other....

And no I'm rarely good enough to get the whole aircell outside, but knot in hand still goes further :)

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
James9118

BFCC Rules

Post by James9118 »

Paul Arden wrote:If someone is throwing 70 or 80 ft quite frankly it doesn't matter what they use. You could always run two divisions, Division 1 where the tackle is locked down and Division 2 where you can use discarded lines.

Cheers Paul
I quite like this, we could turn the current B100 category into an 'open' division and then change the rules for the 'elite' group.

The ethos of the #5 and #7 events was that people brought their fishing tackle to cast, not custom tournament gear (we have the ST27 and T38 for that). My own take on this is that if you don't fish the rod with a #5 or a #7 respectively, then you shouldn't cast it. (We'll judge this by sniffing the rod to see if it smells fishy enough :sick: ).

How you write the rules to reflect this though, I don't know. Perhaps we abandon them and just go shooting heads all the way? Personally, I think I'm coming round to locking down the lines.

How about the #5 and ST27 events to WC rules and then two wildcard events where we all cast the same outfit (we could chuck some weird stuff in :D )?
Ben_d

BFCC Rules

Post by Ben_d »

So the DT that vision makes would be a wf too?
Well it's hardly a DT is it if either end is different so, for want of a better term, I would but it into WF category given the current nomenclature that we have for describing fly lines.
The ethos of the #5 and #7 events was that people brought their fishing tackle to cast, not custom tournament gear

I frequently don't have the prescribed line on a rod when I'm fishing James. I generally choose a line and then put it on whatever rod I have that casts is best, maybe I'm just weird!
I've fished my 9 rated rod with 7 & 10 lines on it and I've fished my 5 rod with 4 & 6 lines on it. For long enough I was using a rod rated for a 6 with a lump of #11 on it. How does that work in terms of me bringing my fishing gear to compete with?

Cheers

Ben
Lasse Karlsson

BFCC Rules

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Ben_d wrote:
So the DT that vision makes would be a wf too?
Well it's hardly a DT is it if either end is different so, for want of a better term, I would but it into WF category given the current nomenclature that we have for describing fly lines.

Cheers

Ben
Hi Ben

Well the difference is one end has a short frontaper, the other a longer. Still only two tapers for a double taper...

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Ben_d

BFCC Rules

Post by Ben_d »

I would say that most, including me would expect a DT to be symmetrical. It certainly does not fit the mould.

Cheers

Ben
James9118

BFCC Rules

Post by James9118 »

Ben_d wrote: I've fished my 9 rated rod with 7 & 10 lines on it and I've fished my 5 rod with 4 & 6 lines on it. For long enough I was using a rod rated for a 6 with a lump of #11 on it. How does that work in terms of me bringing my fishing gear to compete with?

Cheers

Ben
You deserve to be bound to a Helios 2 and burnt as a witch :D .
Ben_d

BFCC Rules

Post by Ben_d »

Can I take it from your response James, that you are now in complete agreement with my take that rod ratings are bollocks and you should just cast what works for you? :D
scotty9

BFCC Rules

Post by scotty9 »

I was just thinking, if I make it to the Glasgow event next week and bring my 6 weight HT, can I use this in the 5 comp? Obviously we know the 5 weight and the 6 weight are the same blank but that's not what the little number on the rod says...
Ben_d

BFCC Rules

Post by Ben_d »

scotty9 wrote:I was just thinking, if I make it to the Glasgow event next week and bring my 6 weight HT, can I use this in the 5 comp? Obviously we know the 5 weight and the 6 weight are the same blank but that's not what the little number on the rod says...
Only if I can use my Access 907 TF which is almost the same in terms of ERN Scott but it has #7 written on it :D

Running with current BFCC rules as I understand them then it would not be legal :glare:

Hope some of you guys can make.

Cheers

Ben
Barrio

BFCC Rules

Post by Barrio »

You can borrow my 5 Scotty ;)

Cheers
Mike
Barrio Fly Lines : At the heart of your fishing ..... lies a great fly line!

Return to “Casting Sport”