PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Welcome Jason Borger

Moderator: Paul Arden

Jason Borger
Answers: 0

Welcome Jason Borger

Post by Jason Borger »

Flyfishfairwx wrote:
If you had to pick one fly rod speed to handle every type of casting situation a fly fisher could find him or herself in what would it be, from small streams - ocean, zero wind to open flats head wind, small fish - to bill fish..

slow, med, slow-med, med-fast, fast.

I travel around the western states and western Canada , and carry only 3 fly rods, a 3wt, a 5wt and a 6wt, sometimes an 8wt for saltwater, pike and BIG Bulls.

Thanks for the great answer.
I'd go with well-designed fast myself. Something like a Sage XP in terms of flex profile.
I grew up surrounded by fish, flies, and water.
Jason Borger

Welcome Jason Borger

Post by Jason Borger »

Flyfishfairwx wrote:I have been thinking of switching over to all DT Fly lines for this coming season, do you find that your casting (stroke/Speed/stop/drift/pickup etc) has to be adjusted for the difference between WF and DT lines on the same rod?
My advice would be to keep right on casting. You may notice some variations at short ranges if the front tapers are significantly different, and if you're coming from a short-head WF, the DT can feel different with longer carries. But...I wouldn't get too wrapped up in thinking about it. You can just do what I do anytime I pick up any different rod and line combo: make small adjustments in the first minute or three and then carry on.
Jason Borger

Welcome Jason Borger

Post by Jason Borger »

John Finn wrote:Hey Jason, Just a quick one. What was your most memorable fish of last season and why?.................John
A small mountain-stream rainbow I caught on a tenkara system. Fish was unremarkable in-and-of-itself (pretty, mind you, but it was no 10-pounder), but it was the seeming perfection of the presentation that made it my fave. The rod I had was overkill for the situation (even going by long-rod tenkara standards), but I was able to dance a caddis with such apparent realism behind one small boulder that I almost didn't care that a fish took. I just enjoyed watching how well everything worked together in that little spot. It was one of the best moments of dry fly fishing that I've had in years. Had an even better moment on a stillwater a few years before that, but this just stuck out in my mind as the most memorable fish/fishing situation of the season.
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Welcome Jason Borger

Post by Paul Arden »

Great stuff Jason, just reading through all your posts (sorry I missed a couple of days with late nights and early morning starts!). :D
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Jason Borger

Welcome Jason Borger

Post by Jason Borger »

Paul Arden wrote:Great stuff Jason, just reading through all your posts (sorry I missed a couple of days with late nights and early morning starts!). :D
Thanks, my friend. Hope you're having some entertaining moments guiding in the jungle... :pirate:
Walter

Welcome Jason Borger

Post by Walter »

Paul Arden wrote:Great stuff Jason, just reading through all your posts (sorry I missed a couple of days with late nights and early morning starts!). :D
It didn't have anything to do with it being your move did it? :p :pirate:
"There can be only one." - The Highlander. :pirate:

PS. I have a flying tank. Your argument is irrelevant.

PSS. How to generate a climbing loop through control of the casting stroke is left as a (considerable) exercise to the reader.
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Welcome Jason Borger

Post by Paul Arden »

Christ no time for Scrabble at the moment Walter. I've been living on 2-4 hrs sleep per night for the last 9 days. Last night I got 5 hours and almost slept in!

Jason - one day you must come and fish here. I think you will absolutely love this type of shot fishing. It's the hardest most-challenging fishing/casting I've done!

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Jason Borger

Welcome Jason Borger

Post by Jason Borger »

Paul Arden wrote:Christ no time for Scrabble at the moment Walter. I've been living on 2-4 hrs sleep per night for the last 9 days. Last night I got 5 hours and almost slept in!

Jason - one day you must come and fish here. I think you will absolutely love this type of shot fishing. It's the hardest most-challenging fishing/casting I've done!

Cheers, Paul
I'll add to the list! And thanks for having me, Paul. I truly look forward to seeing who you have on the Board next.

Return to “A week with...”