PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Gear

Moderator: Paul Arden

Glenda
Answers: 0

Gear

Post by Glenda »

Hi Jason
What should be in a fly fishers Arsenal please? By that, I mean rods, lines and flies for both, let's say, fresh and salt water.

I have a 4, 6, 8 & 10 wt rods (one of each only) but thinking of buying another 6 and a 7 wt. Reels-wise I have a four, a six that also converts to the eight and a ten. Lines are mostly floating with intermediate for the six and eight reels/rods.

Fly-wise, I have a load of trout flies.....all useless to me now but I have purchased some bass and Saratoga flies as well as a few clousers and deceivers which is more of what I need for salt water. I will also be learning how to tie my own salt water flies in the very near future.

TZ if you are reading this, could you please run a few fly tying sessions for salt water species?
"my biggest worry is that when I am dead and gone my wife will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it". ......Koos Brandt
t.z.

Gear

Post by t.z. »

Hi Glenda ... I guess you should use this thread instead. - http://www.sexyloops.co.uk/theboard/vie ... 106&t=1857

Will see what I can do about saltwater stuff. Very imaginary things ... ;-)
Glenda

Gear

Post by Glenda »

Thanks tz
"my biggest worry is that when I am dead and gone my wife will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it". ......Koos Brandt
Jason Borger

Gear

Post by Jason Borger »

Glenda wrote:Hi Jason
What should be in a fly fishers Arsenal please? By that, I mean rods, lines and flies for both, let's say, fresh and salt water.

I have a 4, 6, 8 & 10 wt rods (one of each only) but thinking of buying another 6 and a 7 wt. Reels-wise I have a four, a six that also converts to the eight and a ten. Lines are mostly floating with intermediate for the six and eight reels/rods.

Fly-wise, I have a load of trout flies.....all useless to me now but I have purchased some bass and Saratoga flies as well as a few clousers and deceivers which is more of what I need for salt water. I will also be learning how to tie my own salt water flies in the very near future.
As before, I'll answer in paragraph order.

As far as arsenal goes, I'd acquire based on what you're doing (you can always add more! :cool: ) There are so many fly fishing possibilities that it's hard to buy a few items and have yourself totally covered. That said, what you've got can be extended with some line options and so forth to provide some solid light/mid fresh and saltwater usage. Really, look at lines, they can be the magic ticket to new angling opportunities.

Clousers and Deceivers are a good place to begin in general terms. Lots of fish (trout and bass, too) will eat those. Caught plenty of fish myself on both, and on variations of them, too.
I grew up surrounded by fish, flies, and water.

Return to “A week with...”