PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Rick Hartman - Welcome!!

Moderator: Paul Arden

Rick Hartman
Answers: 0

Rick Hartman - Welcome!!

Post by Rick Hartman »

easterncaster wrote:Hi Rick,

I'm curious about your casting grip:
- what is it?
- has it too changed over time?
- different grips for different rod wgts?

etc..

Thanks!

Craig

Great to hear from you again, its been a long time. My grip is a modified thumb on top. My forefinger is of course on the opposite side of the grip, but slightly higher than the thumb. It has changed over time, but not since I have been distance casting. I use the same grip on all rod weights, and put more emphasis on the haul hand. I don't know if that answers the question, let me know.
John Finn

Rick Hartman - Welcome!!

Post by John Finn »

Rick Hartman wrote: I am not going to open a can or worms with loop shape in regards to end of your stroke, or the stop.
Ah go ahead Rick ,this place thrives on worms. :p ........John
Eagle Crest

Rick Hartman - Welcome!!

Post by Eagle Crest »

Hi Steve, I had alligator gar in Louisiana - I think on Clousers but my memory in these things is not the best. I'll find out when I'm back over the weekend.
Paul,

I've tried several varieties of Clousers, mostly in 2014. So it may be worth trying again. I've tried a great many streamers, including the 'rope' fly. I suspect part of my problem is I am casting from shore. A kayak would be ideal, but that's not likely going to happen. I've spent a considerable amount of time watching them for behavioral clues. I've watched a dozen or more YouTube videos, and nothing so far have worked fir me.

The spotted gar in the pond cruise the surface after sun-down, as many as a hundred of them. I've used floating streamers, unweighted sinking streamers, weighted fast sinking, ... I've got an impressive collection in all sorts of colors, too. I lead a surface wake, can sometimes I get the gar to turn towards the fly, but it rarely leads to a strike. I can throw a fly into a group of wakes, and I get them to turn, but again, rare strikes. I've been to the old Intercoastal and the new Intercoastal with locals, and they do bait and a bobber method and have told me that gar don't aggressively attack a live fish. However, I've witnessed several times, spotted gar cruising under a weed patch, and when bream or bass breaks to make a run, I seen 'pike' like speed and attack.

I'm after them, because they're not easy.

I apologize Rick, in holding this conversation with Paul on your thread.

Steve
Veni, Vidi, Pisci
Walter

Rick Hartman - Welcome!!

Post by Walter »

Rick Hartman wrote: Hell yes, I am all about steroids in casting, lets make it a freak show, especially for the women, LOL. I assume the question was a joke.
Sorry Rick - I meant stereos. Can't stand all that loud music... :p

Paul needs all the help he can get. He turned 39 again this year. :D

Thanks for the answers to the serious questions.
"There can be only one." - The Highlander. :pirate:

PS. I have a flying tank. Your argument is irrelevant.

PSS. How to generate a climbing loop through control of the casting stroke is left as a (considerable) exercise to the reader.
petevicar

Rick Hartman - Welcome!!

Post by petevicar »

Rick Hartman wrote:There are a couple of full time fly guides down here, myself, and Eric Glass.
Weather here can be a bit tricky. What time of year did you come down?
I think Eric was one of the guides I fished with on that trip.

I think it was in May but it was a long time ago.
IANACI
John Waters

Rick Hartman - Welcome!!

Post by John Waters »

We've got dope testing in Australia and we all passed.
Walter

Rick Hartman - Welcome!!

Post by Walter »

You were all dopes?

PSS. How to generate a climbing loop through control of the casting stroke is left as a (considerable) exercise to the reader.
Rick Hartman

Rick Hartman - Welcome!!

Post by Rick Hartman »

I have never passed the dope test. Wait............
Rick Hartman

Rick Hartman - Welcome!!

Post by Rick Hartman »

petevicar wrote:
Rick Hartman wrote:There are a couple of full time fly guides down here, myself, and Eric Glass.
Weather here can be a bit tricky. What time of year did you come down?
I think Eric was one of the guides I fished with on that trip.

I think it was in May but it was a long time ago.

I would be surprised if Eric was not the better of the two by a long shot. May can be quite windy if a system comes through. It is common for that time of year.
Walter

Rick Hartman - Welcome!!

Post by Walter »

Rick Hartman wrote:I have never passed the dope test. Wait............
I've never failed one. Maybe I should move to Australia. :p

Return to “A week with...”