PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Welcome Peter Hayes!

Moderator: Paul Arden

jphasey
Answers: 0

Welcome Peter Hayes!

Post by jphasey »

Paul Arden wrote:It would be very interesting to try fishing with the tackle they used in those times. I'm quite sure it's perfect for nymphing! When I was French Nymphing in Bosnia on the Ribnic I overhead one guy tell another that I wasn't "fly fishing" - in fact he obviously wanted me to know :cool:

I'll order up a copy of your book when I'm back in the UK. It sounds like the sort of thing I need!
Perfect tackle indeed for modern day nymphing Paul but make no mistake, these old guys were always trying to imitate the hatched and floating dun. The literature makes that clear and it's a major point in my book to show that they weren't wet fly anglers as most people have said...

When people quote Walton & Cotton's advice to 'fish fine and far off', bear in mind that they COULD NOT fish further off, effectively, than two rod lengths. Owing to having short, fixed lines. When reels and longer lines came in, their flies sank!

BTW Skues' jealous fellow-members at Abbots Barton on the Itchen tried to get him out of the syndicate on the grounds that in nymphing he was not fly fishing, and hence was in violation of their lease. He hung on in there for another 2 or 3 years tho'.
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Welcome Peter Hayes!

Post by Paul Arden »

I don't know Peter and i just assume they're all cool guys. Wouldn't it be great to meet them!

Incidentally I think intuition beats intelligence in FFing. I know it's a marketed part of your book. Best is both of course but intuition comes first. What do you think?

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
jphasey

Welcome Peter Hayes!

Post by jphasey »

Absolutely Paul, but I'm off to exercise it--it's opening day on the Wilton Fly Fishing Club's little winterbourne river, the Till!
I'll be back later...
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Welcome Peter Hayes!

Post by Paul Arden »

Have a great day!! :D :D

Flycasting Definitions
jphasey

Welcome Peter Hayes!

Post by jphasey »

Thanks Paul--I did.
The ravens were croaking, the woodpeckers drumming, and the cock pheasants calling each other out.Dry Fly, Large Dark Olive version of my Kiss my Cul, floating tippet all day, 18 trout and one very small grayling. Waded up 1 mile of limpid chalk stream, walked a mile back, enough for a first day.
Think this is my last day on the Board, so thanks to you and all the many posters who've made it a lot of fun--feel I've made some friends and I've learned some good stuff too.
For those in the Northern Hemisphere, here's wishing you a great new season!
John Finn

Welcome Peter Hayes!

Post by John Finn »

Thanks Peter ,really appreciated the thought and effort that went into your answers. Looking forward to reading your book. Best regards..................John
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Welcome Peter Hayes!

Post by Paul Arden »

Many thanks for your time, Peter - and of course for writing a really great Flyfishing book! I hope we meet up this summer - maybe a trip to Bosnia where we can float tippets? :) Hell, maybe we can use 18ft rods like they used to fish! That would be fun :cool:

Cheers Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Massew

Welcome Peter Hayes!

Post by Massew »

Thank you Peter for taking time to answer our questions. I very much look forward to your book.

Cheers, Mathias
IFFF CCI
"The motives of fishermen are dreadfully obscure" - David Eddings
Massew

Welcome Peter Hayes!

Post by Massew »

Graeme H wrote:
Massew wrote:Hi Graeme. Interesting. Is it then a waste of time to tie blue versions of your normal flies, because the normal colours work just as well?

Cheers, Massew
It's only a waste of time if you've never caught a fish with a blue fly ... ;)

Cheers,
Graeme
Haha, good answer. I have caught several, including last year's first on a dry, but now I don't feel as confident like I used to about the blue flies. :D
IFFF CCI
"The motives of fishermen are dreadfully obscure" - David Eddings

Return to “A week with...”