PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Where angels fear to tread, I’ll just wade right in

If you are new to the board please tell us about yourself...
Katrine Kirk
Answers: 0

Post by Katrine Kirk »

Sexy loops? Is this really a dating site, as Lasse Karlsson claims? :D
There has to be a story behind such a strange name.

My name is Katrine.
My story is short.

I am an absolute novice in fly fishing, but the bug holds a visceral grip on me. My enthusiasm far surpasses my skill. Since I first held a fly rod in May 2017, I’ve yearned to master the graceful dance of the line in the air. Fly casting is proving so much more difficult for me than I expected it to be. My progress is painstakingly slow. But this place, Sexyloops, is truly a treasure trove of useful information and fascinating nerdy discussions. I’m out of my league here, and I enter this space with humility and a hint of trepidation.

For me, learning something new that requires mastery of movement is never just a learning by doing process. I want to understand the technicalities and think about things as I learn from my experience. I read, watch tutorials and probably ask too many annoying questions about this burning new passion.

I expect that I’ll primarily be fishing for sea trout, wading waist deep on the coasts of Denmark. I enjoy sea kayaking, and I will be experimenting with a fly rod from my kayak, once I have mastered the basics of casting. There are other dreams on the whispers of the wind: a float trip on the Anvik in Alaska, revisiting a beautiful ranch I am connected with in Paradise Valley in Montana, wading through rustling river waters in New Zealand.

Several of my acquaintances in the Danish fly fishing community have recommended that I join the fray at Sexyloops. Perhaps I have worn them out and they are hoping to unload me on all of you. So here you have me, for better or worse … and verse. Very poor poetry tends to burst out of me on occasion. Consider yourself warned. If it gets unbearable, you are free to suggest I go bother some other forum.

Katrine

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

:D :D Welcome go the Board, Katrine! Please carry on wading. One thing you'll find out about Lasse is that he's usually wrong about everything :cool:

How is the flycasting Video manual working out for you? Next week or soon after I'll have a bunch of casts with targets that you can practise.

I'm off fishing. Back later!

Cheers,
Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Katrine Kirk

Post by Katrine Kirk »

Thanks for that speedy response, Paul!

I haven't gotten around to the flycasting video manual just yet. It took me a while to figure out what to write on my introduction (and read lots of other introductions, too). ;) And now it's high time I caught some sleep.

I'm glad you let me in, and I hope that I can contribute constructively, eventually.
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

That's great Katrine. I think it must be quite hard at first fishing in the Danish sea. Are you fishing shooting heads? Fly casting is hard at first but it gets easier believe me :)

I fished with Viking Lars one time in a part of Denmark I can't pronounce and first cast he caught a nice sea trout. Four days later he caught another fish, this time a smaller one, and then asked me why he was catching ALL the fish?

I told that joke in Denrmark at the Fly Festival but no one laughed. Apparently they couldn't believe anyone had caught two fish in four days :cool:

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Katrine Kirk

Post by Katrine Kirk »

Great story!

Well, I have probably made contact between flies and saltwater on about 10 ocassions now, and I have yet to land a fish. I have, however, caught a good sized crab that I managed to sling across the surface before I realized what was up. My feathery little shrimp must have been quite a delicacy, because the critter was not about to let go. I slung him around a few more times to no effect, and eventually had to peel his claws off my shrimp delight.

I have a female acquaintance who has spin fished a lot. She joined a casting workshop I organised and then went straight from that one session fly fishing on the coast. On that first trip, she caught two small sea trout.

Perhaps I simply lack the knack. But stubbornness is not in short supply with me. I will get there, eventually.

I have been using a short Rio Outbound WF #7 till now, but last week I switched to a shooting head. It's a completely different feeling, and it takes some getting used to.

I'm off to practice a roll cast on a lake in central Copenhagen. Under cover of semi-darkness, I hope not to attract too much attention.

Katrine
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

From what I can see Imaginary Sea Trout fishing in Denmark is mostly about location, casting, covering as much water and persistence. :)

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “New to the Board, Introductions”