PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

New Kid

If you are new to the board please tell us about yourself...
Tehuringa
Answers: 0

New Kid

Post by Tehuringa »

G'day All,

New kid checking in.... a Kiwi living in rural South Australia.... bugger all fishing around here but I have a decent size dam stocked with trout to blow the cobwebs off my casting and scare a few fish.

I grew up in Nth Canterbury... my parents have a property there so the Hurunui, Hope, Nina, Lewis, Waiau & Lakes around Lake Sumner are my home stomping ground (just came home from three weeks around there, McKenzie Country and Central Otago). Most of my fishing in AUS has been done in NSW... mainly around Oberon but I've done a bit in VIC & TAS also as well as some missions in Colorado.

Just getting back into fly-fishing after a few years off..... need to get my casting squared away again and would love to work my way to gaining a casting qualification and improve my fishing.

Thanks for setting me up Paul and good to be here.

TH
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

New Kid

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi TH, and a big welcome to the Board!

Some great fishing where you grew up. Would be hard to go elsewhere and still be excited about trout!

There are lots of ways to go about certification, there are even one or two Masters in SA. (One certainly!).

What do you think are your weak points?

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Tehuringa

New Kid

Post by Tehuringa »

Cheers Paul,

Yeah, I was certainly lucky regarding where I grew up!

To be honest, it is all a bit shaky atm after a decent layoff so I have a long way to go and any certification is a while off yet, but at least I have a goal and the space to get down and practice for 30 minutes each night.

I'd love to get in touch with any SA-based Masters and organise some sessions so I'll look into that

Cheers

Dave
Graeme H

New Kid

Post by Graeme H »

G'day Dave,

Welcome to the forum.

Cheers,
Graeme
FFi CCI
Tehuringa

New Kid

Post by Tehuringa »

Graeme H wrote:G'day Dave,

Welcome to the forum.

Cheers,
Graeme
Cheers Graeme
Paul Arden
Site Admin

New Kid

Post by Paul Arden »

Yeah a couple of those rivers have some spectacular gorges!

One of my favourites; http://www.sexyloops.com/picofday/thena ... ail1.shtml http://www.sexyloops.com/picofday/pinkp ... ho46.shtml

I'm currently working on a project that you will find interesting. I'll explain more next week!

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Paul Arden
Site Admin

New Kid

Post by Paul Arden »

And this is the hardest gorge I've fished! http://www.sexyloops.com/picofday/trans ... on33.shtml

Flycasting Definitions
Tehuringa

New Kid

Post by Tehuringa »

Awesome!... some of those pictures look very familiar :whistle:

I've had some pretty hairy experiences fishing gorges, but it is just too tempting peering over the edge of a bluff and seeing submarines cruising around way down below.... one things for certain, you're pretty much guaranteed of getting wet :D
Paul Arden
Site Admin

New Kid

Post by Paul Arden »

It's amazing the rivers you can cross when committed. It's more about learning what you can't cross. One of the rivers you mention is one of my two NZ favourites - the other being in Fiordland. Great 4x4 country too. There is an outdoor bath on Lake Tennyson. I've had good times there :cool:

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Tehuringa

New Kid

Post by Tehuringa »

Paul Arden wrote:It's amazing the rivers you can cross when committed. It's more about learning what you can't cross. One of the rivers you mention is one of my two NZ favourites - the other being in Fiordland. Great 4x4 country too. There is an outdoor bath on Lake Tennyson. I've had good times there :cool:

Cheers, Paul
I reckon I can guess which one is your favourite.....great country up there.... I'm planning a couple of missions for later in the year... one is a solo hike up one of those rivers mentioned(unless I can con someone else to come with me) and the other down in Central Otago catching up with some mates.

Return to “New to the Board, Introductions”